Author Topic: EXTRA PURPOSE FOR ICE FISHING SLEDS  (Read 3057 times)

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
EXTRA PURPOSE FOR ICE FISHING SLEDS
« on: Mar 21, 2015, 08:42 PM »
was out on the ice today. had 8 3/4" crystal clear ice with hardly any bubbles in it. some melted snow/ice on top. had to grab a sandwich from shore and notice the shore ice was long gone. looked like a river cutting thru it with the wind pushing the water. had about 12 feet of open water to get back to shore. so i tied a long rope to my pull behind giant cabelas sled and tossed the other end of the rope to shore. walked into the water, not knowing if i would sink in the bottom or not. it was a hard bottom and got to shore ok. left boot got some water, but had the bata's mickey mouse boots on. grabbed the long rope and picked up the slack and pulled all of my gear back to shore. looked like a mini-flat bottom boat. the front end lifted higher than the back like a big boat trying to get on plane. was interesting to see how well it looked just like a boat coming right at me. i did try to stow away the gear so it was evenly distributed before hand. just glad i traveled light today.
it took on maybe 2/3 inches of water on the sides at the most. front end was out of the water. was fun to see.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: EXTRA PURPOSE FOR ICE FISHING SLEDS
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22, 2015, 12:11 AM »
Sure they'll float as long as you don't over load them and they don't have holes in them to let the water in.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2015, 05:32 AM »
holes in the bottom? I thought that was to let the water out!

Offline Bucket Brigade

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wait...I have a bite
« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2015, 07:03 AM »
A plastic tub that floats...imagine that!
When there is ice on the lakes, I never make employee of the month!

Offline williev18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2015, 09:47 AM »
I use mine to pull decoys behind my kayak during duck season, works great, just have to load it even and stay out of rough water. 

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2015, 10:16 AM »
I  have the Frabil Commando and I was able to purchase the sled portion separately when the local store was blowing them out. So I now pull my Commando out in the spare tub. This allows me to setup where I want and leave it set there. If I feel adventurist like I do at times I just load the needed gear auger, rod or two and tackle and will ice hop without setting up and tearing down. Comes in handy on some of the not to friendly lake areas to get in and out where you can split the load and make for an easier pull up and down banks and hills.
May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #6 on: Mar 24, 2015, 07:47 AM »
With all the crap that my Dad and I put in our jet sled, it probably would sink right to the bottom.  ;)
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:
My Blog: https://jacobcrawford8.wixsite.com/pboutdooradventure

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 24, 2015, 08:20 AM »
With all the crap that my Dad and I put in our jet sled, it probably would sink right to the bottom.  ;)
x2

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Mar 24, 2015, 08:52 AM »
A plastic tub that floats...imagine that!

i could imagine an empty plastic tub to float!
now, if we put you in it, would it still float?
or how about hundreds of dollars worth of gear that weighs a lot and would be ruined if they got soaked. would you be so willing to see if your things float for the first time?

i mean could you imagine that a single sheet of typing paper would float?

you would have to experience the ordeal to appreciate it.

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 24, 2015, 09:00 AM »
I use mine to pull decoys behind my kayak during duck season, works great, just have to load it even and stay out of rough water.

X2

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 24, 2015, 02:25 PM »
I've actually paddled my big jet sled around just for fun one day.  We were fishing next an outlet and the fish were not biting so I grabbed my Avalanche shovel for a paddle and off I went.  It was a little tippy at first but once I found my CG I had no problems moving up and down the creek.  I also had a buddy take one down some class 1 whitewater, he got a little wet but he stayed upright.  There might have been a little alcohol involved and a slight wager, needless to say I had to buy the beer on the next trip.
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 24, 2015, 02:33 PM »
Duck,goose decoys over swamp and corn fields. I even have throw a buck or two in them, how use deer hauler on wheels or my quad when possible.

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #12 on: Mar 24, 2015, 06:01 PM »
x3 except my dad and I just use it to take the bags down the steep bank to the swamp landing. Our jet sled has been through a lot and it's still holding up well. Very tough sled in my opinion.
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:
My Blog: https://jacobcrawford8.wixsite.com/pboutdooradventure

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 24, 2015, 08:36 PM »
You could zip tie a couple of swim noodles to the top of the sides and keep water from coming over the sides , when it gets tippy .
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #14 on: Mar 25, 2015, 06:03 AM »
I use mine to drag deer out of the woods, wood for the wood stove, ice fishing, a snow toboggan, etc.   I had to add plastic strips to mine as the bottoms were too worn out. 
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 25, 2015, 07:04 AM »
You could zip tie a couple of swim noodles to the top of the sides and keep water from coming over the sides , when it gets tippy .
as I was scrolling down, I was thinking this same thought and this post was the very next post! I got a little chuckle out of that!

Offline antelope76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 25, 2015, 08:13 AM »
I use mine for a deer drag, firewood and hauling sap out of the sugarbush when the snow is to deep for my truck.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Mar 25, 2015, 09:09 AM »

before going out on the ice, that day, i was thinking how to make it more buoyant too. so boat bumpers came to mind. adding them to the sides and rear with bolts and fender washers.

my buddy thought of the swim noodles too.

Offline Disco Bobber

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 26, 2015, 06:02 PM »
I have found these sleds extremely useful for deer hunting.   I have drug stands in to the woods and deer out.   It makes loading them in the truck much easier - I use a 2x8 for a ramp.  It enables me to load a full-size deer by myself without much strain.  While transporting, the blood stays in the sled.  It also serves as a drip-pan while the deer is hanging in the garage.   When I am done I use it to haul the bones/scrap for disposal. 

Offline jonny boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 28, 2015, 07:17 AM »
Now that is why i love this site. 1 problem and many GREAT ideas to help. thanks for the wit. jonny boy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.