The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Taxidermists for fish  (Read 2957 times)

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
Taxidermists for fish
« on: Mar 15, 2015, 06:55 PM »
Caught a beautiful perch today that measured in at 11.4 inches. Not a record breaker, but it has a huge belly on it.

I've decided that I really want a mount of a perch and this one seems like the perfect one to mount. Just wondering who you guys recommend for a taxidermist. I'm thinking of bringing it to Doug Yasner. Just seeing what your opinions are. Thanks.
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:
My Blog: https://jacobcrawford8.wixsite.com/pboutdooradventure

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Taxidermists for fish
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2015, 07:10 PM »
Nice perch.  Don't know your taxidemist,but would consider a fiberglass reproduction to a skin mount. Your have it I'll your lifetime. All the mounts in Cabelas are all  fiberglass mounts. If he knows how to paint they come out great. Skin mounts don't last forever.

Offline wmhunts

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wes McRae
« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2015, 07:48 PM »
I prefer real skin mounts fiberglass reproductions have much less detail. Do your research and get a good taxidermist. I use Carson's taxidermy, he has a website you should look at. It will show you what good taxidermy art looks like. He is in Virginia( I lived there for ten years) so its pretty expensive after shipping and he isn't cheap either, but his place is also full of trophy from taxidermy competitions. At least worth a look to see what nice stuff looks like. Nobody that good up here
Come on get on the ice fish!!

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2015, 01:09 PM »
I prefer real skin mounts fiberglass reproductions have much less detail. Do your research and get a good taxidermist. I use Carson's taxidermy, he has a website you should look at. It will show you what good taxidermy art looks like. He is in Virginia( I lived there for ten years) so its pretty expensive after shipping and he isn't cheap either, but his place is also full of trophy from taxidermy competitions. At least worth a look to see what nice stuff looks like. Nobody that good up here
I'm thinking of getting a skin mount just because I don't want to spend a fortune on it. Do you guys know any taxidermists in Vermont that are affordable?
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2015, 01:34 PM »
Northern wildlife in island pond does the best fish mounts in the state, he does either skin or fiberglass.
He does an amazing job.
It takes Walt a while but it's worth the wait.
Last time I had one done it was $10 per inch for skin.
His attention to detail and painting are unbelievable.

Oh and nice fish too.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Registered Kayak

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ..............and then there were none.
« Reply #5 on: Mar 17, 2015, 08:33 AM »
I know you've got a few replies on here already, but I use a guy down in Sarasota Florida. Daniel Blackstone. You may want to give his site a peek. I have a fish or two, done by him over the years. The only thing to consider is using FedEx or ups to ship and noooooot usps. Had my Walleye I sent down there take 7 days after shipping 2day. Luckily it was beginning December. Good luck.

Offline Icemanvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 17, 2015, 03:02 PM »
Guy in burlington for $12/in.  Has some nice mounts in his house!
FLAG!!

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #7 on: Mar 17, 2015, 03:11 PM »
Guy in burlington for $12/in.  Has some nice mounts in his house!
That's Doug Yasner. Did his mounts look any good?

Offline Icemanvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 17, 2015, 03:15 PM »
He's got one 12 lb male brown that was impressive! I haven't had any done by him but after seeing that i figured i'd bring my brown to him. 
FLAG!!

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #9 on: Mar 17, 2015, 08:57 PM »
Northern wildlife in island pond does the best fish mounts in the state, he does either skin or fiberglass.
He does an amazing job.
It takes Walt a while but it's worth the wait.
Last time I had one done it was $10 per inch for skin.
His attention to detail and painting are unbelievable.

Oh and nice fish too.

X2. Walt is the best i have seen around here. He did a replica mount of a brown i caught, and more recently a big walleye skin mount. Both are fantastic, but i do like the skin mounts better in General, just due to the detail that it has compared to the reproductions.
Chasing Ice

Offline Blackink

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 17, 2015, 09:11 PM »
Lots of good information in this thread.

Nice perch too!

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #11 on: Mar 18, 2015, 05:46 PM »
Decided to go through with my decision. Thanks for the help guys.

Offline Milfoil_Hunter_VT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 19, 2015, 09:07 AM »
I had a lake trout mounted by Doug Yasner last year and he did an amazing job and offered me a very fair price. It took him a while but it was well worth the wait for the high quality job. He even found a great piece of driftwood and mounted it on that for me. I would give him a try for sure.

Offline Runninrivers

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 20, 2015, 02:26 PM »
Doug Yasner 802-862-9043 He does an awesome job, and treats you decent too.

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #14 on: Apr 06, 2015, 03:41 PM »
I will probably end up mounting the Pumpkinseed instead of the perch. Thanks for your information everyone. The three possible taxidermists that I will use are Northern Wildlife, Doug Yasner or Bragg's taxidermy. Can't wait to look at all the fish mounts as I try to make my decision! Tight lines. PB.

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Apr 06, 2015, 04:44 PM »
I will probably end up mounting the Pumpkinseed instead of the perch. Thanks for your information everyone. The three possible taxidermists that I will use are Northern Wildlife, Doug Yasner or Bragg's taxidermy. Can't wait to look at all the fish mounts as I try to make my decision! Tight lines. PB.

Sounds good to me, you will definitely catch a bigger perch, 10" seed is about as big as they get.  They are a lot prettier too!

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #16 on: Apr 06, 2015, 04:46 PM »
Sounds good to me, you will definitely catch a bigger perch, 10" seed is about as big as they get.  They are a lot prettier too!
That's exactly what I was thinking. A ten inch Pumpkinseed is pretty hard to beat, but a 11.5 inch perch isn't a real monster. 

Offline Panfish hauler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Apr 06, 2015, 05:35 PM »
  Dough Yasner is the best I've seen

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Apr 06, 2015, 06:08 PM »
Sounds like Doug is the guy to go to. Good to know if I ever decide to mount a fish!

Offline icehooker802

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Apr 06, 2015, 07:00 PM »
Doug has done 5 fish for me excellent work on all of them, priblem is he takes a long time

Offline icehooker802

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Apr 06, 2015, 07:03 PM »

16.3 lb lake trout he mounted for me i caught on champlain

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Apr 06, 2015, 07:21 PM »

16.3 lb lake trout he mounted for me i caught on champlain

Very nice!  I'm looking to get an 11+ Atlantic in the future. 

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Apr 06, 2015, 07:41 PM »
butch bragg did my buck couldnt be happier with it.

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #23 on: Apr 06, 2015, 08:22 PM »
Doug has done 5 fish for me excellent work on all of them, priblem is he takes a long time
He told me that he's not mounting many fish this time a year and he could have my fish done in 90 days. Sounds like a good enough deal to me. He's also the cheapest taxidermist around from what I Can see.

Offline icehooker802

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Apr 06, 2015, 08:27 PM »
Than bring your fish yo him if he can do it in 90 days u wont regret it

Offline Slater56

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Apr 16, 2015, 09:53 PM »
Just some advise, when looking for a taxidermist. cheap doesn't mean good!! Do your homework, go to the guy's shop and look at his work. Ask questions and shop around, don't just settle on cheap because more than likely you will get crap in return and that trophy that you thought enough of to have mounted will end up collecting dust in the basement.

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #26 on: Apr 17, 2015, 05:56 AM »
Just some advise, when looking for a taxidermist. cheap doesn't mean good!! Do your homework, go to the guy's shop and look at his work. Ask questions and shop around, don't just settle on cheap because more than likely you will get crap in return and that trophy that you thought enough of to have mounted will end up collecting dust in the basement.
I will definitely look at the taxidermists work before I make a commitment. Thanks for the heads up.

Offline CHAMP04

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Apr 19, 2015, 09:34 PM »
I took 2 14" perch to Yanser before I left back to California. Gave me a really good deal and was nice enough to let me pay him a couple days before I left so I could give him everything. He's even shipping it to me for a really good price too. I walked down stairs and he has a lot of really good mounts. I think what takes him so long is the work he puts into it and he's solo. I was going to bring it to a guy in Milton who did my full body turkey, but he retired and sold his company to a guy in St Albans.   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.