Author Topic: How long do we have?  (Read 10221 times)

Offline sr73087

• Team IceShanty Regular
How long do we have?
« on: Mar 02, 2015, 08:57 AM »
Right now atleast in SW CT I have 15-18 inch of ice with around 12 inches of snow on top. How long do you think we will be out there this year?

Offline frenchy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • addicted to bass fishing
Re: How long do we have?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2015, 09:41 AM »
very very long. mid april at the least in my usual colder spots
Bass fishing is #1

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2015, 09:50 AM »
April. I'm not going to push it after Ed nearly died going through several inches of rotten ice last year.

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Work was made for people who can't fish, I'm retir
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2015, 11:12 AM »
You may push the first week in april in the north west corner,most of Ct. will be done by the end of the month,with out putting your life in danger. The thirty day outlook is near normal. thats 40's during the day and just at freezing at night for the first half of March, it will moderate from there. March will be your late ice season be careful

Offline ESOX FIX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2015, 11:44 AM »
with 28" of ice, over a foot of snow on that ice protecting it from the March sun, ill be ice fishing till mid April.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2015, 12:06 PM »
Ya me too just not in CT. 

Offline NewGuy123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 02, 2015, 01:14 PM »
planning on fishing til atleast april first

Offline weneric

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2015, 04:52 PM »
no april for me. i am too old to die under the ice. rather die in bed. open water is coming.
wishing i was still young

Offline icechaser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2015, 07:35 PM »
Last year I cut 12" in n.w. ct. last weekend of march-once the temps. start going above freezing in the days-I watch the regional temps.& go to higher+higher elevation ponds until the ice gets that rot on-I never mess w/ rotten ice- no strength to it. It depends what the temperatures are like for me; but unless we have an unusually warm march; I'll be hittin' the first weekend of april in ct.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 02, 2015, 07:39 PM »
I don't plan to be on the ice in April, but it would be interesting if the trout opener was through the ice everywhere in CT.

Offline Chawk190

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2015, 09:47 PM »
April, that's blackfish  time on the wall and Southwest for me.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Mar 03, 2015, 05:42 AM »
April, that's blackfish  time on the wall and Southwest for me.

I'll be there too, hope the water warms up enough for the bigger fish to move in.

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 03, 2015, 09:10 AM »
It will be a waste of time blackfishing this spring no way water will warm up in time I checked the western sound bouy and it's 29.7 at 26ft. Last year was not good in spring I didn't catch a fish till 3 days before it closed and the water was warmer last year at this time of year all I can say is good luck and don't waste gas
Go big or go home

Offline Global Warming in CT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 03, 2015, 04:50 PM »
I still have taug fillets in the freezer from the fall  ;D

Offline jebra

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 03, 2015, 07:05 PM »
Right now atleast in SW CT I have 15-18 inch of ice with around 12 inches of snow on top. How long do you think we will be out there this year?

You can't predict it. We have enough snow and ice that some warm air won't do much at all to shorten the season.
But rain is another story. Wam rain conducts heat like crazy and starts to chew up the edges.

If you hope to go to April, like some that have replied to your post, better pray for dry weather as the temps rise.  ;)

Offline fishoninct

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fishon and often. Leave no trace.
« Reply #15 on: Mar 05, 2015, 06:15 AM »
Last year I cut 12" in n.w. ct. last weekend of march-once the temps. start going above freezing in the days-I watch the regional temps.& go to higher+higher elevation ponds until the ice gets that rot on-I never mess w/ rotten ice- no strength to it. It depends what the temperatures are like for me; but unless we have an unusually warm march; I'll be hittin' the first weekend of april in ct.
Well said.  I hope to fish at least until 4/1.
If you can't play nice, get off the ice!

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 05, 2015, 06:47 AM »
Our days of making any ice are over.  Our snow cover will protect ice for a while,you will enjoy fishing in much more comfortable temps in march. The ground is not frozen that deep because of the snow cover.General ground temps are at about 50 degrees this will start to melt things from the inside,lakes melt in this way as well as air temps and rain.Yes in a colder environment it will take longer like the north west of the state. Enjoy while you can,Fish will be more active as the water warms.Good luck and stay safe

Offline sr73087

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 09, 2015, 09:37 AM »
Its crazy how much more the March sun at 40 degrees melts everything than 40 degrees in Jan or Feb. I would imagine we shouldn't see much melting on the lakes in the next week based on the temps because of the snow cover. But any rain could change things.

Offline Yukon Rozz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 09, 2015, 11:44 AM »
Last day was march 21  for me last year so I think the 3rd weekend is the last one for me this year,I fell  in when I was 20 and it was real tough getting back on the ice, I think at 55 I'll stay in the water next time I fall in so its just not worth it.But nows the time for some 12 hour days to get my fix for the year!

Offline Retiredbum

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 09, 2015, 11:55 AM »
At 65 ,Centerpin for steelies for me in March. No more ice this year, To unsafe. Back to ice fishing this coming X-mas.

Offline Chawk190

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 09, 2015, 12:38 PM »
Last day was march 21  for me last year so I think the 3rd weekend is the last one for me this year,I fell  in when I was 20 and it was real tough getting back on the ice, I think at 55 I'll stay in the water next time I fall in so its just not worth it.But nows the time for some 12 hour days to get my fix for the year!
Know how you feel, I went swimming 40 years ago and learned my lesson well. To bad I didn't learn as well after my first hangover...., or any of them for that matter. Last year I fished til the 3rd week of March also and hope to this season. Headed out right now.

Offline sr73087

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 10, 2015, 08:31 AM »
I am hearing we are supposed to get around .5 of rain tonight. Not sure how this along with temps in the low 50s tomorrow are going to affect things.  :-\

Offline ESOX FIX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 10, 2015, 09:13 AM »
lakes with good ice will be fine. need some rain and a little warmth to improve conditions.

Offline Blowin Holes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Mar 10, 2015, 09:17 AM »
does anyone think that eventually all the slush will melt and soak in and we will get to fish on some bare ice pretty soon?

Offline jebra

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Mar 10, 2015, 11:15 AM »
After the melt we would need another cold streak for that to happen. I wish it would, but the forcasts are not showing any more "artic blasts". :tipup:

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Mar 10, 2015, 03:01 PM »
Models are now calling for the cold to come back with highs 10-20+ below normal for the last 2 weeks of march the ice is not going anywhere anytime soon
Go big or go home

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Mar 10, 2015, 05:37 PM »
the 30 day outlook says we will have below normal temps into april, Gone are the below zero temps, Ice will be here for some time

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Mar 10, 2015, 05:39 PM »
Have passport.  Will go to Quinte!

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Mar 10, 2015, 07:06 PM »
Really hoping to hit ice for open season. Would be something to remember
The BIG one is just one flag away!

Species caught : largemouth, smallmouth,  bluegill, perch, White perch, crappie, trout, catfish, bowfin, pickerel, pike

-Ryan-

Offline Grizzzz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Mar 10, 2015, 09:10 PM »
was just on 18" very close to the shoreline ! I imagine inland will have good ice for a while

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.