The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: game fish closed ?'s  (Read 980 times)

Offline dieselmann35

• IceShanty Rookie
game fish closed ?'s
« on: Mar 05, 2015, 09:15 AM »
Obviously game fish closed last Sunday March 1. Now, I've been catching big perch on my tip ups with medium shiners as well as lots of pike. My question is can is still fish in the same manner knowing I will be catching pike but technically I will be targeting the perch only now? I hope this makes sense.

Thank you for any help.

Offline LENNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: game fish closed ?'s
« Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2015, 11:15 AM »
It is one of those grey areas the DNR has, if the warden believes you are fishing for perch you are OK, if the warden believes you are targeting sport fish they will write a ticket. I would down size my minnows to try to avoid any issue. Good luck.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2015, 12:05 PM »
Personally, I don't run shiners after the season closes. I'll use large fatheads and jig more. My walleye rigs usually use #10 and #12 trebels, I change them out to #18's.

I'd be 100% up for allowing game fish until April 1, I see no reason why not.

Offline dieselmann35

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2015, 02:29 PM »
Where I've been fishing, the smaller the bait, the smaller the perch. What about just downsizing my hooks? Would that be  sufficient?

Offline husb0023

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Punching Holes in Wisconsin Since 1986
« Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2015, 07:25 AM »
I would not use tip-ups after the gamefish close.  That is just asking for trouble, specially with shiners on them.  Maybe get some jawjackers?

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #5 on: Mar 06, 2015, 08:59 AM »
I would not use tip-ups after the gamefish close.  That is just asking for trouble, specially with shiners on them.  Maybe get some jawjackers?

I run my plastic Frabills and leave the BD's at home.  There's no rules stating you can't use flags when game fish closes and I've caught a lot of nice Perch with them in April. Thing is, I've only been checked ice fishing one time in 20+ years up in Vilas.

Offline perch assasin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • jig em' up
« Reply #6 on: Mar 06, 2015, 09:10 AM »
fish how you want if your not keeping gamefish it should be no problem you cant do anything about bycatch right

Offline LENNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2015, 11:35 AM »
That advice may get someone a ticket, I talked with the warden at Gov Dodge state park, asking about Muskies, He stated to me, If you are using a # 3 spinner you can claim to be fishing for a big crappie, if you are throwing a musky killer bucktail I will give you a ticket for fishing during the closed season. Closed is closed, not catch and release. Best to just call the local DNR office and ask for advice since those are the guys that will be checking you.

Offline dieselmann35

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 06, 2015, 12:52 PM »
I called the nearest DNR office and they forwarded me to the local officer that would be patrolling this particular lake. He didn't answer so I left a voice mail, I will update when he returns my call.

Offline dieselmann35

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 06, 2015, 05:46 PM »
Just got off the phone with the warden. Very nice guy. He basically said that you have to prove to him that you are only fishing for panfish if he were to approach you, (i.e. smaller hooks, smaller bait and mono leader). Tip ups are legal to use for panfish.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.