The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Emeralds vs smelt question  (Read 2423 times)

Offline Sawyerjosh

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Emeralds vs smelt question
« on: Mar 03, 2015, 04:44 PM »
Headed up north in a couple weeks for splake and salmon. The lake has smelt. I think the emeralds are a little more hardy and since we don't have power for a bubbler just wondering if anyone has an opinion if emeralds will work just as well or should I go with smelt?  Hopefully I can hug up enough smelt when we get on the lake for most of our bait but I don't want to bank on it

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Emeralds vs smelt question
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2015, 04:48 PM »
Headed up north in a couple weeks for splake and salmon. The lake has smelt. I think the emeralds are a little more hardy and since we don't have power for a bubbler just wondering if anyone has an opinion if emeralds will work just as well or should I go with smelt?  Hopefully I can hug up enough smelt when we get on the lake for most of our bait but I don't want to bank on it

Smelts are pretty cheap right now.  I would go that route, bagged with O2 and buried in the snow bank in coolers, you won't have any problem keeping them. :tipup:

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2015, 04:51 PM »
What are the smelt prices?
______________________ ___

Its a lazy man that cant find his wife a second job

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2015, 04:54 PM »

I think I paid $6 last time I went north.

Offline jamison1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2015, 04:56 PM »
I know right?! I can bet they aren't $4/ dozen like the emeralds I can get for that price. and ive had really luck with emerlads this year in places that have smelt. IMO I would get emeralds... much easier to keep alive

Offline fishon--fishoff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • catchem when you can
« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2015, 05:12 PM »
You know what I'm going to say just like I always have said, which was installed in my memory bank by a great fishermen " If you want to increase your odds you need to match the hatch" meaning use what's in the lake for your bait.. But I have heard of browns being caught with 20lb mono with a size 2 hook and enough weight to drown a cat, so what do I know..  ;)

Offline rude the dude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike, ruining the state of Me., one pond at a time
« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2015, 05:48 PM »
i just paid 8 a few min. Ago @)
How they biten

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #7 on: Mar 03, 2015, 05:53 PM »
Jack traps had em this morning for $8 a dozen. Emeralds were $6.

Offline mussburger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 03, 2015, 07:28 PM »
Back in the day when I thought ice fishing was my job, if we couldn't get smelt, we would get emeralds. Their the closest to matching smelt & 100x hardier for sure. Get a share of each . Emeralds could be your stand-by bait. $8, me thinks, is statewide for March as usual. Good luck

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2015, 07:40 PM »
I'd take up Emeralds  and get a doz. of smelts use emeralds with a fresh piece of cut smelt to tip the hook . They will take the bait thinking they are getting Smelts ,That way a doz smelts go a long way.

Offline PerchPro113

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's Fishing, Not catching.
« Reply #10 on: Mar 03, 2015, 08:13 PM »
Smelts are 6:00 a dz where I get mine.

Offline SPE2007SC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 03, 2015, 08:36 PM »
Not sure about what works best in that lake but good smelts packed in O2 will stay alive a long time. We buy bait on a weds or thurs on our trips up north and still have live smelts Sunday when we leave. 3dozen per bag fits in a bait bucket pretty good.

Offline lobsterman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • quit crying and start fishing.
« Reply #12 on: Mar 04, 2015, 05:27 AM »
if anyone knows where to get emeralds in york / cumberland county send me a pm thanks

Offline Sawyerjosh

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 04, 2015, 05:52 AM »
Thanks all. Cost doesn't really matter, we only need a few dozen, I was worried about keeping the smelt alive. I'll prob bring both just in case. I can usually jig up enough for bait if I find em. I don't want to get on the ice with just enough to start and then not find any to jig up

Offline Wolley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 04, 2015, 11:12 AM »
I get 2 dozen smelt and 2 dozen shiners in one bag with oxygen when i go north for a long weekend. Usually 2 people fishing for a day and a half. i do not use any bubbler. i never get any die off as long as you keep them from freezing solid. Just burying them in snow  over night will keep that from happening.

Offline hardwaterslaughter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 04, 2015, 11:34 AM »
Lobsterman, sent you a pm.

Offline sbwright74

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 05, 2015, 09:44 AM »
Anyone know of a place in Southern Maine (Buxton area) that bags and O2's bait?  Have a buddy down there that is looking.  Thanks for your help!

Offline MEhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 05, 2015, 09:46 AM »
I'd take up Emeralds  and get a doz. of smelts use emeralds with a fresh piece of cut smelt to tip the hook . They will take the bait thinking they are getting Smelts ,That way a doz smelts go a long way.

I've asked this question before, why do fish go after one bait over another, is it smell/scent or profile?
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did so. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Mar 05, 2015, 09:53 AM »
I've asked this question before, why do fish go after one bait over another, is it smell/scent or profile?

My guess is profile and preference
Like making a decision on Lunch Mickey D's or Subway

Offline MEhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 05, 2015, 09:57 AM »
My guess is profile and preference
Like making a decision on Lunch Mickey D's or Subway

Yeah just always wondered what is it that differentiates the preference for them. Is it all profile or what? Especially down close to the bottom or in low light conditions. That's why I always leaned more towards scent. For salmon up top I could see where profile was a big factor. Liveliness, death twitch? What causes a fish to strike one bait over another! Wish I knew.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did so. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #20 on: Mar 05, 2015, 10:48 AM »

Sebago Bait !!!

Offline Wolley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Mar 05, 2015, 11:51 AM »
Another thing people should be wondering about if they are in fact purchacing real Emerald shiners or they are a getting a bait fish that is being mistakenly called an "emerald shiner". It could be just a mental game. You think you have real Emerald shiners, but you actually have some lame regular old shiner. you may catch more fish on your "emerald shiners" since you have more confidence in your presentation. , mental, mental.

So who actually has the real Emerald Shiner, Dags????

Offline Sawyerjosh

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Mar 05, 2015, 12:51 PM »
Jack traps has em

Offline Dags Bait Maine

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 06, 2015, 04:48 AM »
...nobody. Emerald shiners have yet to be found in Maine.

-Dylan
Marcel & Dylan Larose
559 minot ave (207) 783-0388

Offline jrelaxin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • justrelaxin
« Reply #24 on: Mar 06, 2015, 06:16 AM »
I figure its like taking out a blonde or a brunette.............. ..one is unpredictable while the other can weather any storm............. ;)
Donuts !!!!!       

Dave

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Mar 06, 2015, 06:31 AM »

I really believe it's what they are use to seeing and feeding on. If they're use to seeing lots of smelts, then smelts are the way to go. That doesn't mean that they wouldn't take an emerald shiner. They are opportunists just like most fish and animals are in the wild.

Also, it's been mentioned on here that there are no emerald shiners in Maine. What the bait shops are currently calling "emerald shiners" are actually "eastern silvery minnows". I don't care what they call them, they are a very close second to using smelts in my book.

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #26 on: Mar 06, 2015, 06:38 AM »
http://www.pressherald.com/2011/12/10/even-bait-fish-ignite-the-thrill-of-the-chase_2011-12-11/

That's a good article.   How true about bait fishermen. A close friend makes it his living & other than one night smelt trip with him, he never mentions where he goes.
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have Trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today & I Will Trust Tomorrow,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Mar 06, 2015, 06:39 AM »
Here is my take - two guys fishing exact same area, same depths, same bait, etc.  One guy checks his traps religiously, moving bait up and down in the process, replaces as necessary.  The other guy only looks at the flags that pop.  I believe the guy that checks his traps out fishes the other guy 80 percent of the time.  It's action / movement. :tipup:

Offline saltyshores

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Mar 06, 2015, 07:41 AM »
...nobody. Emerald shiners have yet to be found in Maine.

-Dylan

Dave Boucher, who is the IFW Fisheries Mgt Supervisor in the Augusta office, told me this winter that most of what has been called emerald shiners in Maine, are actually Eastern Silvery Minnow.

Here's some pictures of Eastern Silvery Minnow:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/48031086@N05/14206962298/

http://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/FactSheet.aspx?speciesID=546

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/delriver/artdel_sp_east_silvery_minnow.pdf

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Fishing/Fish_species/fish_conservation_profiles/silvery_minnow.php

Offline cap

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #29 on: Mar 06, 2015, 08:24 AM »
So all that hoopla about Notropis a few years back was all just a bunch of bull?

The fish were not Notropis but actually Hybognathus?

Whatever.....(shaking head in dismay).....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.