The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Peck on the Fly  (Read 5926 times)

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
Peck on the Fly
« on: Mar 05, 2015, 10:27 AM »
Sorry fellas, I know this is an ice forum, but I felt like I could get some good feedback from a lot of experienced anglers on here. Just wondering if anyone has targeted big northerns on the fly during open water? If things work out, I should be heading up to MT for good in a couple weeks. I really would like to attempt to get into some big fish after ice-out. What is the minimum size boat/watercraft that would be ok to take out on the reservoir?

Thanks for any advice/guidance that you're willing to provide, 

Trev

Offline Wapiti Warrior

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Peck on the Fly
« Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2015, 11:04 AM »
It's big water, but you could stay in the bay at Hell creek and try it. I have a 17' lund, but I don't think I would go out with less than 16'.  I have always wanted to give that a shot, but just never have. The other place that might be good is Tongue reservoir. At one time the state record pike came from there.

John

Offline mike1371

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2015, 12:04 PM »
I just got an 8 wt for  peck! stripping streamers for pike and smallies!

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2015, 01:48 PM »
It's big water, but you could stay in the bay at Hell creek and try it. I have a 17' lund, but I don't think I would go out with less than 16'.  I have always wanted to give that a shot, but just never have. The other place that might be good is Tongue reservoir. At one time the state record pike came from there.

John

Thanks John, very much appreciated!

I just got an 8 wt for  peck! stripping streamers for pike and smallies!

Heck ya brother!

Offline Strippnthedream

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep ur knots tight and ur lines tighter!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2015, 02:45 PM »
I know u asked about peck but, Tiber would be another good bet for stripping streamers in the shallows might slap a couple Shwallys as well.
Luv2strip

So good with my rod I make fish come!

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2015, 05:23 PM »
I know u asked about peck but, Tiber would be another good bet for stripping streamers in the shallows might slap a couple Shwallys as well.

Definitely looking into it! Thanks bro

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 2015, 05:45 PM »
We take drift boats and fly fish in Hell Creek. Right at ice out the pike are in very shallow water at the head of the bay.

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 05, 2015, 06:01 PM »
We take drift boats and fly fish in Hell Creek. Right at ice out the pike are in very shallow water at the head of the bay.

Good to hear from you again! Thanks for the tip, sounds unreal!

Offline bigsky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 06, 2015, 01:16 PM »
I plan on trying this at ice off. Grizzlyhackle, where are you moving?

Offline esoxchaser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 06, 2015, 02:14 PM »

What is a general time frame for ice out?  Obviously it would vary by the year, but is does it generally occur in April?  Have you guys had any success wade fishing, or is it all from boats?

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 06, 2015, 06:08 PM »
Usually in April sometime.

We use drift boats and row the shoreline casting into shallow water and stripping out. Can cover a lot of water that way. Have not tried wading Peck, though we used to catch them from shore at Crooked and Devils on smelt and forked stick way back when...just very mucky usually in spring.

Offline bigsky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 06, 2015, 07:05 PM »
Werger, do you have much success? What size rod do you use?

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #12 on: Mar 06, 2015, 10:04 PM »
You may have better success in June/July. I have had great success casting swimbaits in or near heavy cover during that time of year. Good luck .
So many fish, so little time.

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 07, 2015, 11:24 AM »
Werger, do you have much success? What size rod do you use?

8wt saltwater gear, but a 6 works fine just harder to chuck a big fly.

We get plenty of all sizes up to 15lbs or so. Too busy to try June, but we I have time in early to mid April most years.  Ice out is prime for fly fishing pike anyplace as they look for the warmest water they can find which is shallow. Years ago Clint showed my pictures of 30lb plus pike he caught on the the ranch he grew up on there....at ice out in little fingers off the main lake.

Offline bigsky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 07, 2015, 12:13 PM »
Do you use wire leaders or big fluorocarbon?

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 07, 2015, 12:39 PM »
I use the Surflon Micro 7 that Cabelas has. Leader to a small swivel, a foot of wire tied to the the swivel with a clinch knot and wire tied to the fly also with a clinch. The other thing is to tie the wire with swivel attached right in with the fly as you tie it. Rabbit, bucktail and marabou all work great but non lasts too long.

Commercial made wire leaders also work OK.

Offline rambo51

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 07, 2015, 01:28 PM »
A little off topic but has anyone ever tried trolling big suckers right at ice out? If so how do you rig them? I've heard stories of some monster pike being caught like this but have never heard how it was done.

~~~We Fish For The Fish That Eat The Fish You Fish For~~~
                    -MudbuM Boys

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Mar 09, 2015, 03:07 PM »
I plan on trying this at ice off. Grizzlyhackle, where are you moving?

Four corners area for a couple months then looking to buy a place around Manhattan/Amsterdam 

Thanks again for all of the responses and input!

Trev

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #18 on: Mar 09, 2015, 11:36 PM »
Four corners area for a couple months then looking to buy a place around Manhattan/Amsterdam 

Thanks again for all of the responses and input!

Trev

Good for you grizzlyhackle !! The Bozeman area offers great opportunities for the outdoor enthusiast. Good luck to ya & enjoy Montana !!

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Mar 10, 2015, 06:25 AM »
Good for you grizzlyhackle !! The Bozeman area offers great opportunities for the outdoor enthusiast. Good luck to ya & enjoy Montana !!

Thanks man, definitely means a lot! Still hasn't really sunk in yet, but with every crazy thing life throws at you it just reiterates to me that "everything happens for a reason". Looking forward to meeting and learning from some of you fellas and hopefully make a positive impact on the community. Thanks again

Trev

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Mar 13, 2015, 09:34 AM »
Did a little work on the vise, hoping these will get something big to move

Offline Strippnthedream

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Mar 13, 2015, 03:25 PM »
Yep those should do the trick. Try something white and red like those as well. they like those 2 colors a lot lot lot lot.
Luv2strip

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 13, 2015, 09:01 PM »
You may also try tying in some  stingers for the ones that slash at it short.

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #23 on: Mar 13, 2015, 09:55 PM »
Looks great G.H.
So many fish, so little time.

Offline Goodnight

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Mar 13, 2015, 10:30 PM »
Glad to see there are some fly fisherman on this forum! I'm a fly nut! One of my favorite things to do is go to tongue river or Healey after ice out and throw big streamers with the 8wt. nothing cooler than moving big fish with big flies!
To those who are about to fish, I salute you!

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Mar 14, 2015, 10:42 AM »
Yep those should do the trick. Try something white and red like those as well. they like those 2 colors a lot lot lot lot.

That was next on my list! Here is one I tied up yesterday with the materials I had around. I love the green big fly fiber that I used on the other flies and definitely want to get some in red.

You may also try tying in some  stingers for the ones that slash at it short.

Thanks for the tip, I have some stinger hooks but havent used them yet. I have been using the big game articulated shanks and trailer hook, but may try some stingers on the next ones I tie.

Looks great G.H.

Thanks man!

Glad to see there are some fly fisherman on this forum! I'm a fly nut! One of my favorite things to do is go to tongue river or Healey after ice out and throw big streamers with the 8wt. nothing cooler than moving big fish with big flies!

Heck ya, sounds super fun!

Offline Strippnthedream

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Mar 14, 2015, 01:11 PM »
Boom. All u gotta do now is slap those sexy patterns I front of some big waterwolves n hang on.
Luv2strip

Offline Wapiti Warrior

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Mar 15, 2015, 09:12 AM »
Do you think the eyes help? or are they just for looks? I know they are weighted but if I wanted to tie some flies could I just use some weight like I do for my trout flies?

Just curious...

John

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Mar 15, 2015, 10:53 AM »
Those look great. They will get ripped up like any pike flies, but fish them until they are totally trashed. "Used" flies seem to be the best ones on pike.

I am still trapping but but hope to get there in April yet.

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Mar 15, 2015, 03:49 PM »
Boom. All u gotta do now is slap those sexy patterns I front of some big waterwolves n hang on.

Thanks brother! I am definitely down to hunt some big fish if you are ever around the area!

Do you think the eyes help? or are they just for looks? I know they are weighted but if I wanted to tie some flies could I just use some weight like I do for my trout flies?

Just curious...

John

They aren't actually weighed - they are clear and light weight. I use the fish skull masks with the living eyes. It is just a personal preference, but any streamers I tie I like to add eyes for more realism. If they are needed or not is another debate, but it just gives me a little more confidence in the fly. I use weighted barbell eyes for my trout streamers and I'm sure they would work great for pike.

http://www.fishwest.net/flyfishing/product/HDF70FSFIMA.html?gclid=CPC1n-ecq8QCFQpk7AodxCwADA

Those look great. They will get ripped up like any pike flies, but fish them until they are totally trashed. "Used" flies seem to be the best ones on pike.

I am still trapping but but hope to get there in April yet.

Bro I'm sure you're gonna have a busy spring, but definitely let me know if you wanna connect and chase some fish!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.