The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Power auger suggestions?  (Read 4851 times)

Offline pmac3

• Team IceShanty Addict
Power auger suggestions?
« on: Mar 03, 2015, 04:25 PM »
So.. The old behemoth 10" gas auger is no longer reliable. Been cutting holes by hand through over 2' of ice, reducing mobility. I'm looking for a "good quality for the price" gas auger, 8". Any suggestions?
Pete

Offline ice4066

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Power auger suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2015, 04:38 PM »
i have a jiffy pro 4 propane ,love it only set back is you dont want to leave tank on it when its way bellow zero ,but i just keep engine in my truck or car on way to lake and its fine comes with a quick remove auger 1 slip pin so i can set engine in vehicle with no smell of gas ! no smell on gloves or hands , they do make it in 2 stroke also
if you like better,but i love the 4 stroke propane i got about a season out of 1 tank of propane ,have had it for 3 years now , any more questions about it pm me im out alot dont know where your at but maybe you can check it out on ice
good luck   

Offline darkdoug

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • What? ANOTHER wind flag? @!*/ !
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2015, 04:52 PM »
I'm still happy with the electric 50 volt strikemaster I bought this past fall, so far, so good on the battery, and it charges quick. I still haven't gotten the battery down below 50 percent on the ice, and have prolly gotten to within the 30 hole range a couple times........... You will have to ask me in a couple years from now to see if the pricey battery has lived up to expectations though.......I notice strikemaster dealers online ( REEDS) are selling it 50 bucks cheaper than I paid early season though.  ???

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2015, 04:53 PM »
I  got the  strike master  4 cycle  Honda ... have  never had to pull it  more then twice  even at 10 below .....I really love  it

Offline Celt6

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2015, 04:56 PM »
+ 1, definitely love my Pro4, 3 Years also.

i have a jiffy pro 4 propane ,love it only set back is you dont want to leave tank on it when its way bellow zero ,but i just keep engine in my truck or car on way to lake and its fine comes with a quick remove auger 1 slip pin so i can set engine in vehicle with no smell of gas ! no smell on gloves or hands , they do make it in 2 stroke also
if you like better,but i love the 4 stroke propane i got about a season out of 1 tank of propane ,have had it for 3 years now , any more questions about it pm me im out alot dont know where your at but maybe you can check it out on ice
good luck

Offline RPudney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2015, 05:11 PM »
So.. The old behemoth 10" gas auger is no longer reliable. Been cutting holes by hand through over 2' of ice, reducing mobility. I'm looking for a "good quality for the price" gas auger, 8". Any suggestions?
I have owned an 8 inch NILS with the Tanaka gas power head for 7 years now, haven't had any issues at all
in that time, always runs great, always starts no matter how cold & it's got the length for later season 30 plus inches of ice.  couldn't say enough about this auger, I highly recommend it!!!  Also I have not had to change the blade head on it either, still on the original.

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2015, 06:07 PM »
i have a jiffy stx gas power auger that i bought from a freind and really like it with no problems at all. so i was reading the reviews on the jiffy propane and especially the jiffy pro lite propane so i was telling the wife about it being 8lbs lighter so she bought it for me for christmas. both are 8 inch augers. i now have to jiffys and l like both of them. the propane is cleaner and cuts very well. have had no problems at all. now is a good time to buy with all of the year end clearance sales. i have seen them lately below $400. my wife paid $449 for my jiffy pro lite propane in december.

Offline cooper2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 03, 2015, 06:17 PM »
Love the strike aster honda 4 cycle-reliable and quiet!!

Offline perchslappinmy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 03, 2015, 06:28 PM »
I have owned an 8 inch NILS with the Tanaka gas power head for 7 years now, haven't had any issues at all
in that time, always runs great, always starts no matter how cold & it's got the length for later season 30 plus inches of ice.  couldn't say enough about this auger, I highly recommend it!!!  Also I have not had to change the blade head on it either, still on the original.
X2...on my second year with mine and couldn't be happier. First power auger I've owned after a lot of years of drilling by hand. Very light, very fast, quiet and I can't believe how little gas it uses. Last year I'd bring an extra jug of gas thinking I may need it. I've come to realize one tank of gas would probably last 6 or 8 trips and I'm a perch guy. 5 seconds to cut  a hole on Lake George this weekend. A little pricey but I have a feeling this thing will last forever. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Offline Gary Minckler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2015, 06:29 PM »
Love my Strikemaster...light and reliable.
Work is for people who don't fish!

Offline basshunter12748

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 03, 2015, 06:47 PM »
I was able to get a reliable used strikemaster for just 100 bucks on craiglist.  Always worth checking out sometimes good deals on there

Offline 04toyota79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 03, 2015, 07:51 PM »
I purchased an Eskimo hc40 in November. I've drilled at least 100-150holes so far with no trouble whatsoever. Starts with 1-3 pulls everytime. Couldn't be happier.

Offline Loso015

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 03, 2015, 09:46 PM »
Eskimo hc40 comes tomorrow.  I went with the 10 inch but they make 8. Heard great things plus best customer service.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 03, 2015, 09:58 PM »
Jiffy pro 4 propane. I cut tons of holes searching for Panfish. I'm on my 4 th tank of propane this year. I get over 100 holes per tank. Starts on first or second pull and have had no trouble in the cold weather.

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 04, 2015, 03:22 AM »
Another vote for the strikemaster Honda lite.
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline walleyemagic

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • () Eyes There out there somewhere()Team NY
« Reply #15 on: Mar 04, 2015, 05:14 AM »
Nils with Tanaka power head. Can't compare weight speed and blade. Three season . Still cuts like first day   sips gas. Worth every dolla .

Offline Hess

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 04, 2015, 09:46 AM »
Bought a Jiffy Pro Lite Propane 8" at the beginning of the season and love it -- just replaced the first tank 2 weekends ago...!!

Offline lakerman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 04, 2015, 11:44 AM »
keep all of them, i will stick with my ION electric, never going back to gas or propane.

Offline Zeker259

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 04, 2015, 11:50 AM »
keep all of them, i will stick with my ION electric, never going back to gas or propane.

X2

:thumbsup: :icefish:
Fishy, Fishy down the hole. Please come here and bend my pole. I jig and jig you take my hook and then I take you home to cook.

Offline Reel Magic ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Mar 04, 2015, 11:50 AM »
2X  the ion

Offline run320083

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 04, 2015, 12:35 PM »
I recently got the newest Ice Gator and i am extremely impressed. Thing is scary powerful and fast did not slow down after 50 plus holes last time i used it.

Offline throughtheroof

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Mar 04, 2015, 02:42 PM »
Yes, and YES - go electric- you will NOT look back :)

Offline firstcast 2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 04, 2015, 05:54 PM »
Ion works great 2 years cuts great

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 04, 2015, 08:33 PM »
They will need a replacement battery someday. There 160.00 now when you need one it will be more. I just didn't feel like spending that much for a battery.

Offline 96snake719

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Mar 04, 2015, 09:48 PM »
Jiffy pro 4 and never look back! Best thing I have ever bought.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Mar 04, 2015, 09:56 PM »
Eskimo Mako, decent prices, reasonable weight, and as long as you don't beat the crap out of it it will last a long time. 

Offline tafts ta

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Professional Ice Guide, Tournament Angler, TV Host
« Reply #26 on: Mar 05, 2015, 05:03 AM »
Great auger for the money...
Polar Fire 52cc 8" or 10"  Retail under $300 usually. I have had mine for three seasons now and they cut great! Plus the little decompression switch makes it start first or second pull every time no matter how cold.
Host of TV's Guiding Ice
Pro-Staff HT ENTERPRISES, Pro Staff POLAR FIRE, Pro Staff VEXILAR, Pro Staff OTTER OUTDOORS, Pro Staff PK LURES, Pro Staff DEEP FREEZE, Pro Staff Bunker Up Fishin
Pro Staff JAW JACKERS
New England's Only Authorized Representative for SnoBear Vehicles!

Offline Loso015

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Mar 05, 2015, 05:57 AM »
The eskimo hc40 looks nice. Started in 5 pulls for the first time. Cant wait to go pop some holes.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Mar 05, 2015, 07:03 AM »
buy a boat

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #29 on: Mar 05, 2015, 07:44 AM »
X2...on my second year with mine and couldn't be happier. First power auger I've owned after a lot of years of drilling by hand. Very light, very fast, quiet and I can't believe how little gas it uses. Last year I'd bring an extra jug of gas thinking I may need it. I've come to realize one tank of gas would probably last 6 or 8 trips and I'm a perch guy. 5 seconds to cut  a hole on Lake George this weekend. A little pricey but I have a feeling this thing will last forever. Good luck with whatever you choose.

x3 I own the same.  Love it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.