The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: SUPPORT SMITTY! After all he is the ORIGINAL!!!  (Read 1611 times)

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it was easy they would call it catching
SUPPORT SMITTY! After all he is the ORIGINAL!!!
« on: Mar 04, 2015, 01:30 PM »
For those of you who don't check the General Post page you need to look at this link!  Someone is STEALING the SmittySled idea and NAME!!

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=314596.0
It is MY responsibility to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now. Make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day. They might show up if there is enough staff working.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
Re: SUPPORT SMITTY! After all he is the ORIGINAL!!!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2015, 02:37 PM »
I was following it... Scum bag!  I don't think it will go far (I hope), most anglers that know what a Smitty sled is are on this site or one like it and will know that they are a low down dirty snake for taking the name. That said, unless it is Copy Righted and "Our" Smitty is willing to sue, there is little that can be done.

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2015, 02:46 PM »
I was following it... Scum bag!  I don't think it will go far (I hope), most anglers that know what a Smitty sled is are on this site or one like it and will know that they are a low down dirty snake for taking the name. That said, unless it is Copy Righted and "Our" Smitty is willing to sue, there is little that can be done.

I believe he copyrighted the name Smitty Sled
It is MY responsibility to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now. Make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day. They might show up if there is enough staff working.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2015, 02:54 PM »
I think he only did it recently (from what I have seen), but copy right only works if you are willing/able to hire a lawyer and go through the "steps" to protect your copy righted material...

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2015, 02:59 PM »
Get him Smitty!!!!!!  its only right to teach people a lesson in ...........Thats my name dont wear it out!!!!!!!
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2015, 03:06 PM »
I think he only did it recently (from what I have seen), but copy right only works if you are willing/able to hire a lawyer and go through the "steps" to protect your copy righted material...

He could challenge it almost like a poor man's patent (drawing it and mailing it to yourself).  The shanty has the time and date of his first post which might help.   Also has lots of people who can back him up.

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #6 on: Mar 04, 2015, 06:20 PM »
If any law was broken, let the proper people handle the issue. If its not our business, issue, etc let those that are involved handle it. Time to get yourselves away from technology and go fishing!!! Worry about catching biggies, not policing the world. 

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 04, 2015, 07:58 PM »
If any law was broken, let the proper people handle the issue. If its not our business, issue, etc let those that are involved handle it. Time to get yourselves away from technology and go fishing!!! Worry about catching biggies, not policing the world.

Not about policing the world.  If you named your chisel that you dad made the MillBillyMan Chisel and had a copyright on the name would you be ok with someone making a chisel and calling it the MillBillyManPro chisel  because the name was well known and could boost sales for them?  Would you want people to call him out on it?  Chisels have been around forever so it's ok?   If he called it the Nugyn sled no one would care. 

Offline DRock

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 04, 2015, 08:21 PM »
None of that old stuff applies any more.

The US recently switched from a "first to invent" to a "first to file" system because of those tricks. The most he can do in this case is to force them to change the name, the idea is not patented and the person is free to do whatever they want.

That being said I think it is a dick move to do that, but there is a lot of bad people on the internet and when you put something out there like that you have to expect it to get stolen.

Source: Currently own two patents, I know the system and how it works.

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #9 on: Mar 04, 2015, 09:35 PM »
Not about policing the world.  If you named your chisel that you dad made the MillBillyMan Chisel and had a copyright on the name would you be ok with someone making a chisel and calling it the MillBillyManPro chisel  because the name was well known and could boost sales for them?  Would you want people to call him out on it?  Chisels have been around forever so it's ok?   If he called it the Nugyn sled no one would care.
like I said to you in a text message! You copied my lightweight chisel, and so can anyone else. I don't really care if it helps someone out. If you want to then make them and sell them, cool. People like me wouldn't buy your chisel. We would copy it and make it ourselves cheaper. If I ever decided to patent my dads design (if I could) and it was then copied and sold, I would do what I could by law. If I could only patent the name, same thing, I would do what I could by law. I don't disagree the name stealing is pathetic from a feckless person but that's not my concern, I'm sure the ones involved have it under control! PS thanks for the name idea for my new chisels, coming to a bait shop near you. Look for the Millbilly Pro Chisel,  slices through ice like warm butter!  "Patent pending"

Offline craiger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Swedish steel is for real
« Reply #10 on: Mar 04, 2015, 09:39 PM »
I'm not gonna get bent out of shape over it.  Do we know for sure that the smittysledpro guy "stole" the name from Smitty of IS fame?  Unless you're sure you better be careful about throwing around accusations.  Raising a fuss and messing with this guy isn't gonna help Smitty's case, if there is one.  Especially with some of the name calling etc. that's getting thrown around on this site.

Smitty is a pretty common term, just like blacksmithing used to be a common profession.  I don't see the two products as competing for market share.  If I remember right I read last week that smitty was leaning toward selling DIY plans, not an actual product.  This smittysledpro thing isn't even true to the original idea of the smitty sled.  Looks like you'd need a trailer just to get it to the lake. 

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Mar 04, 2015, 09:55 PM »
I think the first problem Smitty is going to have is the other guy is in Canada.  Yeah if he stole the name like you're accusing him of it's not fair, dirty pool even but I don't see any proof he did even though it seems obvious he did. 

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 05, 2015, 07:45 AM »

My job is done. And to all those who said "Stop crying" "Get over it" "Move on"..when people decide to just walk away, step down and do nothing there is a 100% certainty that nothing will happen. And if the Original Smitty ever does make stickers, I will proudly display one.
Thanks again Smitty. I know you're the original.

Just proves when we stand together we can accomplish anything.  If he thought that he didn't copy the name he would have NEVER changed it and told us to all pound sand.  To all those naysayers na na na na bo bo.

Offline iceking87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 05, 2015, 12:37 PM »
This story is funny, the guy is backtracking a bit because I think he realizes iceshanty holds most of his prospective customers. But really, who in their right mind would pay that kind of money? I don't think its a viable product.
Tips up

Offline teamtrout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 05, 2015, 02:51 PM »
Why do things like this always blow up on the forum?! Whatever... some people may have been a bit "over-enthusiastic" about getting on this new sled guys case, but I don't think anything offensive was ever said.

I'll refrain from commenting on what that PM said. Keep private messages private. This might sound hypocritical because I'm commenting on it, but nobody really wants/needs to see that PM.

Offline DRock

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 05, 2015, 03:08 PM »
Oh I don't have an issue keeping PM's private, as I will with the numerous people who sent me a message saying that they loved the post and people like him are the reason they do not post any more.

But send me a nasty PM and expect to have it put out there for all to see and laugh at, it's about transparency.

Don't dish it if you can't take it.

Offline teamtrout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 05, 2015, 03:15 PM »
No, I do agree that the PM was uncalled for. Should not have been sent to you in the first place. But I just think that this thread should begin to come to an end.

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #17 on: Mar 05, 2015, 03:52 PM »
And those were the "days of our shanty lives"  We have tons of ice in MARCH and people want to sit on here and bicker. Unreal is what I say. Get the hell out on the ice, catch some fish and share your experience with us. Enough with the drama. 

Offline teamtrout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 05, 2015, 04:08 PM »
And those were the "days of our shanty lives"  We have tons of ice in MARCH and people want to sit on here and bicker. Unreal is what I say. Get the hell out on the ice, catch some fish and share your experience with us. Enough with the drama.

I'm with ya MillBillyMan. Lock this thread up and hit the 20+ inches.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Mar 05, 2015, 04:51 PM »
I love fishing! 

Offline reid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Mar 05, 2015, 04:57 PM »
Mr.e is a black belt

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 05, 2015, 05:03 PM »
DRock I would have said it in here but don't wanna give BJ any grief.  I'm  some special kind of stupid huh. If you wanna say something stupid to me say it to my face.  I live in Worcester will meet you anywhere you want.

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #22 on: Mar 05, 2015, 05:26 PM »
DRock I would have said it in here but don't wanna give BJ any grief.  I'm  some special kind of stupid huh.  Ill be on Ripple Saturday if you wanna say it to my face.
there will be no fighting on my pond. Yes my pond lol its a peaceful fishing pond, leave the drama here. I don't care to see or here it while I'm catching biggies.

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 05, 2015, 05:28 PM »
Keith anything I say on here I would say to someone's face.  I don't hide behind a keyboard.

Offline craiger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Swedish steel is for real
« Reply #24 on: Mar 05, 2015, 05:32 PM »
there will be no fighting on my pond. Yes my pond lol its a peaceful fishing pond, leave the drama here. I don't care to see or here it while I'm catching biggies.

I hope to be doin some fightin'...

...fightin' monstahs through my 6" holes!!  :flex:

Offline teamtrout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Mar 05, 2015, 06:26 PM »
You guys are acting like 6th grade girls. Get over yourselves. Probably time to have this thread locked up.

And I don't blame you MillBilly... I like my ponds to be peaceful and quiet. No bickering over a fight that started for no reason at all on an online forum.

Offline BJ

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLAAAAGGGGG!!!
« Reply #26 on: Mar 05, 2015, 06:58 PM »
Just checked in and saw that this got out of hand. So thats about enough of this thread.
                                         BJ

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.