Author Topic: Grand County Beast (3.14.15) Updated with video  (Read 4337 times)

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
Grand County Beast (3.14.15) Updated with video
« on: Mar 14, 2015, 11:24 PM »
Headed for the hills at 4:30am for some late season ice time with my buddy Tim (TimK on Ice Shanty).  No traffic and smooth sailing from Denver to the spot.  On the ice at 7:30, and it quickly shaped up to be a warm, beautiful sunny morning. We started hooking into small eater-sized lakers right away.  I landed several off the bottom, and Tim got into a few as well.  It seemed like it was going to be a fun-filled numbers day catching tons of cookie-cutters.

Then, around 9:30, Tim marked something huge.  No hookup.  But then it came back.  It was ON!  Instantly knew it was a beast.  Rod-bending, pulse-pounding, action ensued...

The tug-of-war continued for 15 minutes...seemed to be a stalemate.  Tim was using a 1/8 oz jig head, so the worry was that the fish would bend the hook.  But Tim fought it perfectly!

The beast measured around 36", and after a short picture session, it swam away with a strong kick back down to the depths.  It was an amazing day in Grand County, and it truly made both our ice seasons.  I hope to get out again next weekend, but if not, this sure was a good way to end the ice season.  Can't beat ice fishing in March, in beautiful sunny Colorado!

For those interested, here's a video of the battle, landing, and release.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Granbysbia

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Grand County Beast (3.14.15)
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2015, 04:12 AM »
Nice one!

Offline Maddog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2015, 06:32 AM »
Very nice catch, pix, and release. Nicely done ;D

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2015, 07:55 AM »
Sweet!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline IceOsprey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2015, 07:57 AM »
Great fish!

Offline mtnhillbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 15, 2015, 10:14 AM »
Nice work beautiful baloney back!
 Heading there tuesday hope to have at least half that success
It will be my 2nd time there first time I went home skunked...

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 15, 2015, 11:00 AM »
Great fish! My biggest there is 34in. but no big ones this year (yet  ;)

Offline Sawtooth

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 15, 2015, 04:35 PM »
Do you think there will still be ice there next weekend?  I'm tied up until then, and don't want the season to end yet.
There is no such thing as bad weather - only bad clothing.

Offline _colorado

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired to MN
« Reply #8 on: Mar 15, 2015, 05:17 PM »
Awesome job and great story of the fight.  What a fish and, I agree with you, if ice fishing were to end today - so be it.  What a way to go out with a bang.

I fished Granby on 3/14 and the first thing that happened was my Vex FL22 was dead.  The ice was hard with frozen slush and the sled took a hard bounce and the auger must have fallen on the Vex.  The motor is hung so I suppose the shaft got pushed back.  Going off to Vex for repair in the A M.

Made it hard to fish with no visual feedback but I got about 12-13 in 76FOW off of Nortons.  The interesting thing is I tried one of those 10" Hogy lures and got two fish on it: an 18 and 19" - LOL!  The lure was more than half their length. 

Hot day out there too, needed my sunscreen!  16" of solid ice.

WARNING:   Someone seems to have dug a big hole at the mouth of Sunset bay, about 3' x 3'.  It was partially frozen when I drove by.  Use caution in that area as that's big enough to fall through.  Looked like it was chopped with an ax. 

Offline mtnhillbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 15, 2015, 05:43 PM »
Last time I was there nortons I stopped short bevause of pressure ridge..
 is it still there and if so does it seem safe to walk over? Ive heard stories about those

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #10 on: Mar 15, 2015, 05:47 PM »
Update:  here's the video of the fight, landing, and release:  Video on YouTube
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 15, 2015, 05:50 PM »
After looking At that fish again, is it missing a chunk out of its snout? or just a weird angle on the picture? Never saw that before on a fish

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #12 on: Mar 15, 2015, 06:03 PM »
After looking At that fish again, is it missing a chunk out of its snout? or just a weird angle on the picture? Never saw that before on a fish
I saw that -- not sure.  I think those holes are where the nostril openings should be, so I wonder if the fish was loosing tissue there for some reason?  Some sort of infection?
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #13 on: Mar 15, 2015, 09:12 PM »
Do you think there will still be ice there next weekend?  I'm tied up until then, and don't want the season to end yet.

Not sure, but I hope so - it sure has been warm up there.  This week is going to be warm too, and soon as the edges start to go, and the wind gets ahold of it, it'll go FAST.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Catfishking

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Grand County Beast (3.14.15) Updated with video
« Reply #14 on: Mar 15, 2015, 09:42 PM »
Nice that's a big laker

Offline DanDANthefisherman1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Live to fish
« Reply #15 on: Mar 16, 2015, 03:49 PM »
Not sure, but I hope so - it sure has been warm up there.  This week is going to be warm too, and soon as the edges start to go, and the wind gets ahold of it, it'll go FAST.
Take it easy when you pull out the hook ! Just kidding, nice fish !

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Live to fish
« Reply #16 on: Mar 16, 2015, 03:55 PM »
Wrong quote in my first reply.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #17 on: Mar 16, 2015, 04:03 PM »
lol, no problem Dan -- yeah, I don't know what that big hole is.  It's definitely not from the hook, though ;)
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Granbysbia

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 16, 2015, 04:35 PM »
I wouldn't doubt that it was from a big tube jig when it was smaller

Offline COlipripper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 17, 2015, 10:27 AM »
That's a great lake trout!

So, you must have been just west of us on Saturday, BBM. We were the only group of 4 out in the middle of that area. I actually almost texted you to see if you were up there. I guess you were and doing almost exactly what we were doing catch wise; only a bit better!

Edit: Ah, nope. I see you were actually way EAST of us. We've not had as much luck in that area this year but have seen some pics of some big fish coming out of where you were. We're going back up Sunday if you want to meet up.

By the way, what time did the big one come through? I got mine right at 10am. Why again do we get up so early to rush on the ice? lol I like sleeping in and it appears the bigguns do too  ;)
Selective harvest works!

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Mar 17, 2015, 01:58 PM »
Thanks for posting this Nate, and thanks for being there and capturing it all with some great photos and videos.  Otherwise it would have just been mental image I had to remember.  The hole in the nose is probably from being hooked there earlier in life i am guessing.

COlipripper - we were not east of you, was fishing fairly close to shore with nobody inbetween me and shore, er go, impossible to have been east of you.  You were east of us perhaps, if you were out in the middle.  Im pretty sure I know which group you were, because there was pretty much nobody out on the ice saturday.  The only 2 groups of four in the middle of the lake were to my south east.  And it looked like everyone out there was moving around - a lot.  Caught that fish at about 9:30 I think, maybe closer to 10.  You are def right about getting up early.  Seems like the laker bite never really picks up til an hour after sun up, so why I drag myself all over the NW part of the state in the early morning dark, i do not know.  Just feels like what I should be doing.
Friends don't let Friends use Tip-Ups

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Live to fish
« Reply #21 on: Mar 17, 2015, 06:03 PM »
Thanks for posting this Nate, and thanks for being there and capturing it all with some great photos and videos.  Otherwise it would have just been mental image I had to remember.  The hole in the nose is probably from being hooked there earlier in life i am guessing.

COlipripper - we were not east of you, was fishing fairly close to shore with nobody inbetween me and shore, er go, impossible to have been east of you.  You were east of us perhaps, if you were out in the middle.  Im pretty sure I know which group you were, because there was pretty much nobody out on the ice saturday.  The only 2 groups of four in the middle of the lake were to my south east.  And it looked like everyone out there was moving around - a lot.  Caught that fish at about 9:30 I think, maybe closer to 10.  You are def right about getting up early.  Seems like the laker bite never really picks up til an hour after sun up, so why I drag myself all over the NW part of the state in the early morning dark, i do not know.  Just feels like what I should be doing.
See that you changed your avatar. Nice fish !!

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Mar 18, 2015, 01:12 PM »
See that you changed your avatar. Nice fish !!

Dan - The fish in my avatar is a laker of almost identical size caught in 2010 (maybe 2011), caught on Lake George in upstate New York.  Guess im just a little lucky ;D (and spent a crap ton of time on the water, hard or soft)

Offline COlipripper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Mar 18, 2015, 01:18 PM »
Yeah, that was our group of 4 out in the middle. We were moving quit a bit and stayed fairly spread out. We made a game time decision between launching where you 2 were and where we ended up. It looks like we were in a no lose situation!

Hmmmm, maybe some natural force told the bigguns it was the exact time to mow down a snack and make some fishermens' days!  ;D
Selective harvest works!

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Mar 18, 2015, 01:46 PM »
Anyone wanna hit up WF again this weekend?  Ice should hold out for at least one more trip.  Id prefer friday or sunday but could fish half day saturday.

Offline COlipripper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Mar 18, 2015, 02:08 PM »
We're talking about going again this weekend and we're leaning towards Sunday because we can both fish all day that day. Ice BBQ? I love late season ice in the high country!
Selective harvest works!

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Mar 18, 2015, 02:11 PM »
Id def be in for an all day'er/BBQ on Sunday.   Ive got a bunch of elk burger from this season. 

Offline COlipripper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Mar 18, 2015, 02:48 PM »
Let's plan on it then. I'll bring the grill, plates, utensils, condiments, some potato salad, and buns. I'll ask my buddy to bring some antelope and/or some elk. He hunts everything and usually has some meat in his freezer.

What about Bigbassman?? He and I have been trying to get together on the ice this season too.
Selective harvest works!

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #28 on: Mar 18, 2015, 05:12 PM »
Sounds like a blast, guys -- not sure I can make it this weekend, but I'll let you know if I can.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline HDSIV

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Mar 18, 2015, 09:07 PM »
Awesome fish!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.