Author Topic: need help finding a part for DIY spring bobber  (Read 1249 times)

Offline jaysun23

• Team IceShanty Regular
need help finding a part for DIY spring bobber
« on: Mar 16, 2015, 11:18 AM »
I'm going to use the off season to create the worlds best spring bobber  ;D   I'm looking for some recommendations on what I could use for the black rubber piece that you find on the clam nitinol springs.  its a small tube-like piece of hard rubber where the spring is mounted to the rod and has a hole drilled in it that allows the spring to be pulled flush with the last eye when finished fishing.  The Fiskas springs and the Frabill Titanum springs have a similar setup.  I've gone through all the big box and craft stores in the area and can't find anything comparable, so hoping the brain trust here can come up with something. 

Offline 4ssss

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: need help finding a part for DIY spring bobber
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2015, 11:36 AM »
Give me the dimensions and I'll make you some

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 2015, 11:41 AM »
would a foam ear plug work?

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Apr 19, 2015, 03:22 AM »
You could use the eraser from a wooden pencil, the only thing is it would be pretty much a permanent mount on your rod if you were to go that route.

Offline papadarv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Apr 19, 2015, 07:50 AM »
I think this guy has a great idea for DIY spring bobbers

Get variety of the guitar wire rolled up in a "One-Zip" bag along with a bunch of soft water line floats in your fishing bucket. I tape mine with aluminum foil tape used to seal furnace duct work. I cut a bunch of 1/2" strips off my 2" roll and keep them in the "One-Zip" bag. Unlike masking tape, this tape is waterproof using a very sticky rubber based glue, yet easily removed when needed.
With the variety of wire I can make spring bobber that fits the bite situation and have it on the rod and line in the water in less than 5 minutes. I make one 6" long with light wire which was very effective for a very light bite.

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Apr 20, 2015, 05:02 AM »
YouTube guitar string spring bobber

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #6 on: Apr 20, 2015, 09:11 AM »
i use the frabill titanium indicators. they were down to 6$ on sale. gone now. they sell as high as 15$ during the season. will be hard to beat let alone copy.
i made wire ones too, but they get bent and have memory. good for people who don't have spare cash i guess or just want to try a project. i made about a dozen of them.
using sewing thread and a spot of glue worked for me. you can cut off the thread to remove the wire. only place it on the metal section of the tip top guide tube. so cutting it off won't hurt the blank.

heres some solid rubber if your still looking.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/items/?_nkw=solid+rubber+tube&_sacat=&_ex_kw=&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_sop=12&_fpos=&_fspt=1&_sadis=&LH_CAds=&rmvSB=true

Offline oldtrapper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Apr 21, 2015, 08:58 AM »
Drill a hole in end of a zip tie and tape zip tie to your rod .

TD

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #8 on: Apr 21, 2015, 09:03 AM »
I've never been able to use a spring bobber for ice fishing since I have always been restricted to having to do all my ice fishing during the winter.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.