Author Topic: Tuesday's ESL perch hunt!  (Read 1813 times)

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
Tuesday's ESL perch hunt!
« on: Mar 20, 2015, 11:01 AM »
Got on the ice without issues in the morning but coming off in late afternoon was an adventure of  "mud boggin'. Snow tires surprisingly work well in the stinky slough mud  :o The fishing was slow and 3 of us moved 4x trying to locate a school of jumbo (13 inches and over) perch. We managed a few good sized ones at the first spot we tried but then it was only dinks after that. We then did the unthinkable……we left fish to find fish  ::) but that's what it takes sometimes when you're targeting bigger fish. The 2nd and 3rd move provided nothing. Our 4th move took us to a spot where I did well the year before. It didn't take long for my buddy to land a few Master sized perch meanwhile I was happy just to land any perch as my lure was getting mauled by countless 20-24 inch Northerns. BTW…lots of pike carcuses laying all over the ice.  I was happy at day's end that I hadn't lost any tackle but I did have to change my fluoro leader when I got home. (doing equipment check before next trip).
Drilling was doable with a 12 inch extension this time and the ice surface was already getting that frazzled soft look. Drilling produced snow instead of ice chips. Not looking too safe anymore imo.
Blue Igloo :tipup:
Blue Igloo  :tipup:

Offline firefighter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Tuesday's ESL perch hunt!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2015, 02:54 PM »
Was a pleasure "rippin" a few lips with ya Bud! ;D

FF
He who hesitates is lost...

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2015, 03:09 PM »
Was a pleasure "rippin" a few lips with ya Bud! ;D

FF
Same here…. but we have to stop doing the one and only trip always at the end of the season. Next season let's rip some lips together….. more often  @)

Offline Blue Mago

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 20, 2015, 04:25 PM »
Some friends were there last weekend and they did awesome ! will have to visit the place some day as well
Enjoy The Ride ,You only Get One Chance

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 21, 2015, 06:58 AM »
Some friends were there last weekend and they did awesome ! will have to visit the place some day as well
Don't wait too long. I've noticed a BIG change from just 3 years ago. Pike maulings were a rare event 3-4 years ago and MA perch were everywhere. Now the reverse seems true from my experience. Anyone else notice this trend? Cut open a pike's stomach and you'll find that their main forage now is bugs. I've even seen video from ESL where pike are picking up discarded minnow pieces off the bottom. Even the lake levels have dropped this year making last year's great spots fishless.
Hope for the best but prepare for the worst. Good things never seem to last anymore…….

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 21, 2015, 10:00 PM »
Don't wait too long. I've noticed a BIG change from just 3 years ago. Pike maulings were a rare event 3-4 years ago and MA perch were everywhere. Now the reverse seems true from my experience. Anyone else notice this trend? Cut open a pike's stomach and you'll find that their main forage now is bugs. I've even seen video from ESL where pike are picking up discarded minnow pieces off the bottom. Even the lake levels have dropped this year making last year's great spots fishless.
Hope for the best but prepare for the worst. Good things never seem to last anymore…….

Thank the internet.

Offline Blue Mago

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 21, 2015, 11:48 PM »
I wouldn't doubt the change , my friends were actually taking pike ? although they did get a good catch of Perch , pike was the main fish being sought .
Thank the internet.
..............That's why I never post pictures or tell numbers , just enough info to wet the thoughts ........
Enjoy The Ride ,You only Get One Chance

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.