The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Moosehead slush?  (Read 3847 times)

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Moosehead slush?
« on: Mar 18, 2015, 07:02 AM »
Anybody been up since Sunday's snow?  Curious what I'm in for slush wise.  Headed up Thursday night with my son and some other Dad's and sons, will be in the southern end of the lake.  Thanks in advance. :tipup:

Offline Huemorin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Moosehead slush?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2015, 07:10 AM »
I left there Sunday but I still don't think there will be any slush just yet as its been too cold up there.  I think the traveling will be better on the lake because this past weekend there was very little snow and what there was, was really hard packed drifts which made for very slow going with gear.  Good Luck

Offline RXMAINE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 2015, 01:42 PM »
I was on the south end of the lake yesterday and from Sandy Bay up through by Moose Island and Black Sand Island the sluch is over your boots. just keep the hammer down on your sleds and you will be OK
Semper Fi

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 18, 2015, 01:50 PM »
I was on the south end of the lake yesterday and from Sandy Bay up through by Moose Island and Black Sand Island the sluch is over your boots. just keep the hammer down on your sleds and you will be OK

That is not what I wanted to hear at all..... :'(

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 18, 2015, 01:54 PM »
That is not what I wanted to hear at all..... :'(

Sounds like a job for the undertaker!

I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 18, 2015, 01:56 PM »
Sounds like a job for the undertaker!

Thankfully he's busy putting someone other than us in the ground this weekend. ;D

Offline fishmoresurfless

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 18, 2015, 02:11 PM »
Real fisherman aren't bothered by a little slush!

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 18, 2015, 02:13 PM »

Ugh sounds like a great time but make the best of it

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 18, 2015, 02:14 PM »
Real fisherman aren't bothered by a little slush!

Weak effort, have fun. ;D

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #9 on: Mar 18, 2015, 04:22 PM »
you'll make a lot of friends on here with a awesome first post like that!

First post since joining more than 4 years ago to boot

Offline Shrinkage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Fish Therefore I Am
« Reply #10 on: Mar 18, 2015, 04:25 PM »
Maybe he was stuck in the slush for the last 4 years.  ;D ???
;D
May God bless and keep you always, may your wishes all come true.
May you always do for others and let others do for you.
May you build a ladder to the stars and climb on every rung,
May your hands always be busy, may your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation when the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, may your songs always be sung.
May you stay forever young.

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 18, 2015, 05:31 PM »
Really?

A little slush, describe what you mean by that?  If your a walk on pulling a light weight kiddie sled with one person's gear that's one thing.  On the other hand if your running serious snowmachines, while pulling jet sleds fully loaded through slush up to a foot deep this becomes a nightmare real fast and becomes an all out battle that can take 3 to 4 full grown men hours to extricate yourself from depending on how large the flooded area of slush under the snow has spread to and how far you have to go to escape the area.  Get the picture yet?  ::)
WARNING: Do not attempt this on your own on Maine Lakes with current slush conditions!  Unless of course you are with a film crew making a new reality TV show with a theme of macho man with no brains making a fool of himself, like so many others.

Just lived that scenario a few weeks back. 1/2 mile from shore 1 sled 1 jet sled, 2 fat guys  4 1/2 hours later we were off the ice

Offline Out4Trout

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Waiting for the Annual trip up North
« Reply #12 on: Mar 18, 2015, 05:47 PM »
Conditions change daily Eric, hopefully you'll have good going. Have a great trip and take lots of pictures.  :tipup:

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 18, 2015, 06:02 PM »
 :roflmao:  Thanks for coming to my defense guys but you can remove all your posts, he's a bud and it's his camp we are going to! ;D.   4 year lurker though, that might be a record! ;D

Offline EmeraldShiner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live on for those that have been lost.
« Reply #14 on: Mar 18, 2015, 06:22 PM »
Just lived that scenario a few weeks back. 1/2 mile from shore 1 sled 1 jet sled, 2 fat guys  4 1/2 hours later we were off the ice

Sorry to hear that fishingsurveyor,

We ran into a situation at East Grand that was not an issue in the morning upon arrival, but after we drilled our holes to fish with and the day progessed we found we had a problem, apparently we were in a low spot on the lake and the high pressure weather system pushed the water up and out of the holes.  We drlled 25 holes for our five man party, this quickly flooded the area under the snow which we found out about with stuck machines in the afternoon.  Nothing too bad though, couple of incidents that took several hours to take care of while waiting for flags, still we had five guys to help get the mired machines out.  Would never want to be in that predicament alone with no help in sight, would be a long walk off the Lake with hat in hand asking for help.

All part of the adventure, hard work and the challenge to catch Fish through the ice, well worth it.

EmeraldShiner  :tipup:

Offline EmeraldShiner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live on for those that have been lost.
« Reply #15 on: Mar 18, 2015, 06:38 PM »
:roflmao:  Thanks for coming to my defense guys but you can remove all your posts, he's a bud and it's his camp we are going to! ;D.   4 year lurker though, that might be a record! ;D

:nono:

Offline LINGUINI

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 18, 2015, 07:59 PM »
all I can say is good thing we left on Sunday  Before Sunday their were some slush pockets around some of the shore lines. But now with 28 inches of new snow on the lake the slush is all over the place  Good Luck and bring some long ropes with you 

Offline Queequeg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 18, 2015, 08:43 PM »
I left there Sunday but I still don't think there will be any slush just yet as its been too cold up there.  I think the traveling will be better on the lake because this past weekend there was very little snow and what there was, was really hard packed drifts which made for very slow going with gear.  Good Luck

We left Sunday too, fished the north end of the lake and there was no slush to be found.  The middle to the edges were locked up solid, quite a few large pressure ridges, but you could get around or over all of them.  Going was tough as packed drifts mixed with bare patches made it a bit bumpy.  The wind today will likely have moved the snow that fell this past weekend a lot and may make the going slow still with new and perhaps larger drifts.  Sorry not much info to add, but if the southern end is bad you could always trailer up to Rockwood.  Goodluck.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Mar 19, 2015, 05:11 AM »
all I can say is good thing we left on Sunday  Before Sunday their were some slush pockets around some of the shore lines. But now with 28 inches of new snow on the lake the slush is all over the place  Good Luck and bring some long ropes with you

28" of new snow since Sunday?  Really?  I had heard they gotta foot or so Sunday or so I thought.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 19, 2015, 05:14 AM »
We left Sunday too, fished the north end of the lake and there was no slush to be found.  The middle to the edges were locked up solid, quite a few large pressure ridges, but you could get around or over all of them.  Going was tough as packed drifts mixed with bare patches made it a bit bumpy.  The wind today will likely have moved the snow that fell this past weekend a lot and may make the going slow still with new and perhaps larger drifts.  Sorry not much info to add, but if the southern end is bad you could always trailer up to Rockwood.  Goodluck.

Thank you.  I really was expecting just rough going, not major slush.  Talked to a guy yesterday that had just returned from Northeast Carry that said slushy and slow, not a good combination. ;D

Offline BrownTroutBoy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Mar 19, 2015, 10:51 AM »
Thank you.  I really was expecting just rough going, not major slush.  Talked to a guy yesterday that had just returned from Northeast Carry that said slushy and slow, not a good combination. ;D
Could just come fish east grand with me at least there will be 8 of us to move stuck machines.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 19, 2015, 12:19 PM »
Could just come fish east grand with me at least there will be 8 of us to move stuck machines.

If I find a foot of slush upon arrival, Game and Mini - Game will be headed your way!!! ;D

Offline BrownTroutBoy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Mar 19, 2015, 12:26 PM »
No quick way from "moosid" to EG!

Offline saltyshores

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 19, 2015, 12:27 PM »

It's the latest IceShanty "meet and greet".  Meet us at the slush pool and greet each other as we pull everybody's sled out!  ;D :o ::)

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Mar 19, 2015, 12:30 PM »

Nope. :'(

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Mar 19, 2015, 12:41 PM »

That's what I was thinking

Offline cjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Mar 19, 2015, 12:44 PM »
Plane

Offline BrownTroutBoy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Mar 19, 2015, 12:45 PM »
Plane
wonder how those pull out of the slush? I'm hearing reports that EG is pretty nasty too.

Offline teampar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Mar 19, 2015, 12:51 PM »
wonder how those pull out of the slush? I'm hearing reports that EG is pretty nasty too.

Spoke to a buddy who fished it yesterday, once they drilled their holes it was not alot of fun.  ;D

Offline BrownTroutBoy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Mar 19, 2015, 12:56 PM »
Gunna be cold tonight hope that's in our favor, otherwise it will make for a long 4 days.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.