Author Topic: Rod for Jawjacker/Auto Fisherman homemade style?  (Read 6622 times)

Offline tbone303

• IceShanty Rookie
Rod for Jawjacker/Auto Fisherman homemade style?
« on: Mar 16, 2015, 07:33 PM »
So I made 2 auto hook setters of the automatic fisherman variant. I bought (2) 24" light action Rapala squall rods ($10 2 for 1 deal at local store). The first one I tried kept its shape after taking it out of the hook setter and the second one I tried for fishing trout. Long story short it went off and the fish was off in a couple seconds, not enough back bone i guess to set the hook properly, so I tried my buddies 30" medium Berkley Cherrywood, no bites on it but after a couple hours in the setter it too had a bit of a bow in it. So yesterday I bought 2 30" med/heavy Ugly stik Gx2 and a 28" medium Gx2. What are you all using in you jawjackers and custom hook setters? I hope I didnt make a mistake with what i ordered in the Ugly Stiks?

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: Rod for Jawjacker/Auto Fisherman homemade style?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2015, 08:05 PM »
It may not be the rod's problem.

You must allow slack line, of a couple feet free run before firing.     ;)2

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • one of my future ice buddies
« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2015, 08:18 PM »
It may not be the rod's problem.

You must allow slack line, of a couple feet free run before firing.     ;)2

Wouldn't this avoid one if the purposes of the jawjacker.  I thought they were supposed to prevent the fish from swallowing the hook.   Basically by giving them a few feet your allowing them to swallow it. 

Also doing this would have no effect on why his rods are staying bowed. 

I us ugly sticks.  Medium and medium heavys in a 28

RGIII keeps a bench mighty warm

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • one of my future ice buddies
« Reply #3 on: Mar 20, 2015, 08:24 PM »
I could see maybe using the sliding bobber between the first two eyes but that would not give me yem a few feet,  maybe a few inches so they can get it in there mouths.

RGIII keeps a bench mighty warm

Offline XhardwaterX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 20, 2015, 08:36 PM »
I could see maybe using the sliding bobber between the first two eyes but that would not give me yem a few feet,  maybe a few inches so they can get it in there mouths.
thats what I do, put a bobber or slip bobber on the line between the first 2 eyes. Usually lets them take the bait just enough so I get a good hookset but not deep hooked.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #5 on: Mar 20, 2015, 08:46 PM »
I understand your concern, JiggerMan.

I use them mainly for trout and had many misses, until seeing their slow 'Take', even grabbing a very small bait 1/4" from the hook and tripping/firing the set-pole.

They don't seem to favor any resistance until they've traveled several feet, by which time they have taken bait/hook into their mouths.

The weight of any bobber is too much,  just a one foot length of trail-tape, (orange), is all that's needed.

Summer poles/rods give the option for more slack line.

I have yet to experience a 'misfire', since doing that.

I really like 100% catch rate.

The choice is, as always, yours.

Failure is not something I've had, doing it the way the fish dictate through observation on a camera.     ;)2

Good luck.   
                         :icefish:

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 08:31 AM »
No one has commented on the bow in the rod as a result of the rod remaining  bent for so long. Doe it straighten out after being indoors?

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2015, 08:55 AM »
Anyone using the JawJacker rods? I just posted in the New Hampshire site by mistake after using the search mode...lol...sorry fella's!  ;D
I've been using 28" UglyStik's with good results, except in deeper water 25-35' where I've missed a few fish. Thinking longer rods will remedy this.

Mr. Gator....I'd be interested in hearing more on your setup Sir! Plenty of room in my mailbox if you don't mind sharing....Thank You!

Offline Smelty88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2016, 08:55 AM »
I have a home made hook set as well i use a 30" glass zebco dock demon. and it works perfect for it!

Think I'm gettin abite my flag's twitchin
twitter@wefishing2day IG: Smelty88

Offline Tmuskie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2016, 10:28 AM »
For the JJ's I also go with Ugly Stick M and MH. Great rods.
There's a hole in the Ice,  Dear Liza, Dear Liza.
There's a hole in the ice, Dear Liza, a hole.

Well fish it, Dear Henry, Dear Henry, Dear Henry
Well fish it Dear Henry. Dear Henry, Fish it.

Offline BWards406

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2016, 06:39 PM »
Frabil Odin is the one I've been using.  After I got the correct sensitivity set for the trigger I now call it Thor's Hammer.  Don't lose many on that guy.

Offline Icepants2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 04, 2016, 04:51 PM »
If you can find the older Ugly Stik ice rods that's the way to go! I have been using both  the Automatic Fisherman and the JawJackers for a few years now and have tried a number of rods. The medium action older Uglies are great.The rods are fiberglass with a nice strong tip. The strong tip insures a good hook set when the device trips. If you can't find the older Uglies because the supply is drying up. I have purchase two kids combos called the Dock Master. The rods are about 30" and are solid glass. The combo goes for about 30.00 and ditch the reel. These rods have good backbone and should work out just fine.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.