Author Topic: What are some good gas augers?  (Read 3551 times)

Offline ATrexOnTheIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • WOMAN SEEKS LARGEMOUTH BASS
What are some good gas augers?
« on: Mar 02, 2015, 04:39 PM »
I would be happy to get some suggestions on a good quality gas auger. I have a hand auger which I felt would keep me fit and warm on the ice but after the last two weeks on Winchester drillin 20 holes through 24" of ice, I've had it! Not to mention I ripped my back because of it! I'm heading there again at the end of this week and need the upgrade. Thanks 

Offline NewGuy123

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: What are some good gas augers?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2015, 04:41 PM »
Looking for the same  preferably something i can put a smaller diamiter cutter on
going to spend some time looking into maybe converting my hand auger  to an electric drill  just to punch a few holes

Offline weneric

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2015, 04:43 PM »
look for a used jiffy. cant kill them. bought one two falls ago on craigslist for $75.00. easily burned through 3 ft. ice for 6 men on long lake in maine.
wishing i was still young

Offline 4ssss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2015, 04:47 PM »
Last time I was in the pawn shop in Bristol they had a Jiffy model 30 I think. Those things are bulletproof.  I use a 4 stroke Strikemaster  and I'm real happy with it.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2015, 04:53 PM »
Lots of suggestions in the equipment section.  At the end of the day it depends on your budget and style of fishing. More importantly while reading everyone's opinions will be entertaining only hands on experience will help you pick the right one.  If you know people with power augers I recommend trying them out to see what you like. That being said I used a nils with the tanaka powerhead, guiding last year and drilled roughly 10 holes per person 24 people a day, sat and sunday for three months, no issues at all using trufuel.  I liked it so much I bought it for my own use. 

Offline weneric

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2015, 04:56 PM »
not familiar with the auger you have, but that is one great auger. never put my jiffy to work like that.
wishing i was still young

Offline fishfighter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 02, 2015, 05:37 PM »
They're all good, stick with one of the better known brands, run ethanol free gas, drain it at the end of the season, then run it until it's dry.
Mark it 8 dude

Offline rosie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2015, 05:43 PM »
I got a jiffy legend 8 inch. Runs perfect never change a spark plug in 4 years, but going on  62 years old it gets heavy dragging it hole to hole. that's the only negativity about I hope it helps. I use my hand auger mostly but with amount of ice we have no choice.

Offline LargeFry

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2015, 06:34 PM »
I'll second the Nils! They offer them in 4.5", 6", 8" and now 10". The Tanaka power head is a beast!! Light, quiet and hungry for ice.  I drill 8" all day no problem. I do a lot of jigging so a quick trip might be 30+ holes, while fishing all day can go 100+ holes. The bonus is you can buy the hand augers and switch them out with one bolt and change up sizes. I've always had 8", but would love to throw the 6" on there and watch it fly.

Here's a clip that show's how fast they are www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnYbMNGd050

Offline Poco+loco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 02, 2015, 06:38 PM »
Ajiffy or strikemaster are good. I have a strikemaster I've owned and used for 22 years now.

Offline shotty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2015, 07:15 PM »
I have an Eskimo 8" I mostly use it when I fish in NH when ice gets up and over 2 feet plus it blast right through like nothing I always use tru fuel in it and never have had any issues usually starts first or second pull.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #11 on: Mar 02, 2015, 07:17 PM »
I've had a strikemaster lazer mag express 8 inch auger for 6 years now. Light weight, easy to start, and it cuts really well through ice. No problems with it.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline stabilicer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 02, 2015, 07:23 PM »
After my newly purchased 8 " nils hand auger quit drilling after only 13 holes, I returned the fragile auger and purchased a Jiffy 8" propane 4 stroke auger. One pull start, its much quieter than a 2 stroke and I can drill well over 100 holes on a mere 1 lb propane canister.
It's been flawless so far after 2 seasons and my friends 10 " propane after 5 years has had no issues.
Goodluck with your purchase!

Offline kivva king

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 02, 2015, 07:29 PM »
Simple!!!!! Jiffy weighs 32-35lbs.     Nils weighs 21lbs or less. If your not a young Viking, there's your answer!!  KK

Offline rosie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 02, 2015, 07:34 PM »
KK that's the right answer.

Offline pilzner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 02, 2015, 07:41 PM »
I have had a jiffy 30 for years hasn't let me down besides there's nothing like the smell of 2 stoke first thing in the morning

Offline bucks-n-ducks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 02, 2015, 08:21 PM »
Jiffy for me. Never used a NILS but heard good things

Offline ATrexOnTheIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • WOMAN SEEKS LARGEMOUTH BASS
« Reply #17 on: Mar 02, 2015, 08:39 PM »
Thanks for the help. It sounds like Nils or strikemaster. As a female, (although I am fairly strong) I would think the lighter, the better. I watched both models demo vid's and they seem great. How do you guys get it on the ice? Can I haul it out in my sled?

Offline NewGuy123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 02, 2015, 08:47 PM »
Thanks for the help. It sounds like Nils or strikemaster. As a female, (although I am fairly strong) I would think the lighter, the better. I watched both models demo vid's and they seem great. How do you guys get it on the ice? Can I haul it out in my sled?
most folks  i see just toss it ontop of the sled they have and  pull it off when they go to drill holes

Offline Pepe Goody

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Mar 03, 2015, 05:01 AM »
I also run a strike master 4 stroke and have never had any issues, always starts on second pull no matter how cold and cuts hole with ease.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Mar 03, 2015, 05:35 AM »
After my newly purchased 8 " nils hand auger quit drilling after only 13 holes, I returned the fragile auger and purchased a Jiffy 8" propane 4 stroke auger. One pull start, its much quieter than a 2 stroke and I can drill well over 100 holes on a mere 1 lb propane canister.
It's been flawless so far after 2 seasons and my friends 10 " propane after 5 years has had no issues.
Goodluck with your purchase!

Sorry to hear, I beat the crap out of mine, has thousands of holes drilled on it.  I do like the propane and almost bought one, glad I didnt the nils cuts so much faster (I raced my buddy's) and with this much ice I dont want to be cutting forever.  Especially on LG where I cut lots of holes looking for lakers. 

Tanaka says the head is good for 600hrs of operation.  When it fails I'll throw a ring on the piston and be good to go for another 600.  And yes it's nice knowing that as long as my handle is in the sled I'm set even if the power head died.

Offline Schug

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing
« Reply #21 on: Mar 03, 2015, 06:06 AM »
Eskimo all day Get the 8" 71cc

Offline Kierran

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • theCTyankee.com
« Reply #22 on: Mar 03, 2015, 09:34 AM »
I love my Nils 8" with Tanaka powerhead. They really shine with conditions like we have now (i.e. FEET of ice).

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Mar 03, 2015, 09:44 AM »
I love my Nils 8" with Tanaka powerhead. They really shine with conditions like we have now (i.e. FEET of ice).

It's awesome!  I'm thinking about buying the new 33cc 10" but they want big money.  MSRP is $1'100.  Retail 800 something.  You can get the 10" spoon for a 27cc for a notch under $400.  I think I'll stick with my 8".

Are you running trufuel as well?

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Mar 03, 2015, 09:45 AM »
i got my first one a month ago polar fire 300 from amazon to the door i love it

Offline Kierran

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • theCTyankee.com
« Reply #25 on: Mar 03, 2015, 11:00 AM »
Are you running trufuel as well?

No, am I missing out?  I've been running 89 with mix of Amsoil Sabre Pro. 

Offline CT Fish Head

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Mar 03, 2015, 11:23 AM »
If your happy with the hole size you have now I would just get an adapter for a cordless drill. Spend $100 on a lithium 18v.  Take your handle off and put the adapter on.  My uncle has a setup like this and get 40 holes out of one batt. 

Offline dmhawks93

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Mar 03, 2015, 11:32 AM »
Have an Eskimo propane 10" works awesome. Real quiet. Doesn't bog down at all have gone 3 hard weekend's on one bottle and it doesn't even feel close to empty yet.. The 10" is a little big for what I wanted but it was all they had in stock at the time. Rips through the ice. The 8" is probably a lot faster too.
i fish because i can

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #28 on: Mar 03, 2015, 11:42 AM »
No, am I missing out?  I've been running 89 with mix of Amsoil Sabre Pro.

Oh ya!  It's in a red can at home depot.  91 octane 50:1 no need to mix and more importantly no ethonol!  Pour it right in, doesn't smoke!  Plug has stayed really clean. 

Offline NewGuy123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Mar 03, 2015, 12:07 PM »
If your happy with the hole size you have now I would just get an adapter for a cordless drill. Spend $100 on a lithium 18v.  Take your handle off and put the adapter on.  My uncle has a setup like this and get 40 holes out of one batt.
am quite happy with the size of auger i have   though ive had a hard time finding replacment blades for it
do you have any clue what adapter he has?
40 holes sounds pretty good
if i can get some nice new blades  and a set up with an 18v   im sure il go right through the ice

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.