Author Topic: Nanofil for ice fishing?  (Read 1975 times)

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
Nanofil for ice fishing?
« on: Mar 22, 2015, 09:11 AM »
The first couple times out I was very pleased with 6# Nanofil with a 6' fluoro leader.  This morning, however, I had problems.

It was cold and windy and ice beads were forming on the line at about the jigging depth.  Normally I pinch and slide them off, but in so doing this with Nanofil the line abraded.  Little fibers were coming off, and, wouldn't you know it, I broke the line twice - once on a decent fish.

I guess the suppleness of the line is due to the lack of a coating, and thus when I was sliding the ice beads they were chewing up the line.

Going to have to try something different.  I don't particularly care for mono for deep jigging, but it is easy to clean off the ice beads.  Anyone have a better braid to try?

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
Re: Nanofil for ice fishing?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24, 2015, 07:24 PM »
All I use is nano line 3-6# depending on what I'm fishing for but I've landed pike over 35" with 3# nano line I love the stuff I think the white is much better than the colored line hope this helps
Never to many short poles

Offline isoseeker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 24, 2015, 10:27 PM »
Nanofil belongs in the the landfill.

Stopped using it years ago even for summer fishing, the line twist was the worst of any lines I've used.

I started using PowerPro Ice line and yeah it ices up but slides off easy with your thumb and index fingers.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy...

Offline Chuck Enwinde

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 26, 2015, 03:40 AM »
It's about the only superline that works well at very cold temps because it doesn't absorb as much water as the others - but it has a very short lifespan.  Once the fibers start to fray it gives the water something to cling to and that's it.    Once a section starts to fray - cut it off - it will get worse quickly.     

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 26, 2015, 08:04 AM »
I broke off a nice laker the other day with a nanofil loaded Sienna.  I'm beginning to wonder if the ice around the line roller or maybe even the guides has a part in wrecking the line.  This time the line broke right at the spool/bail.  I had peeled off and replaced the first 50' and thought I had good line left on the spool.  This is only about two months old.

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 28, 2015, 08:59 PM »
Nanofil is best used inside or above freezing temps. when the guides or line roller ice up it will fray the line.

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT OTHERS THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS
« Reply #6 on: Mar 28, 2015, 11:24 PM »
i love nano...i just simply cut off the frayed couple of feet and keep on keepin on. Its great stuff summer or winter in my opinion. It frays in the summer also but not for some time before i have to shorten. Ive only trimmed mine this winter once and ive been out a ton.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.