Author Topic: All done Ice fishing  (Read 1713 times)

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
All done Ice fishing
« on: Mar 18, 2015, 06:39 AM »
Went to the Blue Mesa Yesterday and found some places lost 4" of ice in the last week. Mushy edges in the afternoon.  Didn't catch a thing in Elk Creek so we headed to open water and I caught a nice 16" Bow. Came home  and cleaned out the truck and put away all the Ice gear. Going to hit the river and any other open water I can find from now on.Signing out until next year.
                   <===Lefty===
<===Lefty===

Offline HDSIV

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: All done Ice fishing
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2015, 10:08 AM »
Ya my dad and I went last Saturday, started at Iola caught one small bow. Moved to elk creek and action was awesome till about 4 pm then died, dad caught a nice 20 inch bow, very slushy and water coming up everywhere, can't remember last time I ice fished in a t shirt all day, that was my last trip also. Time to get the boat ready for summer. See ya'll next year. Tight lines

Offline brown-time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig one up for me
« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 2015, 07:10 PM »
Yep. Put all the sleds n stuff in the shed till December. Took the boat to GJ to get ready for Rifle Gap boat ramp on April 1st. Gunnison  River till then. Good chattiing with you guys all winter!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Mar 19, 2015, 05:57 AM »
browntime,do you ever run into those dogs by the Gunnison River? The ones that guard the sheep? I hate those things, I think next time I go to the river I will have some spray. I think if they can post signs telling people there are guard dogs down there we still have the right to be there also.
<===Lefty===

Offline shutupandicefish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 19, 2015, 07:59 AM »
browntime,do you ever run into those dogs by the Gunnison River? The ones that guard the sheep? I hate those things, I think next time I go to the river I will have some spray. I think if they can post signs telling people there are guard dogs down there we still have the right to be there also.

The big white ones? I've seen them quite a few while driving around the state, luckily never while I've been on foot, they seem really mean! Always worry about coming across one while hiking or fishing...

Offline HDSIV

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 19, 2015, 08:02 AM »
great pyrenees, aka sheep dog. As long as your not threatening their sheep you'll be fine. Bear spray good idea, they are actually really good dogs and are just doing their job

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Mar 19, 2015, 08:43 AM »
Im prolly done.  But never say never.  I ice fished as late as June 8th a couple years ago.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline brown-time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig one up for me
« Reply #7 on: Mar 19, 2015, 09:36 AM »
Yep  I see them but they never bothered me.  My neighbor with sheep has them and they are territorial and come after me hunting on my own place but have never bitten me.  Too many coyotes n lions here not to have them. But always carry pepper spyay and that does it.  Might be on the river early Saturday if the road dries out.  White EC Silverado.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Mar 19, 2015, 12:24 PM »
Last time I saw them by the river I was on my ATV with the wife and they came charging because the sheep started running. Wasn't going to chance a dog bite. I will be buying some pepper spray next trip to GJ.
<===Lefty===

Offline mtnhillbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 20, 2015, 12:22 AM »
Tread lightly with this dogs.. I have had many encounters while.bow hunting.. they usually standoff or back.down if you yell and.move toward them but on two separate occasions at.dark one dog came in straight at me on a pack trail and.fortunately they are white because I saw a flash of white in my peripheral.. a second dog was flanking me... I have drawn my side arm.numerous times at these critters and hope to not have to pull the trigger on em..

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #10 on: Mar 23, 2015, 02:56 PM »
I'm hoping to hit the high country ice one last time, but the open water is heating up down here in Denver. 
My brother and I have been finding a few during the vampire shift...nothing huge so far, but beats sleeping.  Sleep is overrated, anyway.  ;D

Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Mar 23, 2015, 03:10 PM »
Nice Eyes. I could hit the Blue mesa once or even twice more but I have been getting ready for other things. Got to get the ATV's ready to go and then there is the Rivers.
<===Lefty===

Offline lvrider

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 29, 2015, 10:30 AM »
i really dont see sheep dogs attacking you unless you try cupping a feel on one of their sheep...

Offline IceOsprey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 29, 2015, 07:39 PM »
I pulled out the boat today and let it idle for about 10 min. The ice gear is going to get put away this week. I am ready for the open water. I seem to do better from the boat. I have yet to catch my limit on the ice except for stockers.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Mar 30, 2015, 07:21 PM »
i really dont see sheep dogs attacking you unless you try cupping a feel on one of their sheep...
Have you ever come with in 100 feet of one guarding the sheep? I guaranty they will come at you.
<===Lefty===

Offline IceOsprey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 30, 2015, 07:42 PM »
Quit creeping around in the woods after dark near the flock and you should be fine. You creepers!

Offline lvrider

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Apr 02, 2015, 07:29 PM »
nope never encountered sheep fishing. but im pretty sure theres not a need to get that close to them. must be some killer fishing near this sheep farm you guys fish! or is that what you guys say ;]

seent a mountain kitty swim across granby. then a big buck swam across the next day. the buck was casting distance. didnt think hed fit in the live well.

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Apr 03, 2015, 10:50 AM »
Had a pack of 5 coyotes on Granby last Friday, pretty cool watching them!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Apr 04, 2015, 06:47 PM »
nope never encountered sheep fishing. but im pretty sure theres not a need to get that close to them. must be some killer fishing near this sheep farm you guys fish! or is that what you guys say ;]

seent a mountain kitty swim across granby. then a big buck swam across the next day. the buck was casting distance. didnt think hed fit in the live well.
These Dogs and sheep are allowed to cruise around near the Gunnison River where a lot of people like to fish. It is BLM land.
<===Lefty===

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.