The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Sebago Ice Conditions  (Read 5049 times)

Offline Shawn Breton

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Sebago Ice Conditions
« Reply #30 on: Mar 26, 2015, 09:15 AM »
So we didn't end up on Sebago, ran into a guy and his son at Sebago bait that were having great luck on Parker Pond. My buddy was convinced once he saw a couple of pic's of the salmon they were hitting. We changed plans and spent a long cold windy day on Parker ...
One Bass ...
I think you mean Panther . No salmon in Parker in Casco.
there actually are salmon in Parker pond not many but there in there

Offline Fish Wayniac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Mar 26, 2015, 02:30 PM »
Yhea my bad!Salmon wasn't listed in the Maine fish and depth maps. Maybe they get in from Pleasant lake from the brook at the causeway. Sorry this is a Sebago post.

Offline maineute

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Some call it fishing, I call it catching
« Reply #32 on: Mar 27, 2015, 10:53 AM »
looking to go out tomorrow, has anyone been to the state park lately? It was good 2 weeks ago, hate to drive all that way to find out the ice is gone. I know that river eats it up with this rain.

Offline TwoLightsKid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Mar 27, 2015, 01:14 PM »
Not sure about the park, but still plenty of ice in other spots on the lake.  I'm sure you can find somewhere to get on.

Offline fishless12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Mar 27, 2015, 02:11 PM »
Couple things about ice fishing Sebago:

If you don't have a flasher, you're wasting your time.

You can set traps if you want, but you'll catch more jigging with a flasher.

If you're marking fish and they aren't biting, switch lures, lighten your leaders, etc. Keep switching it up until you find a combo that works.

Just because they bit really well in one spot one day doesn't mean they'll bite well there the next.

Matt and I fished a completely different portion of the lake on Sunday vs Saturday. We literally got home, had dinner and opened up the chart and found a drop off that looked good, one that I have trolled in the past. Matt had a fish on in the first two minutes of fishing, in the first hole that we drilled just to check the depth.

When it comes to numbers of togue in Sebago, there are tons. I will say that making them bite is tough. I've never gotten above 10% of the fish i've marked to bite, and it would be an absolute slaughter if I could get 50%.

In the summer, if a person knows what they're doing and is honest to goodness targeting togue, they can catch them one right after another at any hour of the day, most days. Most people who troll Sebago are only interested in Salmon, maybe that's part of the problem?

The number of fish in Sebago are not the problem. I blame their unwillingness to bite on two things:

1. Sebago's extremely clear water makes it so you can't get away with using heavy leaders, or poor presentations.

2. The abundance of bait makes it so the fish can eat whenever they want and thus aren't starving to death, ready to slam anything that moves, all the time.

It's a challenging lake to fish, but that only makes your success more rewarding.
You can always find me where the wind breaks.

Offline sebagosalmo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Mar 27, 2015, 02:18 PM »
Well said Fishless12

Offline Chebeague

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Mar 27, 2015, 07:59 PM »
If you don't plan to move around a lot it is worth setting traps. When the jigging is slow the traps can save the day. The trap fishing on sebago can be fantastic just like the jigging.

Offline cchase

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Mar 28, 2015, 09:03 AM »
After the year I Had on sebago I am a believer in the Touge fishing. The last 8 times I went out I landed fish and quality ones too. Had a couple double digit days in there as well. I will say this if you think you are going to go out set five traps and catch a dozen fish you're nuts I spent years watching flags and drinking beer out there with nothing to show.I did not even bring traps the last couple of times I went. I was amazed by the amount of fish I marked with the flasher this year that would charge in than disappear. You have to be willing to adapt and you have to realize that with a lake that size the fish have many places to hang out.  3 inch tubes with a jig head(espically olive or white) and a orange and silver sweedish pimple. I do not put cut bait on my jig anymore either.  I know some people swear by it but I spent years not catching anything out there with it and just do not like how stupid it makes the presentation look.  I never fished in more than 70 FOW either I know everyone talks about the alewives down deep with fish all around them and I am sure there are. I just personally would rather not fish if I have to fish that deep. 

Offline Chebeague

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Mar 28, 2015, 09:32 AM »
Many days I don't set traps so I can stay mobile.  I also think jigging togue is more fun usually.
I have had many days on sebago were I couldn't get 3 traps set all day because the flags wouldn't stay down.
As well as many days were traps out performed jigging.
Like I said I do more jigging but learning to fish traps there is worth your time.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.