Author Topic: Mansfield Hollow open?  (Read 1687 times)

Offline Flagwatcher

• IceShanty Rookie
Mansfield Hollow open?
« on: Mar 19, 2015, 08:42 AM »
Been really busy the last couple weeks with work and haven't been out in several weeks. I don't see any recent reports or info about Mansfield being open or being fished. I've seen a lot of info about Batterson being open now but nothing about Mansfield. Does anyone know if it is now open? Does anyone know what the ice conditions are there? Planning a trip there for Sunday if it is open. Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Offline Blowin Holes

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Mansfield Hollow open?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19, 2015, 09:10 AM »
I talked to an Enconn officer last week and they said it was open so I went and fished the upper hollow Tuesday.  The majority of the ice is about 19 inches but use extreme caution.  There are many weak spots and the edges are melting fast so i would stay away from them. I brought a big board to get on the ice and you should prolly too.

Offline imsafanct

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 19, 2015, 09:55 AM »
I have a very frank question about pike fishing at Mansfield...Is this place worth it to fish for pike or not? I'm talking open water, not ice. There are reports all over various message forums about Mansfield being either a really hard place to find fish at or a place that just doesn't seem to have enough fish to be worth a trip. But every so often you read a post saying that the place has some real monster pike in there and that you just need to know the place to find them.

I've fished Mansfield once, at least 10 years ago, but I wasn't targeting pike then. I've seen photos of decent pike caught there on a friend's cell phone, but that's the only "proof" I have seen of pike fishing success there.

The reason I ask is that we should have our Jon boat ready for ice-out, whenever that is. I'm anxious to get back on the river, but the water clarity in the river sucks early in the season. We're thinking of hitting Mansfield for our first trip of the season, now that there is no closed season. It's closer to us than Bantam, Winchester or Pachaug.

So, seriously, what's the deal with open water pike fishing at this place?

Thanks.

-Eric

Offline Flagwatcher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 19, 2015, 10:18 AM »
Thank you very much for the input. I will definitely be bringing a board with us.

Mansfield Is great for pike out of a Jon boat with an electric motor. Troll with live shiners lip hooked. You will have a lot of fun. Been doing it for years. There are some big pike in there.

Offline Jessox80

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "The malevolent aged grin..."- Hughes
« Reply #4 on: Mar 20, 2015, 03:06 PM »
I have a very frank question about pike fishing at Mansfield...Is this place worth it to fish for pike or not? I'm talking open water, not ice. There are reports all over various message forums about Mansfield being either a really hard place to find fish at or a place that just doesn't seem to have enough fish to be worth a trip. But every so often you read a post saying that the place has some real monster pike in there and that you just need to know the place to find them.

I've fished Mansfield once, at least 10 years ago, but I wasn't targeting pike then. I've seen photos of decent pike caught there on a friend's cell phone, but that's the only "proof" I have seen of pike fishing success there.

The reason I ask is that we should have our Jon boat ready for ice-out, whenever that is. I'm anxious to get back on the river, but the water clarity in the river sucks early in the season. We're thinking of hitting Mansfield for our first trip of the season, now that there is no closed season. It's closer to us than Bantam, Winchester or Pachaug.

So, seriously, what's the deal with open water pike fishing at this place?

Thanks.

-Eric

There are some giants there and it is a tough place to fish. The first big pike I ever caught was from a canoe at Mansfield, but it was in ideal fishing conditions. I also once caught a gigantic crappie there, on a rapala sized for pike fishing, that may have contended for a state record had I kept it. It's large and has deep water, which usually means giants of multiple species (I think a record rainbow trout was caught there as well as that giant catfish that came through the ice).
Pike fishing is a like a cruel mistress that is too beautiful to leave.

Offline icechaser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 20, 2015, 03:43 PM »
Suick muskie thrillers' and rapala magnum floaters do well there too-pike like big baits.-true for open-water too-or trytrolling an old-fashioned 1oz. dardevle red+white-all have brought up nice pike from there for me in the past.

Offline Blowin Holes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 20, 2015, 04:22 PM »
icechaser when ur casting for them what kind of line/leader do u have on ur rod? do people put steel leaders on rods?

Offline icechaser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 20, 2015, 05:29 PM »
Always use some type of steel.-One time I had a pike cut my line when I was using a slug-go 6" there-cut it twice cleanly on the strike; third time she got hooked in the corner of the jaw-a nice 31 incher-luck that she was so aggressive+that it didn't cut me that third time-Now I even use tyable leader w/ a tiny swivel on my slug-go's when I'm in pike territory.

Offline imsafanct

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 21, 2015, 06:43 AM »
Very cool. That's encouraging.

I have a couple 7" Suick thrillers which I throw every so often but admittedly, I've never spent enough time with them to tune them properly or develop an effective retrieve using them.

I caught my PB 37" pike on the river last Fall using a Mepps double blade musky marabou and I've got a bunch of other large pike/musky stuff.

Sounds like we may make Mansfield our first stop of the year.

Thanks guys.

-Eric

Offline Flagwatcher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 21, 2015, 09:48 AM »
I use 17-20 lb extra tough mono and a six inch 20lb steel leader. Has worked pretty well so far.

Offline icechaser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 22, 2015, 10:21 AM »
-A favorite of mine forpike-and BIG bass.-bring pliers+ work the steel tail downa bit until you can produce an action sort of like a downward zig-zag type darting-Best retrieve for them seems to be jerk-jerk-pause-explosion!-Also adding some sparkle flakes w/ clearcoat really brings out their attractiveness to predatory fish.-good fishing all!

Offline imsafanct

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 24, 2015, 07:38 AM »
Icechaser,

With regards to the thrillers, I've read that bending the front line tie left or right has an effect on the direction that the lure dives. I've bent the tails down a bit for a sharper or shallower dive angle, but I got somewhat frustrated because I couldn't get the lure to dive straight. They would always dive down to one side; not straight down or alternating sides. Any idea how to solve this issue?

Also, have you tried the new freshwater Shimano Waxwing; the one that was designed specifically for pike/muskie/peacock bass? I have a Waxwing 118 saltwater "jig" and the slalom action is killer when you point the rod tip straight at the lure and retrieve fast.

Thanks.

-Eric

Offline icechaser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 25, 2015, 09:35 PM »
-Always thought that was part of their charm-naw-mine always dart off to the side- but you can kind of get-em to dart side-to side if you work 'em right-either way they work.- The rapala sounds interesting- I'll have to give one a spin when things open up.-

Offline ATrexOnTheIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • WOMAN SEEKS LARGEMOUTH BASS
« Reply #13 on: Mar 26, 2015, 08:22 PM »
Love this place. hit it many times every year for 20 years way before they stocked pike. got many nice pike using 5.5" money minnows w/ belly weight hooks. Best places to try first are around the small island to the left on the boat launch side and way to the back left on the same side. weed city but they are in there big time.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.