The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: SKUNKS ON THE ICE?!?  (Read 1153 times)

Offline pastaboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH - ON!
SKUNKS ON THE ICE?!?
« on: Mar 15, 2015, 03:39 PM »
Got out Friday night with another IS member for a night time crappie hunt. Only 4 other guys out and they called it quits at about 10:00pm.
After midnight it got eerily quiet and seemed darker than normal. We were concentrating on fishing and did not notice but a fog moved in rather quick and we could not see shore! Little unnerving at first, decided to pack up and head where we thought we should go and got lucky and followed shore back. Just before we had packed up to leave the "scent" of night time critters was very close but with the fog we could not see the culprit and we ran across the heavy scent more than once on the way back. I Can't really say if there was just the one following us or if there was more than one. There seem to be a lot out, mating season? Have any of you guys run across our "perfumed" rascals while out night time fishing?

Offline jdgambler

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: SKUNKS ON THE ICE?!?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2015, 05:17 PM »
no but I have come across coyotes in the morning quite often on bigger lakes
I'd rather be fishing than sleeping

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2015, 05:23 PM »
It was probably just a Bigfoot, And if you was the dinner We  wouldn't be reading this post. ;D
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Offline Pole-ish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2015, 06:29 PM »
The only "skunk" I ran into at night was this weekend on LBDN ( first timer, went alone).  Not one bite only a couple of lookers :'(

Offline FilletofSoul

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • if its brown its down
« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2015, 01:08 PM »
Ive been known to enjoy skunk bud on the ice
But don't quote me on that. I have a drinking problem, I keep running out of beer. I've always been a little bit crazy, but its kept me from going insane.

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #5 on: Mar 21, 2015, 07:56 PM »
probably looking for free hand outs of skunk fish thrown top side to feed the critters.

Ive been known to enjoy skunk bud on the ice
i know some one who grows that skunk

Offline Dean84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 23, 2015, 03:44 PM »
Havent ever seen a skunk on the ice before myself, but have smelled plenty of skunk being burned while out fishing on the river.  I have seen deer and coyotes both using it as a highway.

Offline chi92

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 23, 2015, 07:07 PM »
Was told by an old timer once that if you smell skunk it was because something got sprayed. Skunks by themselves don't "smell". I had that smell come wafting in my bedroom window one evening and when I went out to check on it, there was a cat sitting under my window. Scared it off and the smell went away a few minutes later.
I'd Rather Be Lost At The Lake
THAN FOUND AT HOME!

Offline pastaboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH - ON!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 23, 2015, 09:31 PM »
Was told by an old timer once that if you smell skunk it was because something got sprayed. Skunks by themselves don't "smell". I had that smell come wafting in my bedroom window one evening and when I went out to check on it, there was a cat sitting under my window. Scared it off and the smell went away a few minutes later.
This makes sense. I never saw "what" the smell was coming from in the fog but it did seem to follow us. I was not looking forward to a tomato bath....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.