Author Topic: A mishap on mash saturday  (Read 1877 times)

Offline jss111678

• Team IceShanty Maniac
A mishap on mash saturday
« on: Mar 04, 2015, 06:54 AM »
I was out early saturday morning with my buddy dustin about 4 am at mash. we finished setting up and were in the hut trying to warm up, dam it was cold. Had my little buddy heater going and he had moved it to try to defrost our drinks a bit and it poofed and went out. I figured it was the safety because he had tipped it a little. after a few minutes I was lighting it again and a big fire ball came up in our face and the heater was on fire. Being I had just put a brand new 1 pound tank on it I did not want it to explode on us so I lifted the front of the shanty and chucked it as far away as I could. We got back from it about 150 feet or so to keep a distance as it continued to burn and we had no idea what would happen. It slowly released the gas in it and sounded like a jet engine.  thinking of writing the company in case it was a defect. anyone else have any issues like that with a heater. It was only 2 1/2 years old and not overworked at all.  We did catch a perch and lost something big at the hole on a 4 1/2-5 inch shiner. here are some pictures

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: A mishap on mash saturday
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2015, 07:17 AM »
That last photo has a chance in the Team CT photo contest.  ;D LOL  Glad you weren't hurt, I always keep an eye on the heater. I wish there was an alternative to having flammable gas or liquid in the shanty.

Offline BWB-ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2015, 08:37 AM »
Holy crap JSS!!!!
That is some scary stuff right there...just glad no one was hurt.
I would definetly send a letter along with the pics. I agree with eiderz, wish there were alternatives.
"If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago". Zane Grey

"The water you touch in a river is the last of that which has passed, and the first of that which is coming; thus it is with time". Leonardo DaVinci

Offline Getbent

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2015, 08:39 AM »
Maybe the threads were crossed causing it to leak?

Offline perch assasin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • jig em' up
« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2015, 08:45 AM »
had a similar problem either your propane tank was to cold or you got frozen condensation inside your heater

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2015, 08:48 AM »
Thinking about this some more made me remember a problem I had with a gas grill years ago. It was stored in a heated walkout basement, one day I brought it out to grill when it was really cold like last weekend. When I fired it up, the flames were enormous and wouldn't go down, luckily I was able to turn the gas off. After looking at it for a few minutes I realized the regulator froze in the open position, probably caused by condensation formed as a result of the move from warm inside to cold outside. If your heater was in the car with you prior to hitting the lake, that could be what happened. Or if you screwed on a new bottle and got a little bit of snow in there, that might cause it.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 04, 2015, 08:50 AM »
had a similar problem either your propane tank was to cold or you got frozen condensation inside your heater

Yup, posted while I was typing.

Offline jss111678

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 04, 2015, 09:54 AM »
maybe it was cold but it was running and fine for about 15-20 minutes before it was moved. Also the tank was on fine and no gas was leaking, we did not hear any either. not sure but it was scary

Offline Flagwatcher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 04, 2015, 11:33 AM »
We walked by you guys in the morning out to the point. Glad you guys are ok. That was quite a sight watching that thing go up in flames on the walk out towards you. Wow what a walk that ended up being. Seemed like nobody had ventured out where we were in weeks. Took us an hour to get out there. That was some deep snow where nobody had traveled. Ended the day with 4 smallies around 2 lbs. And a small brown. Again, glad nobody got hurt with your tank explosion. Maybe we'll see you out there again next year.

Offline jss111678

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 04, 2015, 11:37 AM »
flagwatcher good talking to you for a few. we missed a big fish when we were packing up. for some reason our feet were freezing and not having the heater after that was bad. we decided to pack it up. My right foot was frozen all the way home and felt weird after I took a shower too.

Offline Flagwatcher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 04, 2015, 06:52 PM »
I can imagine. I told my buddy shortly after we setup when I saw you guys were gone that I bet without the heater it wasn't much fun for you. It was insanely cold that morning. Not the type that the cold usually bothers me but it even took me awhile to get all my tips baited and in the water. Always get the baits in the water first but that morning the hut and heater went up after only the third tipup was in cause I had to warm my hands up. My beard was completely frozen after the walk out. Thanfully it warmed up out thereonce the sun came up.

Offline stabilicer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 04, 2015, 07:36 PM »
Thankfully you guys were'nt hurt. The outcome could have been much worse. I have a Mr. Buddy heater and always wondered if an incident like yours would happen.

Offline fishoninct

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fishon and often. Leave no trace.
« Reply #12 on: Mar 05, 2015, 04:17 AM »
That last photo has a chance in the Team CT photo contest.  ;D LOL  Glad you weren't hurt, I always keep an eye on the heater. I wish there was an alternative to having flammable gas or liquid in the shanty.
ther is an alternative.  Wood fire in a portable fire pit. Best grilled meat going as well as a source of heat.   We use one every weekend.
Just can't use it in a shanty.
If you can't play nice, get off the ice!

Offline jss111678

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 05, 2015, 06:54 AM »
I have the buddy heater also for the bigger hut I have. no issue with that yet, fingers crossed. the fire pit is good, but I do not want to pull the extra weight out for wood when we are walking and not using a machine to get out. It is a long walk at mash.

Offline missed again

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 05, 2015, 10:18 AM »
Good to hear that everything turned out OK and you didn't burn anything else down.  Myself and my luck probably would've been a different story.  At least it was only a 1 lb tank and not a 20!

Offline Otisthedog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 05, 2015, 11:19 AM »
I don't know how old the heater was but check out this CPSC link on a recalled heater (not the tank) that was issued back in 2005.
Glad to hear no one got hurt.

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2005/CPSC-DESA-Heating-Products-and-Scheu-Manufacturing-Co-Announce-Recall-of-Propane-Heaters-/

Offline jss111678

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 05, 2015, 11:45 AM »
heater is only about 2 2-1/2 years old I bought it new and have used it about 25 times or so. it still looked almost new and never had any issue with it. but I will check it out

Offline icechaser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Mar 07, 2015, 07:54 AM »
Sorry about your little buddy: but that pic. of it going up in flames is priceless! :o At least it was just a mishap:-I'd send a polite letter w/ that pic. to the buddy heater people+ they might just be nice enough to send you out a new one-

Offline jss111678

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Mar 09, 2015, 06:55 AM »
Thats what I am doing gonna send it this week and hope to get a new one for next year , may not need one this year any more.

Offline ctfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Mar 10, 2015, 10:21 AM »
The same thing happened to my friends heater like that last week in his shanty, luckily he flipped the shelter and got out fast enough.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.