The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Caspian Tips  (Read 1191 times)

Offline williev18

• Team IceShanty Regular
Caspian Tips
« on: Mar 05, 2015, 03:51 PM »
Hey all, thinking about making a trip over to Caspian Lake in Greensboro, tomorrow to jig for Lakers. Ive checked out the Depth charts on the VFG web site and see a few places that look good. Ive never fished that lake so just wondering if any one had any pointers on places or depths to start with. Going to bring the Polaris and bay runner so mobility shouldn't be a problem unless slush is realy bad. Not looking for you hot spots but any pointers will be appreciated.  ;D :tipup:

Offline Smelty88

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Caspian Tips
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2015, 06:25 AM »
wow no one replied? maybe they pm'ed you. we had ok luck in 40-60 fow when we went. didn't go that far back from the launch either.
Think I'm gettin abite my flag's twitchin
twitter@wefishing2day IG: Smelty88

Offline williev18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2015, 03:15 PM »
Pretty quiet on the responses, but I managed to figure them out pretty well today, found them in 80fow today in a couple places around the lake. Ended up with 3 for the day from 15"-22". No records for sure but seeing I had never cought a laker before I was pretty excited.  :tipup:

Managed to snap a pic of the biggest one before I slid him back down the hole  ;D

Offline Smelty88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 06, 2015, 04:22 PM »
very nice!
Think I'm gettin abite my flag's twitchin
twitter@wefishing2day IG: Smelty88

Offline vthonkerhtr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2015, 05:29 PM »
caspian is full of lakers, use electronics and can really zero in on them.  i know guys that get 60-70 on a decent weekend jigging all small usually.   then go back the next day and get skunked.  caspian can really be hot then cold for a month.  i think it has alot to do with how many people are driving around on the lake.   i have caught good perch, had a guy drill a hole and bam shut off like someone switched a light

Offline williev18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 06, 2015, 08:05 PM »
I noticed that I was alone on the lake, making fish pretty regularly from about 8-10 am and caught my first 2 within 10 min of each other and lost one about 10ft from the hole. At 11 that hole just shut down and never came back, just as other groups moved out onto the ice. I tried a few humps out in the lake and found nothing. I moved to the deep water channel between the points and caught the last and biggest fish about 12:30 and didn't mark another one until I picked up at 2.

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 09, 2015, 09:10 AM »
Congrats on your first lakers, Williev!  What were the ice conditions like on Caspian?  I heard it was pretty sloppy earlier in the year, but was considering hitting it up on the last day of the 2015 trout season (next Sunday).

Offline williev18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 09, 2015, 06:44 PM »
The ice was good, a solid 20" of ice. Snow depths where varied around the lake ranging from 6" to 12" depending where you where on the lake. There are a few roads plowed but I wouldn't try leaving them with a truck. This weeks warm up may up the slush factor though.

Offline PerchSlayer67

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "It's a big one guys!"
« Reply #8 on: Mar 09, 2015, 08:24 PM »
wow no one replied? maybe they pm'ed you. we had ok luck in 40-60 fow when we went. didn't go that far back from the launch either.
No suprise there Caspian has been awful this year. Regulars I know are pulling there shanties and everyone else because Fishing is so bad and so many shorties
"Ice is on the lake so we're going Fishin!"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.