The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Good Deed for the day  (Read 1422 times)

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Good Deed for the day
« on: Mar 05, 2015, 07:14 PM »
Went fishing with #1Bassfisher, Sportskid and a few other buddies that have yet to sign up on this site. We came across this guy who was about 60 year olds in his side by side stuck in the slush that was up over his axles. We only had the snowmobiles and we tried to use them as the anchor so he could winch himself out , but no luck.

I drove down and found a guy fishing with a wheeler, but that didn't work either, so I drove down to the other end of the lake where I thought I saw a CamAm that had tracks on it.  I talked the guy into coming back to help this guy out. He hooked on it and pulled it right out and the whole time kept saying is he hooked on, I don't feel anything back there.

Here is the Video
http://vid265.photobucket.com/albums/ii213/coach04222/Camera%20011_zps1v1onspj.mp4

We did manger to get a little fishing in and landed 2 nice Brookies.

Offline franklin fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Good Deed for the day
« Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2015, 08:08 PM »
Good job. Glad to see people going the extra mile to help out others, and you still got to catch fish.

Offline chum bucket

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2015, 09:59 PM »
nice job helping out the gent, you just never know when it could be you. :)
Semper Fi

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 06, 2015, 06:03 AM »
I got stuck on Hancock a couple of weeks ago with my sled. 10" of water with 18" of snow. Took me and a buddy 4 hrs to get off the ice. Last Sunday at the Station I met a Farther son duo who was going out for the day on wheelers. I warned them about the slush pockets out there. I fished till about 4 or so and made my way back. Who do I see stuck in a pocket of slush , yup the guys I met in the morning. The dad who was 60+ was completely soaked from trying to push his son out. I stopped and we shoveled some of the slush out and hooked up his winch to my sled and after a few tugs and more shoveling we got him out. I pulled their gear in for  them. What burns my backside was they were stuck no more than 35 yds from a hardside with a  few young strapping bucks that just watched through the window.

Offline hardwatergrampa

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2015, 07:45 AM »
glad you didn't say sportsmen in the shack
in god we trust

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 06, 2015, 07:47 AM »
where is all this water coming from?

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 06, 2015, 07:48 AM »
where is all this water coming from?
snow pack pressure

Offline icewoman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2015, 08:07 AM »
In this world that we live in today,  I'm glad to see/hear people willing to help others out of a situation....GOOD JOB GUYS!!!

For the people who just ignore and watch from afar,   their day will come! ;)
QUIT WISHIN AND LETS GO FISHIN !!!

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 06, 2015, 08:30 AM »
god job coach! as for those guys, what goes around comes around! @)

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 06, 2015, 08:40 AM »
god job coach! as for those guys, what goes around comes around! @)

I think they are setting right on a cusk area might need to set a few traps around the shack some night   @)

Offline Downeaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 06, 2015, 02:44 PM »
Absolutely terrific.  i had a similar experience as him just 3 weeks ago on Keoka lake.  I have a shack that was on
the opposite shore and no way to get it off with 2 foot of snow.  I put chains on my Tundra, and had my snow
plow on the front.  I managed to get almost to the shack, and past rock island.  I ran into deep slush with 2 foot
of snow covering it.  I was stuck bad.  A friend and I shoveled ice slush for 2 hours, then decided we had better
walk back to the boat landing.  That took us an hour as the wind refilled the plowed area again with snow.  I
managed to find one person to come and plow, and pull me out just before dark.  It was expensive but I feel
lucky that someone was willing to do it.  That won't happen to me again.  Everything was going okay until we hit
the slush.  The snow now is settling some, so in another few warm days, I should be able to pull it off with my
Grizzly.  I managed to get to it with the Griz and block it up another 5 inches expecting the blocks to sink some
once the weather warms.  First cold morning after the warm weather, the shacks coming home.

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 06, 2015, 07:16 PM »
Thanks, On any given day that could be any one of us and I would hope if I am in that situation someone would help us.

Buddy of mine from work said he helped out a guy who buried his sled out on the lake. He said he looked out his window when he got home and saw a guy just sitting there and it looked like he had crashed his sled, so he took a walk out to see if he was ok.

He said the walk out was terrible and the sled was buried under snow and slush and the guy said he had been there for hours. He helped get the sled back on top of the snow and feathered the throttle and when he got it going he hollowed back to the guy I live right there and I will pull it up on my lawn just follow me. He then took the guy down to the boat launch to get his truck and helped him load it.  He said the guy could not thank him enough and wanted to pay him, he said I am a Sportsman myself and that is what you do when someone needs help, so just pay it forward to someone who needs it.

Offline jrio101

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 07, 2015, 05:58 PM »
I'm the guy with the Can Am with tracks that pulled him out. Just doing something that I hope someone would do for me.

Offline hardwatergrampa

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 07, 2015, 06:05 PM »
I'm the guy with the Can Am with tracks that pulled him out. Just doing something that I hope someone would do for me.
nice job    hope you never need the favor
in god we trust

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 08, 2015, 06:58 PM »
Shanty members always seem to step up to help others in need, Thanks again for helping him out.

If I can ever get the video off my camera of you pulling him out I will post it here.

Offline drl823

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 08, 2015, 07:42 PM »
Class act Coach...

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 09, 2015, 06:33 PM »
I attached the video

Offline jrio101

• IceShanty Rookie