The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Is catch and release legal after I caught my limit?  (Read 8742 times)

Offline Joe in T.C.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Is catch and release legal after I caught my limit?
« Reply #30 on: Mar 11, 2015, 05:49 AM »
Michigan has season for catch and release only on bass.

There are also catch and release only stretches of rivers as well as catch and release only on some lakes.

Sport Fishing shows almost exclusively show catch and release.

There is a chance any one of these fish can be injured, but almost all of them survive no worse for ware.

The limit on a catch and release only fish is zero. Are you going to give someone a ticket because the fish is accidentally injured?

Offline Capt J

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Mar 11, 2015, 08:56 AM »
Yes they will. As they should IMHO

Offline tazdevil300

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Mar 11, 2015, 09:55 AM »
Guys have been ticketed for fishing when they had their limit so why take that chance when you can stop one short.I don't know how that one fish could be that important.

Offline Chrisper4694

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Mar 11, 2015, 10:08 AM »
you guys should be thankful this is what you're discussing...in NJ our biggest problem are the hundreds and hundreds of guys, some with some without fishing licenses, that hide in trees and bushes in the shoreline and fill garbage bags with anything and everything they catch and do, god knows what with it...giant cauldron of fish soup?

call the hotline to report it, i've done so many times, no officer ever comes.  say something to them and they yell at you in pollish or russian and keep on filling that bag.

be glad you have great fisheries with officials that protect it because trust me it's a privilege that we don't have in NJ

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Mar 11, 2015, 12:03 PM »
Michigan has season for catch and release only on bass.

There are also catch and release only stretches of rivers as well as catch and release only on some lakes.

Sport Fishing shows almost exclusively show catch and release.

There is a chance any one of these fish can be injured, but almost all of them survive no worse for ware.

The limit on a catch and release only fish is zero. Are you going to give someone a ticket because the fish is accidentally injured?

Joe, Dun fergit the Catch and Release season on Trout......... Prior to the official opener.... Might be what you meant about the river stretches?

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Mar 11, 2015, 08:13 PM »
I guess I don't have a problem with people TRULY targeting other species, however, if you catch 25 pannies out of a hole, and nothing else, and don't change your setup etc, then you aren't changing, you are making an excuse. Keep 24 and throw back then next 50.....no problem, its pretty easy to see targeting when it is occurring. And circumventing the laws, no matter how you interpret them, just shows character of said person, same with taking kids out and unless they are catching them, its individual limit, not a group effort. People wonder why groups keep asking for more conservation reform, and this kind of topic is exactly why it will one day likely change.

It is just like traffic laws.......speed limit use to be 55 on the freeways, people do 65....they change it to 70 and people do 80. There are going to be violators no matter what the law is, try and catch the biggest violators and hope it deters some others. Some people will never be happy............

Offline Capt J

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Mar 12, 2015, 06:17 AM »
Good to see ya hollywood!

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Mar 12, 2015, 02:26 PM »
Yo Wood ;)

Offline dalhnt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Mar 12, 2015, 07:03 PM »

Lesage, Christian (DNR)  ([email protected]

Add to contacts 

11:01 AM 

To: [email protected]   Cc: DNR-Fisheries 

[email protected]

Dale,

Thank you for your question.  Yes, you may continue to fish once you have reached your limit.  However, I recommend you immediately release your hooked fish so you do not appear to be keeping more than the possession limit allows.

Good luck fishing.

Christian LeSage
MiDNR Fish Biologist
 ASRA Unit

(517) 284-5822

Offline dalhnt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Mar 12, 2015, 07:04 PM »
The above is the reply I got from the dnr when I emailed them.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #40 on: Mar 12, 2015, 07:25 PM »
I knew it.. like I said ive had my limit of bluegills the dnr checked me and I kept fishing and releasing big gills with the dnr right at the side of my boat at miner lake.thanks for the solid answer dalhnt.instead of everybodys different opinions on the law you went straight to the source.

Offline Stand By

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Mar 12, 2015, 09:46 PM »
Looks like that was a biologist, might double check with an actual c/o.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and you'll never see him again....

Offline Dean84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Mar 13, 2015, 10:39 AM »
My buddy says I have t stop fishing after I catch my limit, I say I can keep fishing but just cant keep anymore! who is right?

technically yes, you are done fishing for that species the second the limit is reached. If you make a noticeable switch in gear or lures to target another species you would be fine. CO's wont believe ya much if you have 5 eyes on the ice, and now claim to be targeting perch with the same lures and no perch to show for it though. If you had switched over to teardrops, it'd be much more believable. Lots is left to the discretion of the officers.

Offline tazdevil300

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Mar 13, 2015, 01:27 PM »
technically yes, you are done fishing for that species the second the limit is reached. If you make a noticeable switch in gear or lures to target another species you would be fine. CO's wont believe ya much if you have 5 eyes on the ice, and now claim to be targeting perch with the same lures and no perch to show for it though. If you had switched over to teardrops, it'd be much more believable. Lots is left to the discretion of the officers.
Good point and like most said why push it just quit one short thats what I do.

Offline Capt J

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Mar 14, 2015, 04:01 PM »
....  just sayin

Offline Broken_Lines

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Mar 14, 2015, 09:57 PM »
It's a fishing license. Nothing illegal with catch and release. Add long as fish are alive you can upgrade fish. It's when your possession goes over the possession limit that you get into trouble. Simply catch and release after teaching your limit.
"Coulda gone fishin', rather be huntin'... I live in my own mind."

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Mar 19, 2015, 10:05 AM »
It's a fishing license. Nothing illegal with catch and release. Add long as fish are alive you can upgrade fish. It's when your possession goes over the possession limit that you get into trouble. Simply catch and release after teaching your limit.

Broken,

You must have missed the rest of the thread? Your advice, as logic as it sounds, WILL result in our fellow sportsmen getting tickets.  :o

Offline motocross269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Mar 20, 2015, 09:51 AM »
We cull fish with the limit in the boat every week in Bass and Walleye tournaments......Just as has been pointed out a few times as long as you immediately release the over fish you are good....
The DNR works closely with Tournament organizations so it is a pretty well known that anglers are culling fish with limits in their boats.......It's common sense....

Offline motocross269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Mar 20, 2015, 09:57 AM »
Broken,

You must have missed the rest of the thread? Your advice, as logic as it sounds, WILL result in our fellow sportsmen getting tickets.  :o

There are  postings with represenatatives from the DNR saying just the opposite on this thread.......and from my experience you can catch and immediately release with a limit in your posession......We do it every weekend.....I would be willing to bet most of the charters out there do the same thing once their clients have boated their limits...

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Mar 23, 2015, 11:39 AM »
There are  postings with represenatatives from the DNR saying just the opposite on this thread.......and from my experience you can catch and immediately release with a limit in your posession......We do it every weekend.....I would be willing to bet most of the charters out there do the same thing once their clients have boated their limits...
Yes, tournaments get a free ride on this one. But every year stream side fellow sportsmen are issued tickets for the same. I suspect most of the fellas here that witness the ticketing each year, are just trying to help their fellow sportsmen and women avoid getting undue citations. The ticketing is not debatable, as it is the norm year after year. Would just hate to see some unsuspecting peeps follow your advice, and end up with a ticket, rather than erring on the side of caution.

Offline FilletofSoul

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • if its brown its down
« Reply #50 on: Mar 26, 2015, 01:04 AM »
It seems like the way you keep the fish that have already been caught, for example in a live well or on a stringer, has alot to do with whether a fisherman is acting in good faith in their attempt to cull fish. I read in another thread, that in Ohio walleye must be on chain style clip stringer iif one culling fish, and that keeping the fish on a rope would not qualify once a fisherman has reached a limit.
But don't quote me on that. I have a drinking problem, I keep running out of beer. I've always been a little bit crazy, but its kept me from going insane.

Offline FilletofSoul

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • if its brown its down
« Reply #51 on: Mar 26, 2015, 01:08 AM »
the smart spell correction on this site is annoying as hell by the way.
But don't quote me on that. I have a drinking problem, I keep running out of beer. I've always been a little bit crazy, but its kept me from going insane.

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Mar 26, 2015, 03:56 AM »
that response from the DNR was sent from a Biologist, not enforcement unit, which will be the ones writing said ticket and make the determination on how the law reads.

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Mar 26, 2015, 03:58 AM »
We cull fish with the limit in the boat every week in Bass and Walleye tournaments......Just as has been pointed out a few times as long as you immediately release the over fish you are good....
The DNR works closely with Tournament organizations so it is a pretty well known that anglers are culling fish with limits in their boats.......It's common sense....

do you put your ice fishing catch in a livewell or a stringer in the water?  If not, then you are potentially throwing back dead or frozen fish.

Offline Joe in T.C.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Apr 22, 2016, 11:27 AM »
This is on page 8 of the 2016-17 Michigan fishing guide:

"Catch-and-Immediate-Release (CIR): The act of
returning fish immediately to the water without
injury and without holding in a livewell or similar
device. Anglers may continue to fish CIR given
that they have reached their daily possession limit
for a given species."

good luck all  :tipup:

Offline Eyes R Bitin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Apr 22, 2016, 03:02 PM »

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #56 on: Apr 22, 2016, 07:50 PM »
Sounds like in MI you're OK. In WI if you have your daily bag you're done. DNR tickets lots of folks fishing after their daily bag has been met or catching them "double dipping" by leaving the water with their limit and returning the same day to pound some more.... In WI if we want to keep fishing we have to leave our daily bag "1 short".
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline bowcarp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Jul 20, 2016, 09:35 PM »
I'll catch perch , eye's , gator's and crappie all on the same set up , I stick to my limit or what I can eat , let more go then I keep but if the fish cop wants to argue (never have had that happen encounters have been more then pleasant) we could be there for awhile  ;D
governments should fear their citizens
“When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”― Socrates
I miss North Dakota (least I did till the oil moved in )

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Dec 09, 2016, 06:34 AM »
Sounds like in MI you're OK. In WI if you have your daily bag you're done. DNR tickets lots of folks fishing after their daily bag has been met or catching them "double dipping" by leaving the water with their limit and returning the same day to pound some more.... In WI if we want to keep fishing we have to leave our daily bag "1 short".
Tickets are issued every year on the steelhead runs to guys that continue to catch after three in the bush. Guess they need to go to court and fight it with a copy of the regs that are very clear.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #59 on: Dec 09, 2016, 06:58 AM »
that response from the DNR was sent from a Biologist, not enforcement unit, which will be the ones writing said ticket and make the determination on how the law reads.
.               Good point, irregardless of "the law" it's how each individual officer enforces it. Go ahead and get a lawyer and fight if u want, I'm going fishing!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.