Author Topic: WHAT LINE NEXT YEAR  (Read 3183 times)

Offline after-4

• Team IceShanty Addict
WHAT LINE NEXT YEAR
« on: Mar 10, 2015, 05:48 AM »
FISHED WITH VICIOUS COPOLYMER 4LB YELLOW AND A 2LB CLEAR COPOLYMER LEADER OFF A SWIVEL. EVEN THOUGH IT STATED NO MEMORY THERE IS ENOUGH CURL TO SCREW UP THE SOFT BITE.I FISH WITH NO WIND BREAK OR SHANTY. NEXT YEAR THOUGH I MAY GO FLIP BUT STILL BE IN THE OPEN SOME OF THE TIME. NEVER HAD A KNOT FAILURE OR CUT FOR THAT PART. I TRIED FLORO LAST YEAR IF I REMEMBER RIGHT AND SEEM TO HAVE HAD A SIMILAR PROBLEM. HATE  TO GO WITH MONO WITH THE STRETCH BUT MAY DO SO WITH A 2 LB CLEAR FLORO LEADER. IF I REMEMBER RIGHT THE MONO IS QUITE A BIT MORE LIMP. OR ARE THERE DIFFERENT FLORO AND COPOLY BRANDS THAT HAVE DIFFERENT CHARACTERISTICS.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: WHAT LINE NEXT YEAR
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10, 2015, 10:24 AM »
ASSO, SUPER HIGH TENACITY!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #2 on: Mar 31, 2015, 05:39 PM »
I haven't bought any new ASSO lines for years...still using the old ones.  As long as it still performs - I'm a cheapo.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Mar 31, 2015, 06:31 PM »
don't go with trilene 100% flourcarbon its coily,stiff and gets kinks like ive never seen.the 2 # is tough stuff but the coils and kinks are real bad.

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 31, 2015, 09:17 PM »
Run 4# power pro to a swivel, and use a few feet of that 100% fluorocarbon as a leader. The best combo IMO.
-Tom

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Apr 01, 2015, 05:11 AM »
I find that floro leader is brittle in the cold water.  >:(

Offline 350 Mag

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Apr 01, 2015, 05:25 AM »
6lb  P-Line  Flourice......on  an  inline  ice  reel.....NO line twist.

I have NOT broke  this  line  yet,  have  caught  10lb  Walleye, and   accidently  caught   and   landed   15  lb  Lakers  and  Pike  on  this  line.

Fairly  low  stretch  but   enough  that  barbless   hooks   dont  lose  alot  of  fish.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Apr 01, 2015, 06:21 AM »
I find that floro leader is brittle in the cold water.  >:(

What do you mean brittle?  I've not experience that.  So do you mind me asking which brand, which product?

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Apr 01, 2015, 06:31 AM »
I'm a fish Panfish 99  percent of the time I only run mono. The floro's are stiff and jump off the spool. I used  Berkley ice, Sufix ice and  Asso with about the same results 're tie knots often after several fish, I had one break off and my son had two in about 30 trips.

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Apr 01, 2015, 11:43 AM »
My buddy steelhead fishes all winter and has lost his share due to breakoffs. Switched to mono leaders and very few breakoffs. Said he will never use floro in winter again.  >:( >:(

Offline TJG

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's like xmas, 6-8 inchs of solid ice!!!
« Reply #10 on: Apr 01, 2015, 03:51 PM »
FISHED WITH VICIOUS COPOLYMER 4LB YELLOW AND A 2LB CLEAR COPOLYMER LEADER OFF A SWIVEL. EVEN THOUGH IT STATED NO MEMORY THERE IS ENOUGH CURL TO SCREW UP THE SOFT BITE.I FISH WITH NO WIND BREAK OR SHANTY. NEXT YEAR THOUGH I MAY GO FLIP BUT STILL BE IN THE OPEN SOME OF THE TIME. NEVER HAD A KNOT FAILURE OR CUT FOR THAT PART. I TRIED FLORO LAST YEAR IF I REMEMBER RIGHT AND SEEM TO HAVE HAD A SIMILAR PROBLEM. HATE  TO GO WITH MONO WITH THE STRETCH BUT MAY DO SO WITH A 2 LB CLEAR FLORO LEADER. IF I REMEMBER RIGHT THE MONO IS QUITE A BIT MORE LIMP. OR ARE THERE DIFFERENT FLORO AND COPOLY BRANDS THAT HAVE DIFFERENT CHARACTERISTICS.

If u put ur line in a pot of boiling water for a few seconds, it will take away the coiling and make the line a bit more limp. On or off the reel spool does not matter, I do mine on the spool.

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Apr 01, 2015, 08:14 PM »
DAM Tectan is the best line I have been able to find. I have tried Braid (which I use exclusively in salt and fresh water), Floro (including ASSO), and other mono. Nothing comes close.

http://www.fishusa.com/product/DAM-Tectan-Superior-Monofilament-Line--300m

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Apr 02, 2015, 05:56 AM »
DAM Tectan is the best line I have been able to find. I have tried Braid (which I use exclusively in salt and fresh water), Floro (including ASSO), and other mono. Nothing comes close.

Those are stellar reviews on that line. Is it truly low stretch? I'm looking to spool up my lake trout reel with something different this year, need 6-10lb line that will let me set the hook in 100' of water. Its usually way too cold for braid.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Apr 02, 2015, 06:33 AM »
Dam  Tectan line is slightly above pound lbs rated,2.3 for two lb test 3.3 for 3 lb test 4.4 for 4 lbs test and so forth. So that's why so people think it's stronger than others.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Apr 02, 2015, 08:36 AM »
I'm a fish Panfish 99  percent of the time I only run mono. The floro's are stiff and jump off the spool. I used  Berkley ice, Sufix ice and  Asso with about the same results 're tie knots often after several fish, I had one break off and my son had two in about 30 trips.

so who's mono do you use?

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Apr 02, 2015, 04:33 PM »
I spooled up with X-50 6# flouro a week or so and after a couple times I was ready to give.  This stuff was on sale in the Cabela's bargain cave, and it is stiff.  I've got it on a Sienna 500.  The first couple times out it was jumping off the spool and tangling like crazy.  But I adapted.

Now, I keep my finger on the spool when pulling line out.  No more line jumping off the spool.  And it is stiff enough that if it twists, it pretty quickly untwists too.  So my jigs don't spin after a few seconds.  I do have a swivel about 5 feet above my lure.  Using the stuff for leader, too.

Going to keep with it.  Haven't used it in real cold weather yet.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Apr 02, 2015, 06:38 PM »
3300 the three I mentioned  I've use Asso mono,Thrilene ice. and Sufix mono. I see little difference as long as there fresh line.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Apr 02, 2015, 07:05 PM »
captain54
thanks, i thought you were speaking about the floro's in those brands.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Apr 03, 2015, 07:28 AM »
Dam  Tectan line is slightly above pound lbs rated,2.3 for two lb test 3.3 for 3 lb test 4.4 for 4 lbs test and so forth. So that's why so people think it's stronger than others.

I think the mfg listed lbs test for Dam Tectan is more accurate than say for a lot of the other lines we use.

In comparison: my personal testing.
Asso Tetramax .180 mm 4# line break 7# 1 oz. Mfg claim break of 7.5#
Asso Flourolight .200 mm 4# line break 7# 9 oz. Mfg claim break of 7.9#
Asso Ice Fishing .160 mm 4# line break 4# 11 oz. Mfg claim break of 5.4#
Asso Micron 3 .153 mm 4# knot break 4# 8 oz. Mfg claim break of 4.8#
Gamma High Performance .200 mm 4# line break 7# 9 oz. Mfg claim break of 8.5#
Gamma Touch .16 mm 4# line break 3# 10 oz.
Gamma ESP Ice .15 mm 4# line break 5# 2 oz. Mfg claim break of 4.9#
Gamma Flourocarbon Ice .15 mm 4# line break 3# 15 oz. Mfg claim break of 4.4#
Pline Floroclear .18 mm 4# line break 5# 14 oz.
Silverthread Super .179 mm 4# line break 5# 2 oz.
Silverthread Excalibur .179 mm 4# line break 5# 12 oz.
Berkley Trilene XL .20 mm 4# line break 4# 12 oz.
Yozuri Hybrid .235 mm 4# line break 7# 4 oz. Mfg claim break of 8.5#

most of these lines breaks at a much higher rating then Mfg listed on package.  So I'm thinking that a 6.6# Dam Tectan line is closer to most 4# test lines we're using.  Not being a user of Dam Tectan, I can say I'm able to make a definitive comparison.

This guy tested a 15# Dam Tectan and resulted in about 13# break.  He's got quite a bit of line test data and worth a look.

http://www.paulusjustfishing.com/4linetestingplastic.htm

Offline pot-belly-perch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #19 on: Apr 08, 2015, 01:21 PM »
cajun red ice line   2# 3#
for me
smile it makes others wonder what your up to

Ye Old Big Hammer   you use the rite tool for the rite job   when in dout ye old big hammer

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Apr 08, 2015, 07:52 PM »
For now I'm sticking with Trilene XL or Trilene Cold Water in four pound test.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Apr 08, 2015, 08:02 PM »
suffix ice magic works great for me....I did, however, change my heavy jigging crappie rod over to Berkley crystal braid and love that on the 27" quick tip I have

Catchin' Fish

Offline djlangen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Apr 09, 2015, 07:17 PM »
Lost too many fish this past winter on old 2 lb stren hi vis gold. I've already stocked up on Asso Micron 3, Asso Ice Heavy, and Sufix Ice Magic in both 2 and 3 lb. tests. Have never fished with any of these lines, but all of the reviews have been good.

Offline Dustr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2015, 11:06 PM »
Monofilament fishing line is manufactured to a diameter in millimeters not a pound test and as such is advertised and sold in the rest of the world at it's diameter. Whatever it specs out at on the break tests, whether it be 1.8kg or 2kg, IE...4lb or 4.4lb test, is given only to let the consumer know what to expect from that diameter.  Here is one of our sponsors link to the above mentioned Damyl Tectan. Click on the specifications tab to see the whole story.

I have plenty of Damyl Tectan Premium Plus .08mm rated at 2.2lb for all around panfishing and .16mm rated at 6.4lb for deep water perch fishing. Next year I'll be adding a couple hundred yards of Stroft GTM .12mm rated at 4lb test.

Offline frmboybuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2015, 11:41 AM »
Been running Suffix Ice Magic for the last couple years and really like it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.