The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: They stole my fish house, Keyhole cops  (Read 7655 times)

Offline NitroChukar

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: They stole my fish house, Keyhole cops
« Reply #30 on: Mar 08, 2015, 11:15 AM »
Thanks for posting the rules Jopes.   

Offline crave2fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Mar 08, 2015, 09:48 PM »

It has been that way for as long as I have been here.  Day use is only good till 10pm. 

Here is the pdf to all the rules.  http://soswy.state.wy.us/Rules/RULES/6990.pdf

Yes, I did look it up after the wonderful encounter with park patrol. He was correct about the "rule", but he shouldn't be rude and unfriendly when dealing with public.

Offline Lip ripr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Mar 08, 2015, 10:26 PM »

A state parking lot or lakeshore is not a free storage lot.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You pulled it off Feb 8 and posted about it on March 6??? I can't stand when people use the public lands as their own.

Offline zjlooney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Mar 09, 2015, 10:25 AM »
I have a feeling that you're up a river of excrement, in a native american vessel, with no means of propulsion.  However, you might have a chance with this.  "(c) Unless prior written permission has been obtained from the superintendent, personal property left in any park land for longer than 30 days shall be deemed abandoned. Property deemed abandoned may be removed at the owner's expense and disposed of as provided by law". With this you would've been shy of the 30 day threshold.  They got you for the 14 days, which applies to camping and also states that you must be in a designated camping area.  You may have to pony up some day use/overnight fees, but it doesn't sound like the towing company is going to let you off the hook easily.  You can say it was wrongfully towed since it had not been 30 days, which may get them to get it out of the yard for you, but I can almost guarantee they will get you for day use/overnight fees.  When it comes to state parks you pay to play by their rules.  If rules aren't enforced it becomes a free for all, and nobody is going to pay to use a state park where they don't have a fair shake.   

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #34 on: Mar 10, 2015, 10:20 PM »
   Screw them. That hut wasn't doing any body any harm.

Offline reelrusty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Mar 11, 2015, 10:03 AM »
 :'( Gotta wonder if the tow guy and the park guy have a little "profit sharing plan." Yeah, it would have been a "Wyoming" thing to do to give you a call in the first couple of days after your hut appeared in the lot. My thoughts are these camper cops are instructed not to do these kind of favors in their training. I've had more than one interaction with rigid enforcement policies at Glendo. No slack for late fall, severe drawdown, nobody else around, conditions. It seems that to enforce the letter of the law, not the intent of the law is the state park paradigm.

Offline Wood N Fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Mar 11, 2015, 02:03 PM »
Thanks for the support , fellow fishermen. And to those who think I was using the lot as personal storage......well..... ah.....you would be wrong. Now, listen up. I sent an email to Cheyenne headquarters last week asking very cordially for clarification. 6 days later no response. Monday morning I called Cheyenne headquarters , the response I got from the woman answering the phone went sorta like "why are you bothering me with this?" . She took my name and phone number to give to Mr. Incharge who was in a meeting. I have not received a call as of 1 pm Wednesday. Didn't realize meetings lasted that long. But then when they devise ways to be more xxxxxx, I can understand it may take some time. This is how we peons are treated with our own money paying for their salaries. You would think they would just maybe want to foster some better public relations to justify their job. You would be wrong.

Offline mobilerat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Mar 11, 2015, 02:51 PM »
A previous poster was correct in that you should call your senator and your representative. You might also try to reach the governor.  I suspect they will be more responsive. You could also call cheyenne  and ask to be put on hold that you will wait to talk Mr Incharge.If they try to put you on infinite hold they will get tired of the system kicking your call back Ask each person for there full name and write it down. Might even tell them you are recording the conversation if you have a way to do that.

Offline whistlepig

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Mar 11, 2015, 03:50 PM »
Like the other poster said, call the local news and I bet they get the matter taken care of.

Offline rbmchief

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Mar 11, 2015, 04:24 PM »
WoodNF,  Bummer of an ordeal!  I do not the rules enough to know who is right or wrong here, but I find it especially sad when a man's name and contact # are visible, and yet our public servants seem more and more detached from a common sense approach and solution. Therefore, they opt to forgo an extra minute or two of his (her) precious time, and not contact the owner.   Another case history of bureaucrats missing an opportunity to easily resolve any misunderstanding or minor problem that existed. Instead, their remedy is to DROP THE HAMMER.   I hope it ends well for you WoodNF and hopefully the bitter taste of dealing with these type of Nazis soon fades and you again look forward to your time spent on the ice.

I really think this covers it quite well. State and city employees should learn how to use critical thinking skills and do the right thing by the public that they are dealing with. In lots of previous nasty encounters with the rangers at Glendo it is always brought up how many bad people they have to deal with, so instead of using interactions like this to gain back public favor, they drop the hammer on the next 5 or 6 people they deal with to make themselves feel better. They are going to run into rude people everyday, but if they choose to make 9 out of the 10 encounters that day positive encounters I believe they would get alot  fewer "bad" apples. Right now alot of our parks people are choosing to make 9 out of 10 interactions bad and they wonder why most people they deal with are not very nice. Everything in life is about choices, if as rangers they keep making the bad choices, well eventually their jobs are going to be series of bad interactions. Seriously, I try my best to follow rules and be a good guy but after the 5th or 6th time of being harrassed by these guys the rest of our interactions are not friendly.
I'd rather do it on the ice

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Mar 11, 2015, 07:02 PM »
Just a head's up here... We let the "nazi" name-calling slide to begin with at the start of the thread since it was certainly a vent and emotional post. Let's keep the post on topic, and allow Wood N Fish to work this out with the proper people/authorities and go from there. I've received some info on Park Regs at KH and shanty placement and removal time frames on a number of shanty's which were out there, but will not post any of it until I receive verification on who sent it to me, and have the info vetted for accuracy. If you have something to add, fine, if it's inflammatory opinions, it will be deleted. Thanks for understanding.

Offline Wood N Fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Mar 12, 2015, 10:17 AM »
I finally got a reply from headquarters. Refering to Abandoned property, Section 5 (b) of the State Park regs. "interfering with safe or orderly management of the area" . Section 5 (c), "personal property left longer than 30 days shall be deemed abandoned".  The guy at the park told me it was removed because I violated the 14 day rule. He was telling me an untruth, apparently.  So according to the States own rules it was not abandoned as it was removed after 14 days. Interfering with safe or orderly management ? Totally arbitrary. The parking area at the end of the ice fishing season is quite empty. I talked with the sheriff. He told me it is a civil issue, not a criminal issue and therefore advised me to take it to small claims court. He was quite pleasant.

Offline Wood N Fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Mar 12, 2015, 12:44 PM »
There were several other shantys on the parking lot that were removed at the same time. I do not know the owners of those and did not look at the names and addresses on the shantys. If any one knows who they were please tell them to contact me.

Offline SkunkedAgain

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Mar 12, 2015, 12:47 PM »
With the problems that everyone has encountered with state parks and all the rules and fees and harasment from park officials i cant beleave that more people arent taking a stand against the state trying to take control of federally managed lands. Can you imagine how it would be if the whole state was managed like keyhole or boysen is?

Offline rbmchief

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Mar 12, 2015, 12:52 PM »
The state would absolutely kill the ability to enjoy any recreation for us and our families, just my opinion. If our state takes control of federal lands, I'm outta here.
I'd rather do it on the ice

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Mar 12, 2015, 03:21 PM »
The state would absolutely kill the ability to enjoy any recreation for us and our families, just my opinion. If our state takes control of federal lands, I'm outta here.

I completely agree that state control would be a bad idea.  But not for those reasons.

The state parks that get all the pressure in eastern Wyoming seem to be the ones with hard-ass employees.  I would bet that they constantly deal with drunks and other obnoxious types breaking the rules, driving 4 wheelers all over, illegally camping etc.  Not excusing their behavior, just explaining.  Most other states have WAY more rules and regulations than Wyoming parks and federal lands.  If you tried to leave a trailer in a state park parking lot in Washington, Oregon, Idaho etc for 2 freakin' weeks you could expect a hefty fine......

Offline Bottombouncer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Mar 15, 2015, 05:22 PM »
I see people leave their campers in premium spots at lakes that are suppose to be a 14 day limit for the whole summer and park rangers don't do anything until someone complains. stop whining and pay the price!!!!

Offline mobilerat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Mar 16, 2015, 09:51 AM »
Give up on the state taking over federal land. It is another ploy to distract everyone from what is happening to this country. 49 other states are part owners of that land and Wy would have to pay them for it. At $2500 an acre (low) that would be about 75 billion dollars. Not going to happen. We should be worrying about the fact that they can't read the constitution. These are ballpark numbers but 300k pop of Wy could not come up with that.

Offline Monarch8x8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Mar 20, 2015, 04:48 PM »
Give up on the state taking over federal land. It is another ploy to distract everyone from what is happening to this country. 49 other states are part owners of that land and Wy would have to pay them for it. At $2500 an acre (low) that would be about 75 billion dollars. Not going to happen. We should be worrying about the fact that they can't read the constitution. These are ballpark numbers but 300k pop of Wy could not come up with that.

I'm all for State's Rights, but all of the fans of taking fed lands back has me scratching my head.  How many have even thought about how much money a forest fire like on Laramie Peak two summers ago would cost the state?  It would break us- and that's one fire.  The feds eat a majority of that bill because it is on National Forest.  If it was Wyoming's?  Wyoming's bill.

Back on topic here- Sorry for the poor luck with possibly over zealous rangers, but rules do seem to be rules.  We all have to live by them, fair or not, like them or not, and our choices create our fate.

Offline Wood N Fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Mar 22, 2015, 10:06 AM »

Back on topic here- Sorry for the poor luck with possibly over zealous rangers, but rules do seem to be rules.  We all have to live by them, fair or not, like them or not, and our choices create our fate.

That's the thing. They broke their own rules. They want to get me under Section 5, Abandoned Property. But they took it before the 30 days which is expressly stated in the rules.

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Mar 23, 2015, 05:24 PM »
I'd get a lawyer  ;)

Offline Monarch8x8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Mar 24, 2015, 04:15 PM »
That's the thing. They broke their own rules. They want to get me under Section 5, Abandoned Property. But they took it before the 30 days which is expressly stated in the rules.

Fight it then.
You'll have court fees, daily camping fees, towing and storage fees (which keep going up as we type) for a shack that cost $500 to build?
Yep.  Fight it on principle.
Then pull it home or camp in it the whole time next season.
But I do agree with you, I think a phone call could have saved a bunch of heartache.

Offline reelrusty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Mar 25, 2015, 08:16 AM »
I've been following this thread since it's start and I've chimed in  wondering if there was perhaps some collusion between the park employee and the impound owner/worker. It has been pointed out that a phone call from the park employee to Wood N Fish could have expedited the removal of the ice house and saved a lot of hard feelings and considerable money. Not defending the park employee's obvious lack of empathy for sportsmen, but that phone line runs both directions. I think if it were my ice house being left there more than a day or two I'd be making a phone call to park authorities explaining the situation. I think that this could be the take away for all of us from this. COMMUNICATE!!

Offline Houligan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Apr 17, 2015, 12:41 AM »
"They stole my fish house, Keyhole cops"

LOL seized property that was left on public property for 14 days or more is not stolen. This is great.

Responsibility!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.