Author Topic: How long do we have?  (Read 10220 times)

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Work was made for people who can't fish, I'm retir
Re: How long do we have?
« Reply #60 on: Mar 19, 2015, 01:34 PM »
The next part is we are gaining almost 3 minutes of daylight every day, soon we will have 14 hrs of daylight and only 10 hrs. of darkness.

Offline sr73087

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Mar 20, 2015, 09:14 AM »
I checked the local lake again this morning and it was accessible from almost everywhere on the lake I could see. Ice was 8", but alot of that was kind of slushy. To put things in perspective, two weeks ago I had over 17" in the same area of the lake. Is this pretty much what people are seeing across the state? Or at least inland SW CT? That lake sits just below 400 ft above sea level.   

Offline fishoninct

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fishon and often. Leave no trace.
« Reply #62 on: Mar 21, 2015, 08:57 PM »
West hill had winter conditions still with over 15" of solid ice. No slush. Edges firm. Should b that way all over northwest corner as we only had one day that impacted ice and it has been cold at night to firm it back up.
If you can't play nice, get off the ice!

Offline Blowin Holes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Mar 21, 2015, 09:27 PM »
i fished a 6 acre pond in northeast ct today and the ice was as thick as the length of my ice scoop. around 20 inches. thats including the 8 inches of slush and snow that turned into weak ice. the edges are still fine and doing a lot better than the lakes around here. i guarentee ill be able to fish on that pond well into april  :tipup: 

Offline icechaser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #64 on: Mar 22, 2015, 09:23 AM »
Crescent by the house firmed up nicely these past few days-inch of slush on top yesterday-15" total icepack:-8-9"whitemix ice-6"+clearblackbase ice+the bass&pickerel are "on"!

Offline sr73087

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Mar 25, 2015, 04:43 AM »
The last few nights have been nice and cold. My question is, could we still be making ice? Or is there just too much solar radiation during our longer days, that it takes so long to cool the lake back down that its more of a game of maintaining what you still have?

Offline fishoninct

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fishon and often. Leave no trace.
« Reply #66 on: Mar 25, 2015, 05:11 AM »
I fished northwest lakes last weekend and found midwinter conditions without the snow. Fish were active saturday and not so with blue skies on Sunday.
If you can't play nice, get off the ice!

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Mar 25, 2015, 06:07 AM »
The ice we found at Batterson was 18"thick, 9" of black ice and 9"of Bubbled junk that was last sunday , Water moving over the dam was taking away ice as we fished,we could see it. With our snow cover gone there is no ground frost to speak of. The suns radiant heat at this time of yr is increasing very rapidly. Gaining 2 to3 Min's of day light every day. Warming the waters flowing into and around the edges of lakes and ponds.The next two days of rain will do a big amount of damage near 60 and not going below freezing at night. You will get this weekend in OK . By Easter Sunday all bets are off.it will be to dangerous in general, yes there will be a few lakes that normally take longer in the NW corner of the state.Myself and many others Have put away our Winter toys, we had a nice long season.Getting soft water gear at the ready. The second Sat. in April opens the season back up with no ice in our state. If you do go out be very careful, Ice can go from safe to not in a day. Go north they have a lot longer season.

Offline sr73087

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Mar 25, 2015, 07:15 AM »
Yea the rain was my other concern.  :-\

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #69 on: Mar 25, 2015, 10:56 AM »
After this rain tomorrow I'm pretty sure I'm done with ct ice. Profanity make the drive to NH another time or two but it's time to do spring maintenance on the boat. Those stripey silver fish with the big mouths are calling me
The BIG one is just one flag away!

Species caught : largemouth, smallmouth,  bluegill, perch, White perch, crappie, trout, catfish, bowfin, pickerel, pike

-Ryan-

Offline jammer icecube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Danbury Fish & Game Hardwater Tour
« Reply #70 on: Mar 25, 2015, 04:30 PM »
Im not a young gun but there is plenty of ice still in Danbury area,it is time to use picks and take caution but by no means put away your gear. We will go more north as the season ends. I have been speaking with the boys (pm wise)and visit some other towns the next couple weeks. Realistic posts are very important this time of year and opening day may be on the ice. If your sitting home not ice fishing and bored check out the new salwater regs.....be safe and enjoy the long season.
                                                                                                                                      Jammer

Offline icechaser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #71 on: Mar 25, 2015, 07:30 PM »
-Just a bit more:-Saw a lone, brave jigger on hamlin yesterday.-lower ponds are starting to open up-I'm saying goodbye to crescent in the rain tomorrow-When I fish up toward burr this time of year; every pond on the drive up is open-but burr still has 12"+-this year I'm expecting 18"+ this weekend-look for ponds 900ft.+ above sea level- relatively shallow; and spots to walk on hidden from that march sun.- Good luck all+ be safe!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #72 on: Mar 25, 2015, 07:37 PM »
Shallow ponds, first to ice up, first to ice out, the water under the ice warms much quicker and mixes less than in deeper water.

It was sleeting heavily at my house this evening. 

Offline icechaser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #73 on: Mar 25, 2015, 09:33 PM »
-yeah; not too shallow-I'm talking ponds less than 20'-those 5-6'deep swamps open up quick!

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Mar 26, 2015, 06:53 AM »
We will get a weeks reprieve this next week with below normal temps.it will not make ice ,it will slow the thaw.If Temps and weather stay like this,we just may have ice on opening day.It will be the first time in many yrs.

Offline James42eastct

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #75 on: Mar 26, 2015, 07:28 AM »
Has anyone ever been on the ice  or remember ice thick enough to fish on opening day in ct in the past? How long ago was that

Offline sr73087

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Mar 26, 2015, 10:00 AM »
I know last year in Pennsylvania they had that situation, but they opened in SE PA much earlier than CT, March 30th. Supposedly some guys were on the ice others fishing from shore. It would be interesting to have here, but I really don't know if the ice in SW CT will hold up for another 15 days, in the NW it may be a different story though.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #77 on: Mar 26, 2015, 10:19 AM »
I don't mind fishing on late ice but I doubt I'd stand on any in CT on opening day regardless of how thick it is or how cold it's been.  The ice will be so honeycombed if it makes it that long.

Offline sr73087

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Mar 30, 2015, 09:59 AM »
So I checked a local lake in SW CT. In a shaded area, that usually stays solid much longer than the rest of the lake, I walked right on, the ice creaked alittle but nothing too bad and found 12 inches of ice. Not all of it was good ice, the top few inches was slushy but either way I was really surprised how well it held up over the last week.

Offline sr73087

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Apr 03, 2015, 07:51 PM »
Anyone venturing out tomorrow? I know this topic has been argued about constantly not trying to cause any problems.

Offline icechaser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #80 on: Apr 03, 2015, 08:12 PM »
-couple guys are heading up toburr-I'm one of them: everyone's welcome for the last good weekend on the ice!-Solid 14"+ today mostly still black ice!-Other northwest lakes are still quite solid too!-

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.