The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: UPDATE (2) OFFICIAL FINDINGS- OFFICIAL COMPLAINT FILED w/ BPD.....CASE CLOSED!!!!  (Read 11603 times)

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: UPDATE - Kicked off TWO waterways in 2 days... EMAIL TO POLICE
« Reply #30 on: Mar 10, 2015, 09:08 AM »
DerekinHawaii,

Don't take this the wrong way but as a professional writer I would have tried to condense it a little. Most people including law enforement will only read so far. You can always condense your writing and still get your point across.

It is however, well wrtten and not the stupid sh** they probably see on a regular basis.

O.K. Let me have it.  ;D

I can almost guess the response you will probably get if you do get one back: "We have to consider the safety of the general public. If we let you on the ice even though we have confidence you know what you're doing, what's to suggest others that aren't competent to know what is or is not safe won't follow suit? We can't justify the time and resources determining who can and can't get on the ice, or whether the ice is safe on moving water that is subject to rapid changing conditions."

All it takes is one moron falling through and if the city gives the blessing to ice fish they are in hotwater.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it was easy they would call it catching
« Reply #31 on: Mar 10, 2015, 11:51 AM »
DerekinHawaii,

Don't take this the wrong way but as a professional writer I would have tried to condense it a little. Most people including law enforement will only read so far. You can always condense your writing and still get your point across.

It is however, well wrtten and not the stupid sh** they probably see on a regular basis.

O.K. Let me have it.  ;D

I can almost guess the response you will probably get if you do get one back: "We have to consider the safety of the general public. If we let you on the ice even though we have confidence you know what you're doing, what's to suggest others that aren't competent to know what is or is not safe won't follow suit? We can't justify the time and resources determining who can and can't get on the ice, or whether the ice is safe on moving water that is subject to rapid changing conditions."

All it takes is one moron falling through and if the city gives the blessing to ice fish they are in hotwater.

The city doesn't have to give its blessing to ice fish.  We have that right given to us by the state when we purchase our fishing license.  As far as people thinking that they can just walk anywhere on the ice because they see us fishing...I feel the same way about them as I do people riding motorcycles with out helmets. 
It is MY responsibility to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now. Make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day. They might show up if there is enough staff working.

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Mar 10, 2015, 12:02 PM »
The city doesn't have to give its blessing to ice fish.  We have that right given to us by the state when we purchase our fishing license.  As far as people thinking that they can just walk anywhere on the ice because they see us fishing...I feel the same way about them as I do people riding motorcycles with out helmets.

How true that is!

I'd be worried about the news deciding the cops should kick people off in the name of safety, then other towns might follow suit. If you know people on the force, Derrick, you're probably going about it the best way possible...
"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Mar 10, 2015, 12:30 PM »
How true that is!

I'd be worried about the news deciding the cops should kick people off in the name of safety, then other towns might follow suit. If you know people on the force, Derrick, you're probably going about it the best way possible...

The "NEWS" would at least get both sides of the story I hope.  It would probably help our cause when we explain how we check the ice and the tools we use to do so.   That we unlike skaters, cross country skiers and people on atv/snowmobiles check the thickness of the ice and make sure it is "safe" ice before we venture out on to it.  We can explain that we know the difference between black and white ice.

I think Derek is definitely going about it in the correct manner but if that doesn't get the results then maybe turn to the media.
It is MY responsibility to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now. Make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day. They might show up if there is enough staff working.

Offline derekinhawaii

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Mar 10, 2015, 04:33 PM »
Then dont be surprised if you dont hear back. There is a reason people go to the media. It gets results. Otherwise your 4 page email "must have got sent to my spam folder".

The good news is that is was also sent to the Lt of the police department, who I know very well for about 15yrs.  He will see it come through because we have emailed prior to this.  So that won't go to a spam folder.

Additionally I include the Board of Selectman and Fire Chief.  Who interestingly enough, after I called him to discuss, had no issues with us on the ice.  HE was actually suppressed to hear that's 17+ inches.  He wished us luck.

I've since reached out to a reporter from Wicked Local who seems to write about winter sports in the area.  If I don't get any reply from the town I'll contact someone from the Boston Globe.

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #35 on: Mar 11, 2015, 07:32 AM »
Some people have too much time to sit on shanty! Go fishing for Christ sakes. You also can't categorize all snowmobile, ATV, cross country ski, skaters in one category. Some (not all) are foolish, just like some ice fishermen are.

Offline Eastciderida

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Mar 11, 2015, 02:18 PM »
Some people have too much time to sit on shanty! Go fishing for Christ sakes. You also can't categorize all snowmobile, ATV, cross country ski, skaters in one category. Some (not all) are foolish, just like some ice fishermen are.

Like he said just go fish. Next time you catch law enforcement in the corner of your eye just pretend you don't hear them and continue on with what your doing.

Offline derekinhawaii

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Mar 11, 2015, 05:28 PM »

I the only category I placed those activities into was winter sports.  This is exactly what they are. Second... I either fish or scuba dive every weekend.  I work every week day during the week.  Your point about having to much time is obtuse.  Or maybe you're unemployed and can fish everyday.  Or maybe your inherently rich.  Either way, don't be obtuse. 

TIGHT LINES!

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Mar 11, 2015, 05:59 PM »
Keith's comment was directed towards me 😁  He is busting my balls because I haven't been out. 

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #39 on: Mar 11, 2015, 07:34 PM »
Keith's comment was directed towards me 😁  He is busting my balls because I haven't been out.
Yup it was 😆 I'll get you out there even if I have to drag ya kicking and screaming bahahaha!

Offline THE JIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Member of the GODS (Grumpy Old DudeS)
« Reply #40 on: Mar 11, 2015, 07:41 PM »
Yup it was 😆 I'll get you out there even if I have to drag ya kicking and screaming bahahaha!

Watch your back Keith,he's big ;D
MA

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #41 on: Mar 11, 2015, 08:43 PM »

Watch your back Keith,he's big ;D
I'll trip him, no wait , I won't have too, he will fall from dizziness into a sled. Then I can drag his "big boned" a** out on the ice.  Easy pulling now, snow is GONE!!! 😎😆

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Mar 11, 2015, 09:07 PM »

I respectfully disagree. The city may not have to give it's blessing, but you can bet your bottom dollar if someone else drowns, their family will try and sue the city if a sleazebag attorney thinks he can prove the city complicit.

Years ago kids could fish about any pond around here and no one had an issue with it. Now ponds are closed off because the owners are afraid of losing everything they have if someone drowns.

They told us in a business law class I took, that a homeowner can post his swimming pool all he wants, put an eight foot fence around it and he's still liable if a kid climbs the fence and drowns. Yeah that's what the law profession had done to America. I remember reading about a burglar that sued a homeowner after he fell through the skylight and injured himself. We had a case in my area where a burglar got shot and he tried to sue the homeowner. Fortunately there was such an outcry from the people in the area it was thrown out of court.

My European side of the family find this ridiculous. In Germany all of the above wouldn't even make it to court.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline THE JIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Member of the GODS (Grumpy Old DudeS)
« Reply #43 on: Mar 11, 2015, 09:21 PM »
I respectfully disagree. The city may not have to give it's blessing, but you can bet your bottom dollar if someone else drowns, their family will try and sue the city if a sleazebag attorney thinks he can prove the city complicit.

Years ago kids could fish about any pond around here and no one had an issue with it. Now ponds are closed off because the owners are afraid of losing everything they have if someone drowns.

They told us in a business law class I took, that a homeowner can post his swimming pool all he wants, put an eight foot fence around it and he's still liable if a kid climbs the fence and drowns. Yeah that's what the law profession had done to America. I remember reading about a burglar that sued a homeowner after he fell through the skylight and injured himself. We had a case in my area where a burglar got shot and he tried to sue the homeowner. Fortunately there was such an outcry from the people in the area it was thrown out of court.

My European side of the family find this ridiculous. In Germany all of the above wouldn't even make it to court.

i thought that there is a law in Mass that if somebody gets injured from a natural hazard such as falling out of a tree etc,that the owner of the property is not liable even though the property is not posted. Wouldn't falling threw the ice be a natural hazard?
MA

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Mar 11, 2015, 10:11 PM »

If the city had a say over the waters you would need a city to city permit to fish, boat, swim etc...  What is different if someone drowns from boating in a pond/lake?  Ice?

If it is NOT posted "No fishing" every 50' it is fair game unless you have to trespass on private land that is posted "No Trespassing" every 50'.  At least that is what my uncle found out from the EPO when he wanted to stop hunters from hunting his 30 acres of land. 

Drive by any reservoir you can't fish in and look at the trees.  Every 50' you will see a sign go read what it says. 

Offline lawnguyjack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Masshole
« Reply #45 on: Mar 12, 2015, 12:11 AM »
DON'T GIVE UP YOUR RIGHTS!!! I've been following this thread the past few days and it makes me upset thatthis happened to beginwith.  I am not anti cop however I am very pro American. This thread as well as the Charles River thread should make all of us be vigilant and never stand short on our given rights. Be respectful and more importantly be educated.  Call your EPO when your not sure. Never stand down
Newfound (Circus)

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #46 on: Mar 12, 2015, 06:32 AM »
i thought that there is a law in Mass that if somebody gets injured from a natural hazard such as falling out of a tree etc,that the owner of the property is not liable even though the property is not posted. Wouldn't falling threw the ice be a natural hazard?

Oddly enough, Ma. actually has a really great protective statute in place called, I believe, the Massachusetts Recreational Land Use Act (They changed the name but I believe this one is current).  In simple terms, it states that if you allow a person to recreate on your land, you are free of indemnity for any injury unless it can be proved that you committed gross or intentional acts.  This law has been tested several times and in some of the cases I read about, even I would have found fault with the land owner but they were protected under this law. 

It doesn't stop people from suing you but it does stop them from winning.  Then again, same goes with posted signs.

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

"We're going to sit around the shanty mama...."  Johnathan Edwards

"If you are going out there to figure it all out by yourself, well, ice has a
 learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #47 on: Mar 12, 2015, 07:03 AM »
Some people have too much time to sit on shanty!

Pssst.. You're leading the charge on posts per day lol
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Mar 12, 2015, 09:09 AM »

It should read Posts per day from the ice and posts per day not on the ice.  He would lead the first category.

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #49 on: Mar 12, 2015, 09:42 AM »
I'm not sure if you realize this but its 2015! I haven't touched a computer in like 7 years! Most of my ice shanty posts are from the ice & 97% of them are about my fishing trips. I didn't let a little snow & cold keep me home this season. Yup I have allot of posts, yup I don't care if some think its over posting, better than not posting or sitting home posting stupid sh**. Some day (maybe) this site will go back to people fishing and sharing their story. Or it will continue to become "FaceShanty" PS 1 more post to the post count 👍👍  PS #2 maybe I should apply to be a moderator. I already moderate 4000+ on my group page I created for my town. Can't be too tough moderating the 25 or so that actually post here.

Offline derekinhawaii

• Team IceShanty Regular
So I've had a conversation with the Chief of Police.  He forwarded my email to the captain.  the pictures are of the official complaint directed towards the two responding officers.  I expect to get a response from Belmont PD within the next two weeks.

]

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Nice the formal complaint is a great step in checking their power.  Hurley might get lucky and get to drive a desk for some time while the complaint is settled.

Now call the either zoning or the tax office to get property lines and prove your access was legal.  I had to do that for Marblehead neck when the guy who lives adjacent to the park kept calling on me.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Good luck Derek! I hope the ending is to the satisfaction of all of us.

Will you please move this over to fishfinder if it lasts that long?

Thanks!

:thumbsup:

Offline city slicker

• IceShanty Rookie
Derek, I think you beating a dead horse.   move on and don't make waves..  even if you right..  there is not enough good fishing in Belmont to fight over.  Just my .02

PS..  food for thought...  Gerrys pit !  I bet most never heard or now where.  I have wanted to try this spot for many years..  Cambridge I think ?   LOL

Offline masshills

• Team IceShanty Regular
DON'T GIVE UP YOUR RIGHTS!!! I've been following this thread the past few days and it makes me upset thatthis happened to beginwith.  I am not anti cop however I am very pro American. This thread as well as the Charles River thread should make all of us be vigilant and never stand short on our given rights. Be respectful and more importantly be educated.  Call your EPO when your not sure. Never stand down
X2

Offline otzi

• Team IceShanty Addict
Derek, I think you beating a dead horse.   move on and don't make waves..  even if you right..  there is not enough good fishing in Belmont to fight over.  Just my .02

PS..  food for thought...  Gerrys pit !  I bet most never heard or now where.  I have wanted to try this spot for many years..  Cambridge I think ?   LOL

I fished the water on the other side of the T station from the pit and used to take small bass to 2lbs and big carp in the brook. We called the little pond "Leukemia Bay" due to all the pollution. The pigs we would get out of Fresh Pond.

Suit up and show up!

Offline derekinhawaii

• Team IceShanty Regular
It's been about a month with no official word from the Belmont Police.  However from an unnamed source it sounds like the police department know they are in the wrong with threatening us with arrest for not getting off the ice.

The witness (my friend who was ice fishing with me) was asked by the police officer investigating the complaint what he wanted from the investigation.  He explained that he wanted the Belmont Police and the town to educate themselves about ice safety and also to further train their officers on how to interact with the public in a less threatening way. 

I too also stated that the town needs to educate their officials with relation to ice safety. 

FOR THOSE WHO SAY I'M BEATING A DEAD HORSE with this complaint, know that I'm actually standing up for all of us fisherman.  Neighbors of these ponds are ignorant to the rules and laws in this state.  It's the local police and towns that should not be ignorant.  I'm hopeful that this outcome will be in OUR favor... not just mine...

I expect a conclusion to my complaint this coming week.

STAY TUNED FOR the official word.....

Offline BobP

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Good for you, thanks for keeping us up dated.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
It's just that it's easier to just give up and accept the official's "on-the-spot" verdict even when you think they are wrong!
Sometimes you just have to stand your ground and say "NO" when you know you are being wronged.
This is just such an example!

Good luck, and keep us posted of your results.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
Fight the good fight brother.  Your friend has the right idea.  Not vindication, just education. 

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

"We're going to sit around the shanty mama...."  Johnathan Edwards

"If you are going out there to figure it all out by yourself, well, ice has a
 learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.