Author Topic: Current Snow Conditions on Lake Winnipeg  (Read 5956 times)

Offline Doug1980

• IceShanty Rookie
Current Snow Conditions on Lake Winnipeg
« on: Mar 06, 2015, 11:10 AM »
Hello all,
My yearly trip is just two weeks away, but one of the snowmobiles we use, is out of commission at the moment.   Hopefully my buddy will get it fixed in short order, but if not, I was wondering how deep the snow is on the lake itself?   Last year I think it was three feet so we couldn't go anywhere without a sled or tracked atv.    We have an ATV that is not tracked (just wheels), would that be doable or is there too much snow on the lake?   Obviously I know alot can change in two weeks, but just trying to figure out if we have a plan B.

Thanks in advance for the response,
Doug

Offline reel

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Current Snow Conditions on Lake Winnipeg
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2015, 08:58 PM »
If conditions remain as they are now, a wheeled quad is OK. 4x4 trucks are driving around on the lake now as well as quads. Way less snow on the ice then last year, not even close, no comparison. With warmer temps coming the existing  snow is gonna collapse  even more. ....so its looking good. A big dump of fresh snow and all can change overnight though, but its unlikely things will deteriorate that badly with warmer temps, this late in the season.

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2015, 07:28 AM »
If conditions remain as they are now, a wheeled quad is OK. 4x4 trucks are driving around on the lake now as well as quads. Way less snow on the ice then last year, not even close, no comparison. With warmer temps coming the existing  snow is gonna collapse  even more. ....so its looking good. A big dump of fresh snow and all can change overnight though, but its unlikely things will deteriorate that badly with warmer temps, this late in the season.
Reel said it perfectly! The only concern will be getting around the ridges has they tend to change as the weather warms as indicated by a previous post.
Blue Igloo
:tipup:

Offline Doug1980

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2015, 02:48 PM »
Thanks all, it sounds like my buddy got his sled up and running, but we might bring the quads anyway depending on the snow conditions.   Heading up next week, and am looking forward to some good fishing, and visiting some friends we made last year.   

Thanks again,
Doug

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2015, 04:37 PM »
Thanks all, it sounds like my buddy got his sled up and running, but we might bring the quads anyway depending on the snow conditions.   Heading up next week, and am looking forward to some good fishing, and visiting some friends we made last year.   

Thanks again,
Doug

We are expecting highs in the 50's Doug on Sunday, no measureable snow in the near future. Check here, I'll also pm you my cell number. Can text you up to the minute info.

Cam.

Offline CILRedRIVER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2015, 06:25 PM »
We are expecting highs in the 50's Doug on Sunday, no measureable snow in the near future. Check here, I'll also pm you my cell number. Can text you up to the minute info.

Cam.

Now that's what I call friendly Manitoba.

Good on you Cam

Offline Doug1980

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2015, 11:20 AM »
You guys rock!   Thanks for the cell# and for all the info from everyone!  I really appreciate it.   I've experienced nothing but friendly hospitality from everyone I have met and spoken to so far.   Thanks again for everything!

Doug

Offline Fish Camp 24-7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 10, 2015, 02:05 PM »
I will also be out on the east side this Friday and the following weekend, pm me if you need any info.

Offline PhillyFacks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 12, 2015, 10:56 AM »
Me and 3 buddies are heading up next weekend, it'll be our first time out on Lake Winnipeg.  We had planned on bringing sleds but with this weather & lack of snow we're leaning towards quads now.  From the previous posts it sounds like guys are having no issues getting around with quads?  We're staying up in Gimli and will be heading out from Chalet Beach.  How's the ice looking up there now?  I've got a couple GPS spots marked towards the south basin so we're looking to head that way.  Saw some pics of quite a few ice ridges forming over the weekend, any idea on how it's looking if we're heading that way, areas to avoid, or how long a drive it'll be on quads?  Never done Winnipeg before so any advice would be greatly appreciated!  I'll be in a red RAM pickup with MN plates, if your at Chalet Beach and see us come on over and say hi.  Thanks guys!

Offline Doug1980

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 12, 2015, 01:55 PM »
From what I have heard from some local guys I have been talking to, the ice ridges are pretty tough to get over right now.    I've heard that they are essentially impassable in many areas, but cannot give more specifics than that, as I won't be up there until mid next week. 

Offline Doug1980

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 12, 2015, 01:56 PM »
Thanks Fish Camp 24-7, I appreciate that.   I probably will PM you before I head up there.

Thanks,
Doug

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 12, 2015, 02:50 PM »
Just got home from there. I would not use a snowmobile unless you don't care about wearing out the sliders. There is really no loose snow but there is water and slush in spots. Best bet today were quads……wheeled or tracked. Saw a few SnoBears and many side by sides, sleds, quads and trucks pass through/over the ridges and made their way to the "sacred" Red River mouth  ::) I saw one small Ranger type truck stuck on a ridge. Lots of anglers out and spread out everywhere for miles. Access is slushy and bumpy at CBR but doable in 2 wheel drive. Heck, I even saw a car out near the Salamonia  ::)
Ice is 4 ft thick……bring an extension. AYA Derby is at CBR this weekend…….the place will be a zoo this weekend.
Blue Igloo  :tipup:

Offline quickstrike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 12, 2015, 03:05 PM »
Thanks for sharing a detailed report blue. Heading out with my wife and son tomorrow and the heads up on current conditions is appreciated by many I'm sure especially at this time of year with things changing so quickly.

Offline PhillyFacks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 12, 2015, 03:52 PM »
Thanks for sharing blue igloo, I appreciate the updates.

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 12, 2015, 09:35 PM »
Thanks for sharing a detailed report blue. Heading out with my wife and son tomorrow and the heads up on current conditions is appreciated by many I'm sure especially at this time of year with things changing so quickly.

Thanks for sharing blue igloo, I appreciate the updates.

You're welcome! Remember conditions change by the hour with these higher temps. Make sure you have a plan B  :)

Offline reel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 13, 2015, 10:24 PM »
Just got home from there. I would not use a snowmobile unless you don't care about wearing out the sliders. There is really no loose snow but there is water and slush in spots. Best bet today were quads……wheeled or tracked. Saw a few SnoBears and many side by sides, sleds, quads and trucks pass through/over the ridges and made their way to the "sacred" Red River mouth  ::) I saw one small Ranger type truck stuck on a ridge. Lots of anglers out and spread out everywhere for miles. Access is slushy and bumpy at CBR but doable in 2 wheel drive. Heck, I even saw a car out near the Salamonia  ::)
Ice is 4 ft thick……bring an extension. AYA Derby is at CBR this weekend…….the place will be a zoo this weekend.

Hey blue, have you seen anybody at CBR specifically crossing the ridge by truck, I wonder is the ridge is still crossable  at CBR by truck.... (apart from that Ranger) Thx.

Offline duffermartin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 14, 2015, 06:52 PM »
For those of you out fishing this weekend.  Hows the ice holding up with these warm temps?  I am from central No. Dak. and we are planning a trip up there this coming weekend.  Just trying to get a heads up on what you locals and people that frequent the lake have on the ice conditions and expectations for the coming week?

Thanks in advance and good luck to all!

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 14, 2015, 09:25 PM »
Hey blue, have you seen anybody at CBR specifically crossing the ridge by truck, I wonder is the ridge is still crossable  at CBR by truck.... (apart from that Ranger) Thx.
YES….but that was Thursday! Weather has been warm since.

Offline skreeks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 14, 2015, 09:48 PM »
Chalet will b iffy by next weekend. No prob w\ quads though! Shore is rotted out pretty good today.

Offline duffermartin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Mar 15, 2015, 06:23 AM »
Thanks skreeks, boy what a year makes, last year on the same date it was 30 below, we are staying up in Matlock, is there any access out of there or would it be better to head to Chalet and launch from there.  As of now our game plan was to launch from Matlock and work our way towards the mouth, of course that is if the ice allows.

Again thanks for the input

Offline quickstrike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 15, 2015, 08:24 AM »
As of yesterday It didn't look like any trucks were crossing the ridge from Chalet Beach / Warner Road side. We did see quads and snowmobiles on the other side of the ridge driving along it looking for a way back. There were trucks to the north on the other side of it heading towards the mouth. I can only guess they accessed at the Wpg. Beach marina or further north of that.

Perhaps access is better from the east side?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.