The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: How much longer you think we all got  (Read 2221 times)

Offline buddlakemusky

• Team IceShanty Regular
How much longer you think we all got
« on: Mar 05, 2015, 10:45 AM »
forecast show 50's for st. pattys after 40's all of next week

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
Re: How much longer you think we all got
« Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2015, 11:36 AM »
Don't know how much you have up there ,but on state line we have 21"plus, unless massive rain and wind, even 50* would take a long week, at the earliest!!  Each body of water will be different, creeks draining, sunlight ect, freezing at night!!

Offline FilletofSoul

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • if its brown its down
« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2015, 01:42 PM »
2 weeks til the ice is too weak.
But don't quote me on that. I have a drinking problem, I keep running out of beer. I've always been a little bit crazy, but its kept me from going insane.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2015, 02:51 PM »
Not long, just hope the transition from unsafe ice to open water doesn't last too long

Offline FilletofSoul

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • if its brown its down
« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2015, 03:54 PM »
I just went for a walk, and there's alot of snow on the ground, kind of concerned where its all gonna go when it melts, and what kinda toll its gonna take on the ice. It could be a short lived last ice.
But don't quote me on that. I have a drinking problem, I keep running out of beer. I've always been a little bit crazy, but its kept me from going insane.

Offline pastaboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH - ON!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2015, 08:50 PM »
If it gets cold at night it may last 3-weeks?!?  :unsure: At least that is what I am hopin' for but with my luck it will probably be 2-weeks...  :pinch:

Offline buddlakemusky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 2015, 09:50 PM »
if we can make it to the 15th then I would be fine with that

Offline Capt J

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2015, 06:29 AM »
I'm pretty sure we have until its over. Or at least that long.

Offline Able2fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 06, 2015, 07:00 AM »
Well last year we had ice till last week of March. I'm thinking the same scenario this year, so my guess is March22.

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 06, 2015, 07:37 AM »

;D ;D

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 06, 2015, 08:14 AM »

Yeah, what he said :tipup:

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #11 on: Mar 06, 2015, 09:11 AM »
wood tv news is saying "ice will be significantly impacted by mid-week for those who ice fish".

and what j says. at least as long.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #12 on: Mar 06, 2015, 09:24 AM »
the snow has to melt first then the ice. im guessing 2 weeks.but the future weather pattern has me working on the boat and getting ready to hit the river.it might be my last weekend on the ice regardless.

Offline icecaptain

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 06, 2015, 10:57 AM »
April
"the worst day of fishing is always better than a great day at work"

Offline tommy-n

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 06, 2015, 03:46 PM »
Bud lake, your ice is not going anywhere soon, there's 24-32 inches all around there. I will probally just quit ice fishing and start steelhead fishing before the safe ice is gone, just saying. Going to be the same program as last year ice fishing for 3 weeks after everyone thinks it's not safe, gotta love this time of year ;D

Offline buddlakemusky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 07, 2015, 09:10 PM »
we ain't got no 30 inch of ice here but there is 17 to 22 inches so plenty either way, I'm thinking 2 weeks of good ice for sure but you never know

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 07, 2015, 09:22 PM »
agree on a couple weeks. I've got a good 18"..Shore ice can get a little shaky in a hurry...Ice out last year was April 8th..

Offline highviews

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 09, 2015, 01:11 PM »
Fished Bruin lake in Gregory Sunday and the tape measure said 20". We were on the west end of the lake 100yds from the canal that never has safe ice in it. It'll be at least 2 more maybe 3 weeks in SE MI
Larry

Offline buddlakemusky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 09, 2015, 01:24 PM »
just got off wiggins lake in gladwin, there were 7 or 8 trucks out there and more than 20 inches of ice, at least two weeks

Offline icefishdoug

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 09, 2015, 03:15 PM »
with all this sunshine and water on top of ice..we have to worry about the effects of thermal infarkalation on the stability of the ice. when the earth is on it's axis spinning and the changing of the angle of the relationship of the earth and sun, the rays from the sun are refracted by the water sitting on the ice, thus causing thermal infarkalation, this causes the ice to deteriorate, twice as fast as if it were say late January, I would have to say..maybe 5 days at most..that is if you want to drive your truck out on the ice..maybe 10 days or so for snowmobiles or quads..and if you foot it..maybe 15...now thermal infarkalation can be affected by how much moisture is in the air,(clouds) ect. so if we have any rain or high humidity causing the sun rays to bend ever at a higher angle causing a higher degree of thermal infarkalation. now with that being said, if we have to some degree of deterioration of the ice and we get say 4 or 5 days of high pressure, the ice will deteriorate even faster because of the high pressure pushing down on the weak ice causing it to bow,bend and break near the shore line...but untill all that happens..tight lines everyone ;)

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #20 on: Mar 09, 2015, 03:19 PM »
  I'm confused with those big words I never heard of, in short the sun does it no good, ain't that right??

Offline pastaboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH - ON!
« Reply #21 on: Mar 09, 2015, 07:06 PM »
A week up here, maybe two if we plank...... :unsure:

Offline redhorseking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Mar 09, 2015, 09:22 PM »
I just check w/ a spud and keep an eye on wind for the cracks. like many I will be on the bay after the river has closed, but on foot. yeah, last ice is not safe. but people can extend their season if they pay close attention to their ice. I've walked over a 3 inch crack, the wind changes before we come in and the crack is over 2 feet wide. gotta keep thinking about the weather and wind!
I toad a soo!

Offline Swedish Pimp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Mar 10, 2015, 05:18 PM »
Shore ice is going to take a hit. Planking season will begin soon.

Offline buddlakemusky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Mar 10, 2015, 07:32 PM »
drove by budd lake today still trucks on it better get fishing tomorrow morning for sure, just want to get through sunday for the pike closer

Offline FilletofSoul

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • if its brown its down
« Reply #25 on: Mar 10, 2015, 08:24 PM »
Once this snow melts, winter is gonna come back and tighten things back up. So no need to panic or sell all your gear just yet.

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Mar 10, 2015, 09:02 PM »
with all this sunshine and water on top of ice..we have to worry about the effects of thermal infarkalation on the stability of the ice. when the earth is on it's axis spinning and the changing of the angle of the relationship of the earth and sun, the rays from the sun are refracted by the water sitting on the ice, thus causing thermal infarkalation, this causes the ice to deteriorate, twice as fast as if it were say late January, I would have to say..maybe 5 days at most..that is if you want to drive your truck out on the ice..maybe 10 days or so for snowmobiles or quads..and if you foot it..maybe 15...now thermal infarkalation can be affected by how much moisture is in the air,(clouds) ect. so if we have any rain or high humidity causing the sun rays to bend ever at a higher angle causing a higher degree of thermal infarkalation. now with that being said, if we have to some degree of deterioration of the ice and we get say 4 or 5 days of high pressure, the ice will deteriorate even faster because of the high pressure pushing down on the weak ice causing it to bow,bend and break near the shore line...but untill all that happens..tight lines everyone ;)

LMAO..What did I do with my shovel..

Offline Capt J

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Mar 11, 2015, 09:00 AM »
and then theres that   ;D

Offline icefishdoug

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Mar 11, 2015, 09:31 AM »
bobberbill
Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #26 on: Mar 10, 2015, 08:02 PM »

Quote from: icefishdoug on Mar 09, 2015, 02:15 PM

with all this sunshine and water on top of ice..we have to worry about the effects of thermal infarkalation on the stability of the ice. when the earth is on it's axis spinning and the changing of the angle of the relationship of the earth and sun, the rays from the sun are refracted by the water sitting on the ice, thus causing thermal infarkalation, this causes the ice to deteriorate, twice as fast as if it were say late January, I would have to say..maybe 5 days at most..that is if you want to drive your truck out on the ice..maybe 10 days or so for snowmobiles or quads..and if you foot it..maybe 15...now thermal infarkalation can be affected by how much moisture is in the air,(clouds) ect. so if we have any rain or high humidity causing the sun rays to bend ever at a higher angle causing a higher degree of thermal infarkalation. now with that being said, if we have to some degree of deterioration of the ice and we get say 4 or 5 days of high pressure, the ice will deteriorate even faster because of the high pressure pushing down on the weak ice causing it to bow,bend and break near the shore line...but untill all that happens..tight lines everyone

LMAO..What did I do with my shovel..

FINALLY!!!!!  way to go bobberbill...LOL 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.