The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Power auger suggestions?  (Read 4850 times)

Offline paul23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • AKA Bauls25 on mff
Re: Power auger suggestions?
« Reply #30 on: Mar 05, 2015, 09:29 AM »
Another honda lite vote here.  Just talked my bud into one also.

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #31 on: Mar 05, 2015, 09:48 AM »
i use elec drill on my hand auger some times most times just drill by hand
older now  and i donot drill as many
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline jobek75

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Mar 06, 2015, 05:28 AM »
Just bought the Ion. What a machine!

Offline allthumbs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Mar 06, 2015, 05:32 AM »
Ion !!
Integrity is doing the right thing even when no one is watching

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Mar 06, 2015, 05:48 AM »
Ive got a 2014 Jiffy Pro 4 10" propane bought new in December I will sell for $395 :tipup:

If i could do it all over again.. I woild get the Strikemaster Honda 10"

Offline noflagstoday

• IceShanty Rookie
  • im just here for the fun of it!!!
« Reply #35 on: Mar 06, 2015, 06:08 PM »
ion!!!

Offline Bug-Eye-Brew

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Catch and Release into the Grease
« Reply #36 on: Mar 06, 2015, 08:41 PM »

Its simple and it works
Age is an issue of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter ... Mark Twain

Offline steelheadman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Mar 06, 2015, 08:57 PM »
Ion without a doubt you never have to worry about it not starting and you get 1000 inches of ice on a single charge with the 6 inch auger I fished all over yesterday and punched 20+ holes in 2 feet of ice with no problem with my buddy's going to buy one for next year

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Mar 07, 2015, 08:19 AM »
How's this for a good price:  Two slightly used 45 year old Jiffy arm breakers.  FREE.  In my garage.  One doesn't have much use.  You could probably put together a hard working auger between the two of them for essentially no cost!

Offline HardWater518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Mar 07, 2015, 10:37 AM »
They will need a replacement battery someday. There 160.00 now when you need one it will be more. I just didn't feel like spending that much for a battery.

I am not saying you are wrong, but think about this... Fuel and oil in a gas auger. The occasional spark plug. The god awful smell of gas on everything you own. The cold blooded pain in the a$$ in the morning. The carburetor rebuild kit its going to need every few years... I used to run gas augers. Had a jiffy 10" and a eskimo 8". They did work good. But now that i have the ION i wouldnt go back. No mess, and you hit the switch and it goes.  Very reliable, no smell, low maintenance... Its so simple to change a battery haha...

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Mar 07, 2015, 10:47 PM »
No smell of gas,5 tanks of propane this year= 15.00, over 600 holes plus 1quart of mobile one synthetic oil= 5 years of oil.  I guess recharging your battery is free, my Jiffy pro 4 is a bad ice hungry machine eats 15 inches in 5 seconds. Let's face it there all good when there running. I like my propane you like your electric where both happy.

Offline firstcast 2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Mar 08, 2015, 05:31 PM »
Had my buddy use my ion on a few holes today after his old jiffy was being temperamental he was impressed said I'm selling this gas and buying electric

Offline cbyzerman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Mar 08, 2015, 05:41 PM »
ION  is the best and it is not even close..............

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Mar 08, 2015, 05:43 PM »
No smell of gas,5 tanks of propane this year= 15.00, over 600 holes plus 1quart of mobile one synthetic oil= 5 years of oil.  I guess recharging your battery is free, my Jiffy pro 4 is a bad ice hungry machine eats 15 inches in 5 seconds. Let's face it there all good when there running. I like my propane you like your electric where both happy.
thanks for the great info. my wife bought me the jiffy pro lite 8 inch propane auger as a christmas present but havent used it yet. been using my jiffy stx gas which is very reliable and always starts no matter how cold. sometime it takes 3 pulls to start but thats about it. had it 4 years now and bought it used. next winter i do intend on using my new propane especially for my walleye trips. its 8 lbs lighter than my jiffy stx. glad you like yours .

Offline deadlake

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Mar 09, 2015, 06:26 PM »
be careful on the propane auger, my friend was drilling froze wide open recoil handle got whipping hit him right in the eye, funny as ****. Took awhile to stop it after that wouldn't start. His freezes up a lot , I always let him use my gas one. We cut lots of holes on champlain ,if it's cold  zero leave the propane home.also if you don't lay it down on the ice right four stroke oil comes out of a breather hole onto auger and contaminates it, it's a Jiffy four stroke

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Mar 09, 2015, 07:14 PM »
the same goes for my jiffy stx gas you have to put it down right with the spark plug up. so the propane is the same. they make insulators for the 1 lb tanks they help i guess i have heard on the reviews they freeze up to but mostly below zero weather. keep the tanks warm is the trick from what i have been reading. thanks for the info.

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Mar 11, 2015, 02:52 PM »
Buy once, cry once, get a tanaka, this way you will only pay once, 7 year consumer warranty
Ladywood, Manitoba, Canada

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.