The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: lakers today, 1st try at a short video  (Read 1354 times)

Offline wmhunts

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wes McRae
lakers today, 1st try at a short video
« on: Mar 21, 2015, 09:47 PM »
 I'm attempting to jump on the video bandwagon. lets see how it goes, this first one is short and I have no editing experience yet.

Kill em and grill em! lets not start another pissing match over catch and eat vs catch and release. I saw an old friend at the gas station and he was smiling ear to ear when he walked away with a fresh fish

Come on get on the ice fish!!

Offline Registered Kayak

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ..............and then there were none.
Re: lakers today, 1st try at a short video
« Reply #1 on: Mar 21, 2015, 10:15 PM »
 >:( look at all those fish you coulda put ..................... j/k ;) that is an admirable catch haha. I have been daydreaming of catching lakers, one of the few fish I haven't caught. I have no quad or gps. Good job!

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2015, 05:36 AM »
WH,  Looks like a nice catch and you'll be a producer in Hollywood in no time ! :)

Offline paddock

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2015, 07:23 AM »
Awesome catch! I was out on the big lake saturday afternoon and got skunked! Jigging in 40-70 fow and nothing.

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2015, 07:53 AM »
Nice fish!  I haven't managed to catch a laker yet.  I've gone out a couple times jigging for them.... This makes me eager to get out on the main lake again while it's stile iced!

Offline thefishingweatherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2015, 09:36 AM »
Nice catch! We landed 7 yesterday, including two that we sight fished less than 6 feet below the ice! It's crazy how aggressive lakers can be... We had a group of three slashing at our jigs right under the ice for a few minutes. So cool to watch!

Offline wmhunts

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wes McRae
« Reply #6 on: Mar 22, 2015, 09:38 AM »
uhh! careful guys this howling wind has made the main lake ice pretty sketchy, I wont be going out again. when the wind howls you can hear the ice cracking and its not the regular growing pains. Just be safe, its changing fast
we were pretty much S!&&!ng ourselves on the way off the ice, and a big sigh of relief when we got on the dirt

Offline wmhunts

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wes McRae
« Reply #7 on: Mar 22, 2015, 09:42 AM »
We had 3 follow us up from the bottom( a long ways down) all the way to just under the ice and one was a big sucka! So cool to see them swimming around down there. we had quite a few followers, but a lot more ended up with hooks in there mouths. Im getting better at it there is definitely some interesting tactics to learn

Offline gogetthegaff

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 22, 2015, 11:54 AM »
Very nice catch. You can keep (legally) and eat as many lakers as you want as far as I'm concerned !! There's no shortage, and to me not great table fare. Not bad smoked though.
Ice fishing is a social activity that may occasionally be interrupted by the catching of fish.

Offline Troutmagnet

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 22, 2015, 07:48 PM »
Nice video man, that is a fine catch...enjoy!

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 23, 2015, 06:48 AM »
Nice batch of slimeballs right there.  Fire up the smoker and throw them on.

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #11 on: Mar 23, 2015, 09:05 AM »
Nice Haul!!! That's a good day by anyone's standards.
I fished Champlain on Sunday.... Yes Sunday  :cookoo:. The wind and temps were unforgiving out there. But it was my only opportunity to fish there until next year, so we made the trek and toughed it out..... Goose egg. Saw some good ones chasing the jigs but wouldn't commit.
Chasing Ice

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 24, 2015, 08:20 AM »
.............  Fire up the smoker and throw them on.

That's what I was going to say, too.  They're pretty good smoked.  We baked a couple that we caught on open water in April 2yrs ago and they were not very good eating.  Nothing like the lakers from the NEK.  They are fun to catch and I do plan to chase them when I can get the boat out, but I'm not planning on keeping any unless I can find someone to smoke them for me!

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #13 on: Mar 24, 2015, 08:24 AM »
Try grilling the fillets on charcoal with some Teriyaki glaze (not sauce. Glaze), similar to how you would grill salmon.
Best lakers I have ever eaten came off the grill this way. Less oily and have a nice smokey flavor. My wife is not a fan of eating them, but she loved it cooked this way.
Chasing Ice

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 24, 2015, 09:20 AM »
Try grilling the fillets on charcoal with some Teriyaki glaze (not sauce. Glaze), similar to how you would grill salmon.
Best lakers I have ever eaten came off the grill this way. Less oily and have a nice smokey flavor. My wife is not a fan of eating them, but she loved it cooked this way.
im not a fan of lakers to eat but i just might keep a couple and try that recipe. thanks

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 24, 2015, 11:35 AM »

That sounds good!  I might have to try that this year.  Thanks!

I was also told the old plank grilling method works pretty good.  Glaze the laker in your favorite glaze and put it on a cedar plank on the grill.  When fish is cooked, feed it to the cat and eat the plank! ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.