New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Real bowfin  (Read 2122 times)

Offline bigdaddyc9

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • cooler than a mentholated snowball!!!
Re: Real bowfin
« Reply #30 on: Mar 05, 2015, 04:35 PM »
I used to have a camp at Greene Point at Sandy Pond.I used to catch bowfin by the hands full on laker filets.Mudchicken filets and a hook and put trolling reel in free spool w/clicker.They make a huge run and then fish on! Too much fun.I can imagine one on jigging rod.
Please Mother Nature,not this year too???

Offline mdougla1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Mar 05, 2015, 08:20 PM »
Thank god you blurred out the background in case someone wanted to steal your bowfin hotspot

This place never ceases to amaze me
I'm not saying they're biting on Brant.  But they probably are

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Mar 06, 2015, 06:21 AM »
there are people whe would for those that do not fish for them they are a great fish and not respected the way they should be i would rather catch one bowfin over 100 bass

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Mar 06, 2015, 06:40 AM »
there are people whe would for those that do not fish for them they are a great fish and not respected the way they should be i would rather catch one bowfin over 100 bass
x2

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Mar 06, 2015, 06:58 AM »
the sad thing is there is only one place any where near my close to an hour away and the bass fisherman kill tham when they catch tham and just waste them even the ice fishermen toss them on the ice and leave them

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Mar 06, 2015, 07:20 AM »
thats sad and no fish should be wasted like that. i have heard fisherman say they kill every bowfin they catch because they are a mean fish. i have seen many fish left on the ice to die including pike either because they were to small or over limited. we are not helping our lakes and ponds populations of species by killing fish that some dont like. bowfin are prehistoric and the sole remaining fish of their related species. the sturgeons mooneyes and many other species are now protected because of some of these same tactics of trashing fish.

Offline krazyk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Mar 06, 2015, 08:36 AM »
I know some guys down south like to smoke them.

I would love the chance to catch one of those buggers along with a longnose gar. It is really too bad how so many anglers are misinformed and would rather kill anything that isn't a trout, bass, or walleye. The Bowfin and Gar have been here for thousands upon thousands more years than any bass, walleye, or stocked trout!

Seeing respect for them on this board is very comforting though! Maybe enough people will read this to give them a chance and the respect they deserve.

In NY the Bowfin isn't that widespread so such a quality specimen in the first post really deserves noting! Great catch!
All fish welcome - even suckers!

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Mar 06, 2015, 09:27 AM »
had a guy from vermont pm me and said if i caught any bowfin that wernt going to make it back to the water to bite again he would take them from me and would smoke one for me and also grill one for me to try. he says they are very good. im going to take him up on it. though i will release them ist if not harmed.

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Mar 06, 2015, 11:08 AM »
hey krazyk you are not far from the finger lakes there are gar in some of those waters as well as bowfins

Offline krazyk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Mar 06, 2015, 11:23 AM »
hey krazyk you are not far from the finger lakes there are gar in some of those waters as well as bowfins

Yeah I've heard that just never found them. I'm thinking maybe the south end of Cayuga? I usually fish Cayuga from the east side by the state park
All fish welcome - even suckers!

Offline Loso015

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Mar 06, 2015, 12:45 PM »
That hog was released to feed again. She took off like a rocket.

Offline JiggerDan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Mar 06, 2015, 12:59 PM »
Nice! I've caught lots of bowfin, but I don't believe I've caught one that big.
Jesus ain't the only one who walks on water!

Offline Fish stink

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Mar 06, 2015, 02:53 PM »
Down south they eat the eggs and call it Cajun  caviar

Offline poedunknation

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Mar 08, 2015, 12:53 AM »
Bowfin are beasts. I have caught them in Lake Ontario, the Upper Niagara River and in Basha Kill but never through the ice. What an awesome fish - I'm super jealous haha.

Offline Loso015

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Mar 08, 2015, 06:37 AM »
Im totally turned on to this fish after pulling one up. Can't wait to target and get a nice mount. Im sure many "fisherman" will ask me whats that?!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.