Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Shallow Fish--Late Ice  (Read 2461 times)

Offline bert29

• Team IceShanty Regular
Shallow Fish--Late Ice
« on: Mar 02, 2015, 08:14 AM »
Even though the ice is still thick in most areas across the state, we are moving into the Late Ice phase--and with warmer temps on the way, won't be too much longer on ice--at least here in SW Iowa

regardless, with the longer day length and higher sun angle, fish are on the move under the ice--even if you still have 12-20 inches of ice and snow.
yesterday, I got out and fished a lake in SW Iowa...I was fishing in the afternoon in bright sunshine (no snow on ice here) in water as shallow as 2-3ft catching some nice gills and crappies--and a few largemouth thrown in there too.

don't be afraid to try real shallow here in the next few weeks..snow melt, bank melt, and organisms coming to life in the shallows--which in turn draw baitfish--then game fish.

Anyone else had luck fishing extremely shallow this time of year on deeper lakes?

I know a guy the past few years would fish Manawa near CBluffs when main lake was all iced over with 7-8 inches, and he would start hammering crappies in the shallow canals in 2-3ft of water through open areas around ice flows!

Offline Ihawkangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Shallow Fish--Late Ice
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2015, 12:33 PM »
Wow, interesting.  I never have a good plan for late ice and tend to go back to where I have caught fish early to mid season.  Fished yesterday in 9-10 and had some luck, but didn't think of going shallower.  I suppose it helps to have some vegetation or would brush and rocks hold fish in late ice?

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2015, 12:38 PM »
Fished for pike in5' of water. Had 2 nice CR pike. My fishing buddy laughed at me when I only pulled out 3' of line from my tip up. He said I wouldn't catch anything. I LET him get the second flag of the day. He never did have a flag on his tip ups. In deeper water
Bullet with a name on it.

Offline bert29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2015, 01:20 PM »
with the upcoming warm weather, now is the time to try shallow under the ice.
last weekend here in SW Iowa for ice--temps in mid 60's by next Tuesday (with it above 40's on Thursday, 55 Friday, and same over weekend)
good time to hit canals up in Manawa--even if ice is still floating--crappies will be in there now under the ice...try icefishing it next day or two if ice is good enough, then you could go back in day or two and fish open water pockets and with small jigs and bobber, most likely catch fish

late afternoon up on the shallow flats could be real productive here in the next few days!
enjoy the last few days here in SW Iowa to "walk on water!" This weekend will be it for me on ice.

Offline SlimeyJim

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2015, 07:43 AM »
I have noticed in the past couple of days that the ponds i go to that the fish are starting to be alot more active in the shallow water.
I hope to get out this weekend and do some shallow water fishing to end the year.

Offline bert29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 06, 2015, 12:17 PM »
Be safe everyone this weekend! As temps warm up, ice will get soft--fast--especially around edges on north  and east shores as they'll get the majority of the sun.

here in SW Iowa, this will be it...by Tuesday next week, we are supposed to have temps in the 70's!
going to go from 12" of ice to open water in about 4-5 days on most bodies of water in our area
I'm heading out tonight after school, and probably again tomorrow to hit it hard
then next weekend, probably be open water fishing same areas I'm icefishing this weekend!

big fish--shallow water!

Offline bert29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 08, 2015, 09:57 AM »
got a chance to get out yesterday and fish most of the day on Pony Creek. Great time fishin' with Cotacatchers and D-Rail. We caught quite a few fish of all sizes. Good and bad to fish all day with just hoodie on for jacket (that means it's too warm!). we started day with anywhere from 7-10 inches of ice, but by late afternoon, it was getting real soft. We fished in some deeper water, and moved shallower into 4-6ft--sometimes near brush, other times just out on shallow flats.

I actually caught 3 fish yesterday under ice in 2ft of water (with 8 inches of ice!). One decent gill and two smaller bass. Temps got to 63 degrees here yesterday and really did a number on the ice. Glad I fished most of the day, but time to put gear away and get ready for open water fishing---probably next weekend around here as temps in 60's to low 70's most of the week!

Had a great season---catching fish and also fishing with good friends and sharing time together--maybe the best of reasons why I enjoy fishing so much
be safe all; if you venture out in SW, Central or anywhere south hwy 30  in Iowa today! Please be careful. Ice around the shorelines will be getting really weak today. You may get on okay in morning, but getting off in afternoon is when you don't realize how much deterioration is going on under the ice-and how soft it gets.
Rule of thumb--4 inches of good early ice is better than 8 inches of soft late ice!

Offline ClamGuy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 08, 2015, 04:36 PM »
We hit a farm pond south of glenwood yesterday. Lake was half open the other half had about 7". Ice was going bad fast. Couple crappie caught. We decided to try open water fishing below the spillway of the farm pond with our ice rigs. What a surprise that was. We were casting jigging spoons and snagging 20-30 pound Asian carp! What a blast that was. I was very surprised to see so many in a small pool below a farm pond. Also got one crappie down there.

Offline bert29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 08, 2015, 04:52 PM »
and a lot safer standing on shore fishing than on rotting ice!!
that wasn't what's called Mackey's pond is it?

Offline ClamGuy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 08, 2015, 11:32 PM »
I believe it was goodmans. I was with a friend who has permission.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.