Author Topic: ion auger  (Read 5379 times)

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
Re: ion auger
« Reply #30 on: Mar 18, 2015, 05:59 AM »
What they should do for electric augers is install a solar panel on top so it can trickle charge on the ice or you can ad one after you buy it  ;)

I do that with my trolling motor, bought a solar a panel at tractor supply and it keeps it charge.
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline FalcoJP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Mar 18, 2015, 09:41 AM »
I got the Eskimo Propane 10" this year. I had 2 issues this winter: It was a cold year as we all know, after leaving it in the car all night (not so smart) it had issues the next day. Even a warm can wouldnt work...so I think the line was froze. That was one of those brutally cold nights and days. 2nd, and this was probably from me drilling in close to shore after the ice got so thick I had to move my regular spot out deeper maybe 10 feet away. So I hit some sand and had to get new blades.

Other than those 2, user errors (mainly), I love this auger. Its powerful, not fast, but smooth. It doesnt make my car smell of gas. I can touch my bait and not fear fish sensing the gas. Time will tell what the longevity will be, but its been great so far. I dont baby it ever, I drill a lot of holes :tipup:
JP

I have a hard time talking to people, unless its about fishing

Offline 1crd1aad

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Mar 22, 2015, 08:53 AM »
Guy's
Check around before you buy a new one . I just picked up a 8" reversible used one season not a ding or scratch
with a quick release , extension, and a fitting to drill anchor bits into the ice to hold down my portable . $400 cash
I bought it from a guy in Merrimack the nice thing about this deal is he is also a lobster fisherman and I work at Anhueser
so it's Lobsta for Beer! 

Offline Altonbayicefishingfool

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Mar 22, 2015, 09:00 AM »
I bought mine from a guy in Merrimack.. $400 new in box. Said he got it as a gift and didn't fish... Week later he had the same ad up for the same auger....hmmmm
Life is good!

Offline 1crd1aad

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Mar 22, 2015, 09:07 AM »
This guy Fishes and Hunts !  He had several deer rack in his garage and a sled with Heritage Traps.
Did you buy one for 400 new?

Offline Altonbayicefishingfool

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Mar 22, 2015, 11:47 AM »
This guy Fishes and Hunts !  He had several deer rack in his garage and a sled with Heritage Traps.
Did you buy one for 400 new?

Yes, last year. Doesn't have reverse but it does what I need it to. Love that auger. Gas is a thing of the past!
Life is good!

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Mar 22, 2015, 04:38 PM »
im pretty happy with my arm powered auger. i bought an eskimo silver tip a moth or so ago. i dont see what the point of a power auger is. just seems like extra weight to lug around and less money in my pocket.

I like to jig for perch and you need to be mobile, 40 -50 holes in a day is the norm. Try that with your arm powered tool!  :)

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Mar 22, 2015, 04:40 PM »
What mixture do you use with TruFuel? 50:1, 40:1 or 24:1?

Jiggin, I think trufuel only comes in 40:1 and 50:1 mix so older augers could be a problem??

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #38 on: Mar 22, 2015, 07:02 PM »
Jiggin, I think trufuel only comes in 40:1 and 50:1 mix so older augers could be a problem??

Ok thank you.

Offline merk42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Mar 24, 2015, 01:13 PM »
We got an Ion at the start of the season. It is a good buy. We don't drill like crazy. The battery handled everything we thru at it and eventually we just left it on the auger no matter the cold. Did not seem to phase it... Now with 30+ inches of ice, she ground right thru it, but you knew she was working hard. We did have to put the extension on. Glad it came with it. Now the blades are another issue altogether. Out the box they cut like you would expect, no down pressure needed at all, very impressive. Then one day, poof, had to apply all sorts of down pressure. Middle of the lake 30 fow, No idea what caused dulling. Got new blades $45, not cheap to me! Popped them on, cut one hole, one of the blades cracked in half, put one of the old ones on and it cut fine. Complained, got a new set of blades comped in a few days. BUT the blades are the weak link. Have finally figured out how to sharpen them and while that is fine, I only sharpened the blade on the 30 yr old Eskimo once and that was because i had a guy do a tune up on it and that included a sharpening.... it didn't particularly need to be sharpened.. So I'm spoiled... Looking to harden the blades for next season and see if that helps. Otherwise we love it, no stink, no noise, light as can be. Just seems like a spare pair of blades in the box is prudent.

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Mar 24, 2015, 01:27 PM »
Ok thank you.

Jiggin I sent an email last year to Jiffy and asked if I could use a 40:1 or 50:1 mix in my old Jiffy 30 and they emailed back and said that it would be fine. I have been using 50:1 with little to no problems.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #41 on: Mar 25, 2015, 01:55 PM »
Jiggin I sent an email last year to Jiffy and asked if I could use a 40:1 or 50:1 mix in my old Jiffy 30 and they emailed back and said that it would be fine. I have been using 50:1 with little to no problems.

Thank you, I'm going to switch over to this. Get away from regular gas.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Mar 26, 2015, 02:33 PM »

I have an older Techumseh powered Jiffy 30's and I have been running 40:1 TruFuel in it for 2 years now. Works great.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline rainbow trout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Mar 28, 2015, 08:21 AM »
Got mine for Christmas love it cut through 24 inches easily All afternoon. Selling my jiffy now.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.