Author Topic: watching the rescue team make their way to a friend in the water. Prayers needed  (Read 6562 times)

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
glad there was a rescue and hopeing all goes well

Offline walleyepac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • its what u learn after u kno it all is what counts
Wow Mark, glad to hear he is ok, a poor rescue team is better than nothing I suppose,hopefully all is well, thanks for praying everyone!

Offline Nanner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ...Ice On...
Wow...believe I shared some ice and fished along Larry about a month ago. Very nice guy and had a good conversation. Glad to hear he got out and seems ok. Continued thoughts and prayers.

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Prayers and I'm giving thanks he had a good friend there with him. ;)
Tom

Offline walleyedan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I live for ICE fishing!!!
Glad to hear the outcome came out good.  Hope he has no ill effects from being in the water that long.

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
WOW! It's time to give it up down here. Reminds me of the guy that fell in at Summit a couple years ago. He was in the water for over an hour. I talked/fished around him this year. He said he doesn't like to walk on/off by himself.
Good to hear he was up and alert.
Paul

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Prairie Creek shut down to ice fishing for remainder of season. CO patrolling to keep people off.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline Boomer

• Team IceShanty Addict
I, too, am happy to hear a good report come out.  Wonder if rescue was taking time because they could tell he was holding on. If he had slipped in or was in greater distress maybe they would have hurried.  Maybe we as ice fishermen need to have a talk with rescuers about hazards and rescues on the ice.  Some of those people never go on the ice unless they have to.  Some of you guys know more about ice than others and are still learning.

Maybe if you could talk to the rescuers and ask their procedures in a situation like that we may all get some knowledge about what we should do if we go in.  Seems like you are the type of guy that would be non-confrontational but more educational.

Chris

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
keep us updates if ya can please, jigmup.

i can only imagine the red tape involved in that!  had to be hard to watch for sure. im betting that red tape has killed many in those situations! sure glad it didnt this time.

your last post is another thread in its self.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
He was in the water for close to an hour and a half. He stayed the night at the hospital for observations but is expected to go home today.

He said that he was having so much fun that he just pushed the envelope too much.

Offline Joelrz

• IceShanty Rookie
Thank god he is ok

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Just found out that he had fallen through once and made it out only to fall through again while attempting to crawl. Once he went back in, he decided that his best chance was to get his arms on top of the ice and yell. The lady at the launch station happened to be outside and bolted in once she heard him.  At that point (Larry saw her run back inside) he had a little comfort in knowing that he had been heard. He then heard sirens in the distance and that helped him mentally as well.

Offline justjigginthru

• IceShanty Rookie
I am glad to hear Larry is going to be OK .  He is a good person and people enjoy his company. It is scary when you or someone you know goes through. My best friend went through at Summit a few years ago Terry is ok and still fishes. But I know of another who wasn't as fortunate in his own back yard pond. I hope the rescue teams get a very positive way to go out on the ice because they have to risk their own life to save ours. So open water fishing is on my agenda hope to get it soon....Prayers to you Larry see you soon. Mike

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I'm glad this one turned out ok...scary stuff,     I participated  in a rescue myself at the slough once, a guy was in for  about 45 mins...     You never know and Larry was being safe spudding...  Prayers sent Larry    Were all glad your safe
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline CubbyK

• IceShanty Rookie
First of all, I am so glad for Larry making it out of a very bad situation...
Some of you guys may remember seeing my clip and resue on TV in Indianapolis from my endeavor falling through in Geist Reservoir 5 years ago. I was by myself and can tell you exactly what happens. You start out on 9 inches of soft, late ice after drilling a hole. Seems okay...so you continue on. Then you walk around the corner onto the lake a couple hundred yards and see water by the shore so you go out further where it should be thicker ...right? Wrong. this is where my mistake was. It was still a bit dark and I stopped to recheck the ice after saying to myself....this doesn't look that great. Down you go...FAST...in 15 ft. of water....pop right back up and you attempt to come out and roll away from the hole....   almost getting out by an inch and it breaks again. Now you have a large hole....flog around , take in a bunch of water and barely grab the edge of the ice.....and now you weigh twice as much as you did with your elbows on the ice like you are at the local bar. Pic or no pic, you are done. You have one chance to get out of the hole by yourself. You sit there and contemplate how to not look stupid.....for almost too long. You start yelling and lucklily a dude heard me and called 911. Oh ya...your cell phone doesn't work well wet either... Now I am much more careful and also have an artic armor flotation suit. You still can't beat hypothermia..... Carry a pic....go with a friend,...take some rope....2 cell phones and don't walk close to each other on any late ice. I hang it up sooner than I used although I fished Summit the evening before Larry went down. That's the night I said I was done for the year in this area.

Stay safe my firends! It was as great ice fishing season!!

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
First of all, I am so glad for Larry making it out of a very bad situation...
Some of you guys may remember seeing my clip and resue on TV in Indianapolis from my endeavor falling through in Geist Reservoir 5 years ago. I was by myself and can tell you exactly what happens. You start out on 9 inches of soft, late ice after drilling a hole. Seems okay...so you continue on. Then you walk around the corner onto the lake a couple hundred yards and see water by the shore so you go out further where it should be thicker ...right? Wrong. this is where my mistake was. It was still a bit dark and I stopped to recheck the ice after saying to myself....this doesn't look that great. Down you go...FAST...in 15 ft. of water....pop right back up and you attempt to come out and roll away from the hole....   almost getting out by an inch and it breaks again. Now you have a large hole....flog around , take in a bunch of water and barely grab the edge of the ice.....and now you weigh twice as much as you did with your elbows on the ice like you are at the local bar. Pic or no pic, you are done. You have one chance to get out of the hole by yourself. You sit there and contemplate how to not look stupid.....for almost too long. You start yelling and lucklily a dude heard me and called 911. Oh ya...your cell phone doesn't work well wet either... Now I am much more careful and also have an artic armor flotation suit. You still can't beat hypothermia..... Carry a pic....go with a friend,...take some rope....2 cell phones and don't walk close to each other on any late ice. I hang it up sooner than I used although I fished Summit the evening before Larry went down. That's the night I said I was done for the year in this area.

Stay safe my firends! It was as great ice fishing season!!

Everyone should read this!

My cousin said there was an ice rescue at Summit also? I have not heard about it..said rescue team/personnel had to be called.
Anyone hear about this. Would have been same week as PC rescue.
Paul

Offline Fishslayer81

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
This is why a flotation suit is a must for the die hard anglers push the limits...Glad to hear he made it out. I knew last Sunday I was done after drilling holes and the ice was just breaking in chunks instead of shaving...it was still 10" and clear but weakened.

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
My experience 25 years ago very similar. By myself, fished for couple hours and I was walking off, down I went, 14 ft of water. Couldn't get out. Would get up on ice and would break again. Didn't have picke. They say a person that falls in always faces the closest shore. If I'd had turned around and tried to climb out from the direction I'd been walking from the ice probably would have held??? I did what he did, got arms up on ice and started yelling.
Thank God two caring soles heard me and got a small pram on ice and pulled me out just before the rescue team got there. Was in water 1 1/2 hours but luckily my head never went under and only took in one gulp of water.
Glad he is ok.
Teach
Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Offline walleyedan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I live for ICE fishing!!!
Glad to hear he got out ok.  I've been there myself but lucky for me it was only 5 1/2' deep.  If the lake would have been normal it would have been 12'.

Offline brink

• Team IceShanty Regular
I think I possibly avoided disaster two weekends ago.  Was supposed to meet up with a guy while it was still dark at a ramp.  He wasn't there so I took the spud and walked off the ramp knowing full well that where I was walking was only about 2 feet deep.  I drilled a couple of holes and thought "did I just sharpen my blades because I just TORE through this 8 inches of ice!?"  Obviously I had not sharpened by blades.  I walk back to the truck and get a text saying that something came up and he couldn't make it but maybe he'd meet me out there later.  I declined to walk out there by myself and in the dark.  Smartest decision I've made all year and I'll never know if I would've fallen in or caught 10 keeper perch but I can live without knowing that. 

On a side note, I bought a Bass Pro auto/manual PFD two years back and won't fish on a boat without it now.  It is light and after having it on for 10 minutes you don't even remember it is on.  My $.02
That's some tasty iced tea.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.