Author Topic: New issue with ice troller 2.0  (Read 2665 times)

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
New issue with ice troller 2.0
« on: Mar 22, 2015, 08:19 PM »
Ice Toller 2.0 has been acting up recently.
First it was getting harder and harder to get the unit to turn on. I could get it to run on "Simulation" mode, but it would take many, many attempts to get it to stay on and run "real time".

Well, after using it today and going through he same routine, it wouldn't shut off!

It took all my willpower to refrain from throwing it against a brick wall (out of frustration).
I'm going to shoot Marcum an email tomorrow to see what can be done.

I thought after the last repair to the transducer cable connection that getting the "performance package" would eliminate my worries about system failures, but I guessed wrong!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline rlvb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The fishie says "Why you looking at me like that?"
Re: New issue with ice troller 2.0
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22, 2015, 09:59 PM »
I wish I'd never seen mine either.nothing but problems. Mine wouldn't shut off either, had to pull power wire off battery, then it wouldn't power on after that. Had to send it in and they did repairs and that now works. But ever since I got it for x-mad when in the bottom 5ft zoom, I can be in say 26fow, then it decides it's in 25fow, so what shows as the bottom keeps jumping up and down in 1 ft jumps, Jumps up and down all day, drives you nuts. Then it can work good at times, seems when it marks fish on the bottom it starts jumping again. Told them about this issue also but came back wanting me to throw the darn thing against a wall.i wish they'd take this back and I would get another 5.6 like I allready have, love the 5.6. Call Chris at marcum and send it in they will get your issue fixed I hope. good luck!
born to fish---forced to work

Offline Cantgetenough

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2015, 10:37 PM »
I've had mine for 3 seasons not 1 issue. Sorry to hear about yours fisherman tim Marcums customer service is top notch. rlvb just sounds like you need to turn the sensitivity down. contact Marcum and get there opinion Good luck
Be Safe, Be Smart, Have a Great Time!!!

Offline pete/ny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 23, 2015, 09:16 AM »
I bought the Troller the first season they were introduced.Not a problem.Then got an email saying they would do an upgrade on it for me free.I sent it in and 2 weeks later back to me,no charge.Its been working fine and love it. I am selling my Narcum VX-1 Pro as the Troller does eveything I need just fine. Its like a GPS though, you have to keep using it so you don"t forget how to when time comes. Marcum is at times alittle hard to get in touch with but they will get back to you. Great Customer Service, at least for me and as seen on here others have had good luck with them also.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Mar 23, 2015, 09:49 AM »
I wish I'd never seen mine either.nothing but problems. Mine wouldn't shut off either, had to pull power wire off battery, then it wouldn't power on after that. Had to send it in and they did repairs and that now works. But ever since I got it for x-mad when in the bottom 5ft zoom, I can be in say 26fow, then it decides it's in 25fow, so what shows as the bottom keeps jumping up and down in 1 ft jumps, Jumps up and down all day, drives you nuts. Then it can work good at times, seems when it marks fish on the bottom it starts jumping again. Told them about this issue also but came back wanting me to throw the darn thing against a wall.i wish they'd take this back and I would get another 5.6 like I allready have, love the 5.6. Call Chris at marcum and send it in they will get your issue fixed I hope. good luck!
mine did this also try putting it in auto mode.mine  was doing this in manual mode and wouldn't lock on the bottom unless it was in auto mode using the zoom feature.

Offline rlvb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 23, 2015, 04:43 PM »
mine did this also try putting it in auto mode.mine  was doing this in manual mode and wouldn't lock on the bottom unless it was in auto mode using the zoom feature.
thanks for that info Dr. I will for sure try that. I should be able to get out a few more times yet. Hope that takes care or my issues.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 23, 2015, 09:38 PM »
Emailed the company today and they said to send it in and they'll take care of it under warranty.

Hopefully this will be the end of these issues.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #7 on: Mar 24, 2015, 07:04 AM »
thanks for that info Dr. I will for sure try that. I should be able to get out a few more times yet. Hope that takes care or my issues.
no problem I called Marcum tech about this issue.just press the range key then the up or down key and cycle thru the different depth ranges past the 20 ft scale till the A appears on the screen for auto range mode.i had mine in manual range and the screen would jump in zoom.if switched on manual range mode it remembers your settings and doesn't switch to auto range after each use.hope it helps it worked on mine.  they also said in zoom make sure you turn your sensitivity down too.good luck.

Offline PKAuD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 24, 2015, 06:55 PM »
Is your unit running off of AAs? Mine had the exact problem, then got the performance pack with a 12v. Powers on and shuts off with no problems. It acts like a different machine with all that power.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 24, 2015, 08:54 PM »
I was running it off a 12v with the performance pack. I also had the AA batteries in it as well.

The problem was that it would take multiple attempts before it would turn on.
It would "beep" and show the initial 30 foot depth range and then turn off.
Then at the end of the day it wouldn't turn off.

I emailed the company and they had me send the unit in for repairs under warranty.

Offline rlvb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 24, 2015, 10:39 PM »
I've never had the AA batteries in it yet I got the power pack right away. I'm definitely going to turn my sensitivity down some although i believe it's never higher than 6. It's just showing my lure most times. I really hope this thing works out as I love fishing with the showdown.

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 28, 2015, 06:03 PM »
 marcum puts out the worse quality product I've seen at these price points!  Ive experienced 8 failures, 5 lx3tc's and 3 showdowns, and I'm not alone, would never buy another!!1
Ladywood, Manitoba, Canada

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #12 on: Mar 28, 2015, 07:03 PM »
marcum puts out the worse quality product I've seen at these price points!  Ive experienced 7 failures, 5 lx3tc's and 3 showdowns, and I'm not alone, would never buy another!!1
me neither. I got rid of all my marcum gear .

Offline rlvb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 29, 2015, 02:22 PM »
Got out yesterday on the ice with the troller. When I had it a home yet I went thru thru the motions that the Dr. Suggested. You can do this out of the water can't you??? Got it in the water turned it on it read the bottom and it the bottom started jumping up and down. Had sensitivity at 6. Went to five and couldn't see my lure and bottom was still jumping. Do I pressed the range button and it read A that it was in auto and the screen blinked with the A on it like 5 times or so and then it locked in on the bottom. Then it was good, it locked in on the bottom and it never jumped up and down. But it doesn't seem to remember it. I would move drill holes and the bottom would jp as started above until I press range and A starts blinking,locks on
The bottom and no jumping. Shouldn't this remember it???

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #14 on: Mar 29, 2015, 04:07 PM »
Got out yesterday on the ice with the troller. When I had it a home yet I went thru thru the motions that the Dr. Suggested. You can do this out of the water can't you??? Got it in the water turned it on it read the bottom and it the bottom started jumping up and down. Had sensitivity at 6. Went to five and couldn't see my lure and bottom was still jumping. Do I pressed the range button and it read A that it was in auto and the screen blinked with the A on it like 5 times or so and then it locked in on the bottom. Then it was good, it locked in on the bottom and it never jumped up and down. But it doesn't seem to remember it. I would move drill holes and the bottom would jp as started above until I press range and A starts blinking,locks on
The bottom and no jumping. Shouldn't this remember it???
it should stay in auto mode when switched.what depth scale was it going to after auto mode  ?mine would stay in auto until I changed it to manual mode.press range then up arrow or down should go to auto and remember it.and you can do it out of the water too.

Offline rlvb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 29, 2015, 05:16 PM »
it should stay in auto mode when switched.what depth scale was it going to after auto mode  ?mine would stay in auto until I changed it to manual mode.press range then up arrow or down should go to auto and remember it.and you can do it out of the water too.
it was in the 20ft scale.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #16 on: Mar 29, 2015, 05:31 PM »
it was in the 20ft scale.
yeah I don't know the troller 2.0 is the only thing from Marcum I had luck with.i had 2 of them and ended up selling them both along with a vx1 and lx3tc which were not very reliable for me. you might have to send it in for  a check up in the off season.try not turning it off hole to hole/switching spots and see if it stays in auto or switches back to manual mode. not that you should have to..its not looking good bud but at least you can fish with it.

Offline rlvb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 29, 2015, 08:24 PM »
yeah I don't know the troller 2.0 is the only thing from Marcum I had luck with.i had 2 of them and ended up selling them both along with a vx1 and lx3tc which were not very reliable for me. you might have to send it in for  a check up in the off season.try not turning it off hole to hole/switching spots and see if it stays in auto or switches back to manual mode. not that you should have to..its not looking good bud but at least you can fish with it.
i wasn't even shutting it down between holes, get to different spot put it down hole it starts jumping, press range it shows A and blinks like 5 times and it's in the 20 ft scale showing all 20 ft. Press zoom for 4 seconds and it zooms on bottom 10 ft....press zoom again for 4 seconds and it zooms in on bottom 5 ft. And it's locked in and doesn't jump. I always am fishing in zoom bottom 5 ft as I target perch.ok Dr. I have a question. My lx3 quit working this year, I don't here the ticking pounding noise coming from the transducer!!!! Is it worth fixing?? What's wrong with it???

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #18 on: Mar 30, 2015, 12:18 AM »
No ticking from the transducer means its bad.email marcum and I'm pretty sure they will replace it.maybe without charging you if you get the right service tech.motor failure in the newer units are pretty common also but that is the display rocking back and fourth .also make sure your battery is in good fully charged shape and check all connections.you can send them the lx3 for 80 bucks plus shipping and they will tune it up and get it working again.the transducer alone cost about that if you have to buy another one.id get it back up and running making sure its fixed and SELL it. haha. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.