Author Topic: A new convert at wellington Lake  (Read 1047 times)

Offline Sawtooth

• Team IceShanty Addict
A new convert at wellington Lake
« on: Mar 02, 2015, 09:29 PM »
Taking the suggestion of Vex-Um, I drove down to Wellington Lake south of Bailey on Sunday to introduce a friend to ice fishing.   It is a private lake and it cost $5 for the car and $5 per person to get in, and it is artificials only.  I also think it is catch and release.  Beautiful lake nestled beneath mountains. We walked out onto the ice near the west end, and found out right away that the surface was semi-frozen slush, so that with most steps, we sunk down 5" to the real ice, so initially it was pretty frightening.

We opened up a couple of holes, and found that beneath the slush there was about 5" of ice.  We were told when we signed in that water was probably going to be let into the lake this week, which would ruin the ice.  So we got there just in time for a last hurrah.

After trial and error, we began catching a few fish - but only on a small white Swedish Pimple.  I didn't matter which of us was using that lure, that was the only one they hit (and of course, I only brought one).  My friend's very first ice fishing catch was a fat 19" Bow (pic below).  About an hour later, he caught another 19" twin.  The other two catches were somewhat smaller.     

There is no such thing as bad weather - only bad clothing.

Offline mtnhillbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: A new convert at wellington Lake
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2015, 12:05 AM »
Awesome way to get introduced... good job...

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2015, 06:09 PM »
Nice job finding some fish for your buddy's first trip!  That usually gets them "hooked" for life.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2015, 07:44 PM »
Paying for stockers to throw back!   Ive heard it all now- :P
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline yotepounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2015, 09:14 PM »
Nice job sawtooth I'm sure your buddy had a great time! Don't mind Slayer he's always running his hole about something.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2015, 08:26 AM »
Nice job sawtooth I'm sure your buddy had a great time! Don't mind Slayer he's always running his hole about something.

Yotyyoteyyotey-yote!

I simply spake the truth!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Mountain Maggot

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting for the next Ice Age
« Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 2015, 08:25 AM »
Heck...I can't even estimate money I've spent fishing in the mountains for a couple of stockers.  Catching a big one through the ice is good practice for your gear.  Using just lure also sharpens one's ability to use alternative methods.  I also don't recall fish at Wellington jumping out of the hole for my dangling lure.

;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.