The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: They stole my fish house, Keyhole cops  (Read 7656 times)

Offline Wood N Fish

• IceShanty Rookie
They stole my fish house, Keyhole cops
« on: Mar 06, 2015, 04:14 PM »
So I go to the wind creek access to bring my house home. A hard side, 6 x 8 , metal siding. Took it off the lake Feb. 8th. Placed it on shore . went to pick it up and it is gone. Went to park headquarters they said it was on the access for more than 14 days so they called a towing company to remove it. My name , address and phone number are VERY visible on the house. Call the towing company. $600 dollars and $30 dollars a day to get it back. My phone number was on the house. Thieves, all of them. My phone number and address was on the house.  Government out of control. It was not a camper. No sign at the access about leaving anything there for more than 14 days. In the regs , "fish house must be removed from lake before ice out" . Period. Did that. Thieves. I want my house back. Called towing company. No wiggle room. Another thief. Would you steal someone's property because the "authorities" told you to steal it ?

Offline rbmchief

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: They stole my fish house, Keyhole cops
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2015, 04:56 PM »
Man sorry to hear that, I'm glad I dont frequent Keyhole to much, sounds like the Park people up there are pretty horrible people to deal with.

I'd rather do it on the ice

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2015, 05:06 PM »
This can't end well...  Sorry to hear about your ice house. If your name was on it and it was sitting ashore, they could have called and gave you a warning ticket for littering instead of having it hauled off lol! Two weeks seems like a long time to get it out of there though.  Hope it ends well and you get it back. Do they continue to charge daily fees until you claim it?

Offline Wood N Fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 06, 2015, 05:10 PM »
Apparently it is not "public" property at the access, but rather the property of who ever thinks he is in charge. This will not go away quietly, I assure you. Now then, if the park goes ahead and pays the towing company so I can get my house...... well that's a start. But, where would those funds come from ? The PEOPLE. The citizens. So I still have to pay to get it back.  I say it should come out of the wages of the thief who authorized the looting.

Offline Wood N Fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2015, 05:14 PM »
This can't end well...  Sorry to hear about your ice house. If your name was on it and it was sitting ashore, they could have called and gave you a warning ticket for littering instead of having it hauled off lol! Two weeks seems like a long time to get it out of there though.  Hope it ends well and you get it back. Do they continue to charge daily fees until you claim it?

Exactly, I would have swallowed a littering fine, which is still bull in this case, with reservations. And yes it is a $30 daily charge until I pick it up.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Mar 06, 2015, 05:19 PM »
That's a load of crap.  I'd be raising hell with anyone I could, even call the news and see if they'd do a story about it to warn others.  I wonder how much the park guy's pockets got lined on that deal. 

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 06, 2015, 05:20 PM »
Wow.  I never leave anything around like that. Sucks they took it.  I don't know why they didn't notify you the day it was removed.
Don

Offline Wood N Fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2015, 05:27 PM »
Wow.  I never leave anything around like that. Sucks they took it.  I don't know why they didn't notify you the day it was removed.

They don't think, therefore they cannot notify.

Offline Wood N Fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 06, 2015, 05:30 PM »
And get a load of this. The towing company owner, when I dissed the park nazis, said "Well I guess you maybe don't want to go to Keyhole anymore "

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 06, 2015, 05:32 PM »
take them to small claims court

Offline Wood N Fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 06, 2015, 05:45 PM »
But wait ! There's more ! Get your house stolen AND pay to get it back! So I ask the tow guy if he is negotiable on the price, ( I realized this was gonna cost me something no matter what, legitimate or not) he said what's your offer, I say $200. He says, naw I'll  just keep it and use it as a storage shed. How does this guy sleep at night ?  I am going to talk to the local cop. I already know his response. He will either side with the thieves or have no opinion. Truly wish I am wrong on that.

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 06, 2015, 05:52 PM »
Go take it back.
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 06, 2015, 05:54 PM »
if you are going to bother to go to the police then file charges against him for stealing it and demand they do the paper work they have to prove that you violated a rule

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Mar 06, 2015, 06:51 PM »
If he'd left it on the ice it woulda been ok. He put it on shore. THATS the deal-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline icefishing J

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 06, 2015, 07:44 PM »
this is one of many reason's that if the state takes controil
of all fed land in wyoming a guy will have this type of problem.
I'm pretty easy going and try to treat ether's as i wont to be
be treated, and the only place we have any trouble is in the
state parks???. sorry to here that thy did this, how much
would it cost to take it to court?
Just making Swiss Ice

Offline fishbone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 06, 2015, 07:48 PM »
file a claim in small claims court----call a lawyer

Offline Goodnight

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 06, 2015, 07:58 PM »
You can fight this, win, and if done correctly they will pay your court fees. Bunch of bs....sounds to me like who ever made that call got picked on a little too much in highschool.
To those who are about to fish, I salute you!

Offline NitroChukar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 06, 2015, 09:00 PM »
You can fight this, win, and if done correctly they will pay your court fees. Bunch of bs....sounds to me like who ever made that call got picked on a little too much in highschool.

He isn't going to win nothing. Have you ever tried to sue the government? Very difficult. Why didn't you notify the park you wanted to leave it in the parking lot for so long? I'm surprised they waited the 14 days to act on it. it was in a parking lot , it's not a storage lot.  It was your responsibility to take care off it, not the park Nazi's.  It seems the park has a rule that covers just about everything, including leaving items in a parking lot unattended.  The tow operator can't just keep it. He has to post a notice in the paper 3 times and then have an auction and it's sold to the highest bidder.you might be ahead to negotiate the cheapest rate you can with him. You could also ask the park people what rule you violated and if you think they are wrong, call Cheyenne, they maybe able to help. BTW, did they issue you a citation?

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #18 on: Mar 06, 2015, 10:01 PM »
That's terrible.
So many fish, so little time.

Offline Coyotehntr2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 07, 2015, 12:48 AM »
WoodNF,  Bummer of an ordeal!  I do not the rules enough to know who is right or wrong here, but I find it especially sad when a man's name and contact # are visible, and yet our public servants seem more and more detached from a common sense approach and solution. Therefore, they opt to forgo an extra minute or two of his (her) precious time, and not contact the owner.   Another case history of bureaucrats missing an opportunity to easily resolve any misunderstanding or minor problem that existed. Instead, their remedy is to DROP THE HAMMER.   I hope it ends well for you WoodNF and hopefully the bitter taste of dealing with these type of Nazis soon fades and you again look forward to your time spent on the ice. 

Offline Wood N Fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Mar 07, 2015, 01:31 AM »
He isn't going to win nothing. Have you ever tried to sue the government? Very difficult. Why didn't you notify the park you wanted to leave it in the parking lot for so long? I'm surprised they waited the 14 days to act on it. it was in a parking lot , it's not a storage lot.  It was your responsibility to take care off it, not the park Nazi's.  It seems the park has a rule that covers just about everything, including leaving items in a parking lot unattended.  The tow operator can't just keep it. He has to post a notice in the paper 3 times and then have an auction and it's sold to the highest bidder.you might be ahead to negotiate the cheapest rate you can with him. You could also ask the park people what rule you violated and if you think they are wrong, call Cheyenne, they maybe able to help. BTW, did they issue you a citation?
No citation issued. That's the thing, a littering citation I could almost understand, although it certainly wasn't litter. I left it there because I was waiti ng to see if it got cold again to put it back out and do some more fishing.  There was no common sense involved here. These clowns have none.

Offline crave2fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Mar 07, 2015, 08:01 PM »
You would think they could have called you to give you a warning that it has to go or will be towed...It seems like maybe they enjoy being on the mean side.

I heard some of the stories about how rude these park patrolman can be, but didn't think it was real, until I had a chance to visit with one of them. Maybe it was just the one that I ran into? I was fishing past 10:00pm but didn't have a camping overnight pass, I only had a day pass. I didn't see anything on the wonderful signs at the entry point about needing a camping pass to fish late. I told this guy that I wasn't camping and that I didn't see anything about needing a pass for fishing late, and I wasn't going to be staying overnight.. He got cranky and threw a fit like a little kid and said pay the fee or leave. Real professional guy...Think he must have been one of those people who was picked on as a kid and now he flexes his authority.

Also, which Park Official came up with the stupid parking set up at the boat parking areas. Obviously, none of them have a trailer. It took some real brain power to come up with this ridiculous set up, especially the one at wind creek ramp. Maybe I'm missing something?

Offline NitroChukar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Mar 07, 2015, 08:27 PM »

I was fishing past 10:00pm but didn't have a camping overnight pass, I only had a day pass. I didn't see anything on the wonderful signs at the entry point about needing a camping pass to fish late. I told this guy that I wasn't camping and that I didn't see anything about needing a pass for fishing late, and I wasn't going to be staying overnight.. He got cranky and threw a fit like a little kid and said pay the fee or leave.
Wow, that's a new one. Need to call the Parks Dept and find out more about this one. Wonder if that's why they have been patrolling the road into Wind Creek so much at night. Don't speed on that road or it will cost you. Need to find out which state board over sees Keyhole and start making some phone calls, hopefully slow down some of this craziness if they get enough horror stories.

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #23 on: Mar 07, 2015, 09:10 PM »
   Sorry you got hit like that heh, a deputy of the Natrona County Sherriff's office took my small shack off the lake at Cottonwood with a foot of ice on the lake...no reason or rymn why????? I did not get a call or any notification. Sloane's store told me that they took it off the lake and put it in county storage and that it would stay there. I was not a happy camper and called the office and told them where they could put my shack. Some dumbasses we have "protecting and serving" eh. Anyway Wood I would take all the good advice these guys have posted and see what happens. I don't understand where these oddballs get off on giving out so much crap to us sportsmen.

Offline Dead Sea Cuffer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Mar 07, 2015, 11:10 PM »
wood n fish i would file an official complaint with the state .I personally and many people i know have been treated like second rate citizens and  have been razzed at keyhole on numerous occasions .The officials out there have been overzealous for several years now. Things got so bad i quit the dead sea altogether for a good while .  It's by far the most policed area I've ever set foot on  :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
"The cuff is strutting his stuff"

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Mar 07, 2015, 11:24 PM »
Not a wyo guy so my imput probably doesnt matter... But who owns the parking lot? State? Id imagine there is a law in the books somewhere regarding unattended items (yes your shack is an item) or vehicles left in the lots. Should be a ticket and removal fee (towing in this case). Probably lucky you didnt get ticked as well. I doubt the patrol has the time to try and contact the owners of every item left in a parking lot, even plainly marked. Id guess standard procedure is to remove it and then cite the owner when they try and claim it. In wouldnt be surprised if you get a ticket in the mail.

A state parking lot or lakeshore is not a free storage lot.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Mar 08, 2015, 05:25 AM »

I heard some of the stories about how rude these park patrolman can be, but didn't think it was real, until I had a chance to visit with one of them. Maybe it was just the one that I ran into? I was fishing past 10:00pm but didn't have a camping overnight pass, I only had a day pass. I didn't see anything on the wonderful signs at the entry point about needing a camping pass to fish late. I told this guy that I wasn't camping and that I didn't see anything about needing a pass for fishing late, and I wasn't going to be staying overnight.. He got cranky and threw a fit like a little kid and said pay the fee or leave. Real professional guy...Think he must have been one of those people who was picked on as a kid and now he flexes his authority.

I've heard they pull this crap at Glendo too.  Total BS.   Why the heck do you need a camping permit if you are fishing at night?  How do they equate fishing to camping?  These are two entirely different things!!!

That rule needs to change I think.... why can't a guy go park and fish at night with a regular state park pass? Why force them into buying a "camping" pass when they have no intentions of camping at all!?

Offline Hole Tender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Mar 08, 2015, 09:41 AM »
I think it is rediculous that they didn't call you. A simple phone call could have saved a lot of trouble and money. Whomever called a towing company instead of calling you should be ashamed. However, I think it is unreasonable to expect them to let you keep a fish house in the boat ramp parking lot for a month. I think a fish house is equivalent to a boat in summertime. If they let people leave boats in the parking lot until they returned to fish again, the parking lots would be full all of the time. I think the best option going forward would be to work a deal with the towing company and pay them. Pushing against the state park might prompt them to push back with charges and fines. Bummer deal. The new superintendent of Keyhole seemed to be a pretty reasonable guy. If I had to guess, I would say the law enforcement guys were in charge of this nonsense.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Mar 08, 2015, 10:18 AM »
You would think they could have called you to give you a warning that it has to go or will be towed...It seems like maybe they enjoy being on the mean side.

Also, which Park Official came up with the stupid parking set up at the boat parking areas. Obviously, none of them have a trailer. It took some real brain power to come up with this ridiculous set up, especially the one at wind creek ramp. Maybe I'm missing something?

It has been that way for as long as I have been here.  Day use is only good till 10pm. 

Here is the pdf to all the rules.  http://soswy.state.wy.us/Rules/RULES/6990.pdf

Don

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Mar 08, 2015, 10:22 AM »
Section 5 covers abandoned property.

Could of they called you, sure.  But they choose not to so. 
Don

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.