The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Sebago Ice Conditions  (Read 5048 times)

Offline Squidy

• IceShanty Rookie
Sebago Ice Conditions
« on: Mar 17, 2015, 11:27 AM »
Hello,
We're thinking about doing a late season trip to Sebago this Sunday. Does anybody have any updated Ice conditions they can share?
Thanks,
Squidy

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Sebago Ice Conditions
« Reply #1 on: Mar 17, 2015, 12:08 PM »
looked like 12 to 15 inches where i was sunday on the big shoal in the big bay but i am not crossing that pressure ridge again by the northwest river

Offline WishnIwasFishn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 17, 2015, 02:29 PM »
Fished Friday night into Saturday out by Frye Island, plenty of ice (15-18" I'd say). We were only a couple hundred yards out but looked pretty safe a ways out beyond us. Can't speak to other parts of the lake but more than enough ice where we were.....if I weren't so chicken s**t I would've driven out there

Offline Shawn Breton

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 17, 2015, 08:31 PM »
The state park has a pretty big pressure ridge wich has opened up couple times.

Offline Squidy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 18, 2015, 11:26 AM »
Our Plan is to park in Raymond and fish in the Jorden bay area. Hows the Ice holding up in that area? Anybody else planning on Fishing Sebago This Weekend?
Thanks,
Squidy

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 18, 2015, 03:50 PM »
The catching is not very productive.  All the so called experts say there are plenty of Togue in there. I have been there plenty of times
this season and have not caught much. And I check with other fishermen and the first couple of weeks fish were being caught in the
southern end but recently I haven't seen but 1 fish. See a few on the finder but they don't bite and are gone by 10 oclock.

Offline TwoLightsKid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 18, 2015, 04:50 PM »
Jordan Bay and Lower Bay have been frozen since early January, so they've been pounded pretty hard at this point.  Plenty of ice still on the big part of the lake, so you might be better off in that area, just watch out for opening pressure ridges.

For what it's worth, I haven't done very well on the traditional jigs like bigger bucktail stinger jigs, airplane jigs, or large Swedish pimples this year.  Fish seem to be keyed on smaller stuff.

Offline MGK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 18, 2015, 05:00 PM »
The catching is not very productive.  All the so called experts say there are plenty of Togue in there. I have been there plenty of times
this season and have not caught much. And I check with other fishermen and the first couple of weeks fish were being caught in the
southern end but recently I haven't seen but 1 fish. See a few on the finder but they don't bite and are gone by 10 oclock.

You don't understand what type of fishery you have in your back pocket.. I have fished countless togue lakes in this state and have never seen one that could hold a match to sebago as far as numbers of fish.

Offline gradysjeep

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 18, 2015, 05:15 PM »
Jordan Bay and Lower Bay have been frozen since early January, so they've been pounded pretty hard at this point.  Plenty of ice still on the big part of the lake, so you might be better off in that area, just watch out for opening pressure ridges.

For what it's worth, I haven't done very well on the traditional jigs like bigger bucktail stinger jigs, airplane jigs, or large Swedish pimples this year.  Fish seem to be keyed on smaller stuff.

x2 I was typing the same thing when I saw this post.  I would like to petition to change the name of Lower Bay to Shack Bay :roflmao:  I can attest there were plenty of togue there earlier in the season.  Super Bowl Sunday I caught 10 togue less then a half mile from the station.

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 18, 2015, 06:37 PM »
You don't understand what type of fishery you have in your back pocket.. I have fished countless togue lakes in this state and have never seen one that could hold a match to sebago as far as numbers of fish.

What I understand is how many fish I catch and how many I actually see caught...not hearsay.
I have been very successful there in the past, I can go to my fishing and hunting diaries which go back to 1967 and see what I have done in the places I have fished  in the past. This season for me is the worst it has been for Togue. The states plan to reduce the Togue population may be working
so there are some large fish but not an awful lot in total population.

Offline fishing207

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 18, 2015, 06:46 PM »
Looking to fish Sebago for the first time this weekend and was hoping someone could point me in a direction as where to fish or access? I'll be on foot if that helps. Girlfriend lives in Buxton so I'll most likely be coming down 202 or 114 from Gorham. Not looking for anything specific, just some good action and a fun day out on the ice. Any tips appreciated, Thanks

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #11 on: Mar 18, 2015, 07:16 PM »
Looking to fish Sebago for the first time this weekend and was hoping someone could point me in a direction as where to fish or access? I'll be on foot if that helps. Girlfriend lives in Buxton so I'll most likely be coming down 202 or 114 from Gorham. Not looking for anything specific, just some good action and a fun day out on the ice. Any tips appreciated, Thanks
try North Gorham Pond !!

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 18, 2015, 07:25 PM »
What I understand is how many fish I catch and how many I actually see caught...not hearsay.
I have been very successful there in the past, I can go to my fishing and hunting diaries which go back to 1967 and see what I have done in the places I have fished  in the past. This season for me is the worst it has been for Togue. The states plan to reduce the Togue population may be working
so there are some large fish but not an awful lot in total population.

Please take no offense to this but you may be living in the past. The lake has changed since 1967, What worked in the past is not  gonna work consistently today. The introduction of alewifes has really changed the game there when it comes to Togue. I believe that the lake is as healthy today maybe even better as it ever has been was when looking at the togue population. Hole hopping with 4" silver Swedish pimple tipped with sucker is not going to get your as many fish as in the past. They have adapted to the bait available you gotta do the same. You have posted in the past that you think that the fish are caught and released and get smart to the jig and will not bite. From the pics above you see they are biting they just ain't interested in your presentation from the sounds of it.

Offline MGK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 18, 2015, 10:17 PM »
Please take no offense to this but you may be living in the past. The lake has changed since 1967, What worked in the past is not  gonna work consistently today. The introduction of alewifes has really changed the game there when it comes to Togue. I believe that the lake is as healthy today maybe even better as it ever has been was when looking at the togue population. Hole hopping with 4" silver Swedish pimple tipped with sucker is not going to get your as many fish as in the past. They have adapted to the bait available you gotta do the same. You have posted in the past that you think that the fish are caught and released and get smart to the jig and will not bite. From the pics above you see they are biting they just ain't interested in your presentation from the sounds of it.

X1000

What worked on most lakes 20-30 years ago isn't as effective today. Change it up a little and the results will come.

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 19, 2015, 07:07 AM »
You people have convinced me. Sebago is crammed with Togue that are just waiting to open their mouths and bite my lures,
 All those people I know who have caught a lot of fish in the past should change over to the new mystery lure and secret bait
that is now producing tons of Togue . Maybe somebody who has been getting a lot of fish the whole season, not  just the first few weeks
can give lessons.

Maybe I should try a Swedish Pimple..I have never caught much on them in the past....throw away my bucktails and tubes that have
always worked in the past.. Maybe traps.
Maybe the Salmon will be more cooperative. There are some good ones there. I hope the smelts will work just as well this year as they did 50 years ago.

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 19, 2015, 07:37 AM »
You people have convinced me. Sebago is crammed with Togue that are just waiting to open their mouths and bite my lures,
 All those people I know who have caught a lot of fish in the past should change over to the new mystery lure and secret bait
that is now producing tons of Togue . Maybe somebody who has been getting a lot of fish the whole season, not  just the first few weeks
can give lessons.

Maybe I should try a Swedish Pimple..I have never caught much on them in the past....throw away my bucktails and tubes that have
always worked in the past.. Maybe traps.
Maybe the Salmon will be more cooperative. There are some good ones there. I hope the smelts will work just as well this year as they did 50 years ago.

im actually happy the togue are down deep chasing the alewives, i dont like catching them during the open water season and these alewives seem to be separating the salmon and togue into there own areas of the lake. talked to a guy last weekend that caught 8 in the morning saw another get hooked and lost in the afternoon on a hole that had togue blood all around it.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 19, 2015, 08:22 AM »
As far as I'm concerned they fishing action on Sebago is gone. Its fast becoming a catch and release lake to spend hours fishing and have it as slow and when one does catch a nice fish for the table you have to throw it back . One would be better off to save his gas and time and go somewhere else or maybe the fish market for foreign imported fish.

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 19, 2015, 08:36 AM »
Time to take up golfing I guess.  ;D

I can just imagine all the b***hing about the cup being too small. ;D
I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Mar 19, 2015, 08:58 AM »
So let me get this straight - the kid goes down to Sebago once a year,he and his party bangs 40 togue in two days, yet there are no fish there ???  Obviously there is something to Matt's techniques that works...... he catches fish!  He does not have decades of outings on the pond to pick out hot spots and commit to memory like you guys do.  Start fishing it with alewives in mind and adjust your thinking and methods accordingly, the fish are there, in numbers!  I say this about all ponds with a substantial alewive population not just Sebago.

Offline BrownTroutBoy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Mar 19, 2015, 09:13 AM »
I agree it has changed a lot in the past 5 years, my old "go to" jigs I haven't even iced a fish with, get creative and don't be afraid to cover some water.

Offline MEhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 19, 2015, 10:01 AM »
It's a lot like hunting. On a year with 0 acorn crop are you going to go sit under a stand of white oaks and wait for the deer to pile in to eat acorns. Some people will.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did so. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Offline Squidy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Mar 19, 2015, 12:04 PM »
I really apreciate all the replies, good stuff ... so for the people who are hitting the fish on the jigs ... what are you jigging with?
Thanks,
Squidy

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Mar 19, 2015, 02:08 PM »
Thanks for all the input to this thread. Anyone been down to the station recently how are the walking condition  ?

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 19, 2015, 02:26 PM »
Thanks for all the input to this thread. Anyone been down to the station recently how are the walking condition  ?

there today you be fine walking

Offline TwoLightsKid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Mar 21, 2015, 02:14 PM »
How did everyone do out there today?  I fished a few hours this morning and managed to get 6 togue on the ice, 3 kept just below slot and 3 just over slot fish released, also got 2 cusk on deadstick rods.  Didn't see much action from guys around me fishing traps. 

Offline Chebeague

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Mar 21, 2015, 03:17 PM »
Once the big lake freezes we don't go anywhere else. I just can't get myself to go somewhere else when I know we can go there and get 5-15 quality fish each every time. If you aren't doing the right things it can be the most frustrating place to be. If you don't see 25 fish in a morning there are better spots you should move.
Feel lucky to live close to slowbego

Offline Squidy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Mar 25, 2015, 10:48 AM »
So we didn't end up on Sebago, ran into a guy and his son at Sebago bait that were having great luck on Parker Pond. My buddy was convinced once he saw a couple of pic's of the salmon they were hitting. We changed plans and spent a long cold windy day on Parker ...
One Bass ...

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Mar 25, 2015, 05:11 PM »
 Plenty of ice on Sebago but is begining to melt  during the day  Oodles of fish on the finder 100 feet down
but couldn't get them to bite.

Offline Fish Wayniac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Mar 25, 2015, 05:31 PM »
So we didn't end up on Sebago, ran into a guy and his son at Sebago bait that were having great luck on Parker Pond. My buddy was convinced once he saw a couple of pic's of the salmon they were hitting. We changed plans and spent a long cold windy day on Parker ...
One Bass ...
[/quote
I think you mean Panther . No salmon in Parker in Casco.

Offline Slammin_Brookies!!

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "Speed an Accuracy" Airborne all the Way 82nd!
« Reply #29 on: Mar 25, 2015, 09:48 PM »
im actually happy the togue are down deep chasing the alewives, i dont like catching them during the open water season and these alewives seem to be separating the salmon and togue into there own areas of the lake. talked to a guy last weekend that caught 8 in the morning saw another get hooked and lost in the afternoon on a hole that had togue blood all around it.
X2.....it's great hammering the salmon from before first light till 9am. Quick throttle to one of the many humps and you'll be tossing the mud puppies over the rail all day.
"Go Big or Go Home"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.