Author Topic: What are some good gas augers?  (Read 3549 times)

Offline Kierran

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • theCTyankee.com
Re: What are some good gas augers?
« Reply #30 on: Mar 03, 2015, 01:22 PM »
Oh ya!  It's in a red can at home depot.  91 octane 50:1 no need to mix and more importantly no ethonol!  Pour it right in, doesn't smoke!  Plug has stayed really clean.

Interesting.  I will give it a shot for next season. Gotta finish the mix I already have.  I like the sound of no mixing or no smoke.  Thanks.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #31 on: Mar 03, 2015, 02:09 PM »
Interesting.  I will give it a shot for next season. Gotta finish the mix I already have.  I like the sound of no mixing or no smoke.  Thanks.

Anytime!  The nils eats it up! 

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Mar 03, 2015, 02:13 PM »
On a side note, the Nils is coming out to play next week. The Ion met it's match on Oneida with over 2' of ice in below zero temps. Nice thing about upstate NY is that there are numerous gas stations with E-free gas, I'm happy to mix my own for old smokey.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #33 on: Mar 03, 2015, 02:54 PM »
On a side note, the Nils is coming out to play next week. The Ion met it's match on Oneida with over 2' of ice in below zero temps. Nice thing about upstate NY is that there are numerous gas stations with E-free gas, I'm happy to mix my own for old smokey.

Where???  I know the current tune on my car would prefer non-E gas.  This winter blend gives me scary random miss fires sometimes.

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Work was made for people who can't fish, I'm retir
« Reply #34 on: Mar 03, 2015, 02:57 PM »
I have an old strikemaster 2 cycle ,runs great , with a home made adaptor to fit my 8" nils auger, Cuts like butter. Eiderz is right about the ethonol free gas, it works better as well as stays longer,It works better in lawn eq. also.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Mar 03, 2015, 03:14 PM »
Search "pure gas.org", it lists stations in almost every state. There are many in NY, you have to look close at the pump as you pull up. I have filled up with it not realizing I was pumping it until I was halfway done. There are a few in CT but it's mostly avgas or in five-gallon containers for $75.

Offline cticedog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Mar 03, 2015, 04:11 PM »
I have a Eskimo an it does the job.

Offline ATrexOnTheIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • WOMAN SEEKS LARGEMOUTH BASS
« Reply #37 on: Mar 04, 2015, 01:45 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback and for the answer to hauling it out in a sled. will do. I was hoping to do that but the manufacturer demo video said something about needing a snow mobile to get it on the ice, holy crow. so cool, I can drag it out in my sled. hoping to get one last chance at them on Winch this week then on to that darn Boating Class at Cabelas this Sat. thank god for the bison burgers! Lol!

Offline NewGuy123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Mar 04, 2015, 02:00 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback and for the answer to hauling it out in a sled. will do. I was hoping to do that but the manufacturer demo video said something about needing a snow mobile to get it on the ice, holy crow. so cool, I can drag it out in my sled. hoping to get one last chance at them on Winch this week then on to that darn Boating Class at Cabelas this Sat. thank god for the bison burgers! Lol!
get to the store  try picking some up  find what you like the feel of
hauling it on the sled shouldnt be a problem, just find a place  where it wont fall off and be sure to keep guards on it  to avoid accidents

Offline ATrexOnTheIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Mar 04, 2015, 02:30 PM »
get to the store  try picking some up  find what you like the feel of
hauling it on the sled shouldnt be a problem, just find a place  where it wont fall off and be sure to keep guards on it  to avoid accidents

Hey Farmington New Guy, your close, im one town over. Thanks for the help. I was thinking about the gas when the thing is on is side. im sure itll be ok.  at Cabelas, ill try some out. I hope its better than my 28" snow blower!

Offline NewGuy123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Mar 04, 2015, 02:46 PM »
Hey Farmington New Guy, your close, im one town over. Thanks for the help. I was thinking about the gas when the thing is on is side. im sure itll be ok.  at Cabelas, ill try some out. I hope its better than my 28" snow blower!
Yeah  ive noticed that,  i hadnt really considered the issue with the gass on its side   but it has to be on its side in the back of the car or truck anyways on the drive there,
most guys i see with them leave them on their side out on the ice  but i suppose it wouldnt hurt  to drill a bit down into the ice so it stands upright. i guess you should expect a bit of leaking gas if left on its side.
with some augers you're also able to remove the shaft   and transport it that way but once again i havent seen anyone do that

Offline weneric

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Mar 04, 2015, 02:48 PM »
my old jiffy doesnt leak when its on its side in the sled, or in my van.
wishing i was still young

Offline weneric

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Mar 04, 2015, 04:14 PM »
i have a 10 ft. jon boat, 6 hp motor. do i need a boat class? how much?

Offline bob48

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Mar 04, 2015, 05:26 PM »
Gas augers are  nice but recently bought a clam drill plate,I have a finbor 6 inch auger on it and I'm using a rigid 18v hammer drill with 4.o batteries it will drill thru 16 inches of ice in seconds, and I could drill about 40 holes on one battery depending on ice thickness of coarse, don't think I'll use my gas auger much anymore.

Offline lure loon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Mar 04, 2015, 05:44 PM »
If i had to drill one hole threw 3 ft of ice I would choose a jiffy , [ only because I have had years of experience with one  } If  I had to drill 50 holes threw 20 inches of ice i would go with the cordless drill set up ,  which there are many different versions or brand name choices . BEST OF LUCK .

Offline ATrexOnTheIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Mar 05, 2015, 12:12 PM »
Just a note...you won't be pleased about the current selection of gas augers at cabelas...and that 8hr boat class nearly caused me to take my own life, so enjoy that!  No bison burger or any other land meats would convince me to do that again.

Man, that doesnt sound good. Did you find it easy? I know they say you need an 80% to pass the test or its a redo. For the member who asked how much, it was $60 per person for the class and then another $50 I think they said for the actual lifetime license. im not too sure though on the $50, they said they'd say more at the class.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Mar 05, 2015, 02:30 PM »

I question how much the "safe boating" program results in safe(r) boating, and view the current program largely as another money grab cloaked in feel good education.  Unfortunately there's no substitute for experience on the water which no classroom will ever provide.

No doubt there are armies of knuckleheads, googans and well-meaning newbies on the water, if safe boating education is the objective DEEP should offer an educational video on their website. Film and post a safe boating lecture for everyone to review, not just that boring boaters guide. Let the newbies learn at their own pace, bring them into the classroom for the test if you must. Heck, even an experienced old coot or two might watch it and learn something.

Offline ATrexOnTheIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Mar 05, 2015, 02:54 PM »

I question how much the "safe boating" program results in safe(r) boating, and view the current program largely as another money grab cloaked in feel good education.  Unfortunately there's no substitute for experience on the water which no classroom will ever provide.

No doubt there are armies of knuckleheads, googans and well-meaning newbies on the water, if safe boating education is the objective DEEP should offer an educational video on their website. Film and post a safe boating lecture for everyone to review, not just that boring boaters guide. Let the newbies learn at their own pace, bring them into the classroom for the test if you must. Heck, even an experienced old coot or two might watch it and learn something.

You make a good point, it does seem like another excuse to get some $$$. I remember last year hearing about 2 guys heading off into the Sound with a 12 pack and ended up dead. We seem to get a few of those every summer so maybe the State wants to get everyone "schooled up" so that type of stuff stops. Getting $$ happens to be the icing on the cake. I feel bad for all the "old timer" boaters ( like my dad) who had their boat and motor set ups for years and years and now they have to haul in for class. im sure they don't get grandfather'd in.

Offline weneric

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Mar 05, 2015, 03:28 PM »
when did this stupid law get passed. been operating boats (including ski boats) for 50 years now.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Mar 05, 2015, 04:06 PM »
The boater education law was passed about 25 years ago. When the law was first passed there was a grace period of a few months to get grandfathered. Always had my card, never been asked for it.

Offline weneric

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Mar 05, 2015, 04:11 PM »
just moved back from florida less than two years ago. left ct. in 1992.

Offline weneric

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Mar 05, 2015, 04:39 PM »
ill take the stupid course. need to learn how not to run over anybody with my enormous 10 ft. jon boat.

Offline PerchFace

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Mar 05, 2015, 04:59 PM »
Just a note...you won't be pleased about the current selection of gas augers at cabelas...and that 8hr boat class nearly caused me to take my own life, so enjoy that!  No bison burger or any other land meats would convince me to do that again.
I feel your pain. I just did an osha 10 hour course online. My brain still hurts from all the stupidity
Gunna freak fish out through the ice this year

Offline weneric

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Mar 05, 2015, 07:05 PM »
thanks for the encouraging words. cant wait to go . glad its not for free. wouldnt feel right not paying for such an enlightening course.

Offline Kierran

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • theCTyankee.com
« Reply #54 on: Jan 19, 2016, 02:55 PM »
Oh ya!  It's in a red can at home depot.  91 octane 50:1 no need to mix and more importantly no ethonol!  Pour it right in, doesn't smoke!  Plug has stayed really clean.

Wanted to revive this old thread with a quick story that goes to show how useful this website can be. When I was getting my Tanaka ready for this season, I ran a search in my phone for old emails to jog my memory of what I have been using for a gas/oil mix ratio the last few years. It turns out I had emailed myself a link to this thread last March to remind myself to try something new for the next season. I left the gas can and Amsoil at home and went to Lowe's for a can of Trufuel 50:1 premix. Tried it out for the first this weekend. My Nils started on the first pull and ran like a dream. Granted it's only one outing, but it was burning clean with no smoke. Couple that with the fact I don't have to deal with mixing gas and I'm sold. Thanks for the tip.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #55 on: Jan 19, 2016, 05:13 PM »
Wanted to revive this old thread with a quick story that goes to show how useful this website can be. When I was getting my Tanaka ready for this season, I ran a search in my phone for old emails to jog my memory of what I have been using for a gas/oil mix ratio the last few years. It turns out I had emailed myself a link to this thread last March to remind myself to try something new for the next season. I left the gas can and Amsoil at home and went to Lowe's for a can of Trufuel 50:1 premix. Tried it out for the first this weekend. My Nils started on the first pull and ran like a dream. Granted it's only one outing, but it was burning clean with no smoke. Couple that with the fact I don't have to deal with mixing gas and I'm sold. Thanks for the tip.

Glad I could help (All I did was pass on info I learned here).  I left my tank full all off season and it fired up first few pulls! 

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #56 on: Jan 19, 2016, 09:20 PM »
The new Strikemaster actually recommends leaving the tank full and starting it once a month or so. Read somewhere about the seal in the tank drying out and shrinking causing a leak.  I tried the Husqvarna stuff and I think I like that better than the true fuel. Only in 50 to 1 though.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.