The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Question about blades sharpening vs buying new blades?  (Read 1522 times)

Offline noobzer0

• IceShanty Rookie
Hi everyone, I was wondering if i should buy new pair of blade instead of sharpening them,
and does anyone know places that i can get them sharpen ( preferably in Worcester county ) ? and how much would it cost vs buying new one?
Thank you :)

Offline craiger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Swedish steel is for real
Re: Question about blades sharpening vs buying new blades?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2015, 05:33 AM »
Sharpening take practice, but it is doable if you have a sharpening stone or some automotive sandpaper on a block.  I don't know of any shops locally, but fish307.com has a reasonably priced blade exchange program.  A user on here (A7x) posted a great thread about it in the mass board this year, should be pretty easy to find.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2015, 05:51 AM »
I sent 3 sets back last year to someplace in NY. It cost 30 bucks with shipping that same price as one new set. They did a good job on they,but I use a Jiffy pro 4 with all the ice this year.

Offline Hookemup

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2015, 06:20 AM »
It's a lot easier and a lot less aggravating to just put on a new set of blades every season!

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2015, 06:27 AM »
I have a couple sets, as one gets dull I put a sharpened pair on and drop off the dull pair for sharpening... There is a guy in the Orange Athol area that does a good job. I just drop them off at Flaggs and in a short time I can pick them up ready for next time...

Offline Jschumacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats walking on water. Life Member NAFC
« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2015, 11:15 AM »
Just make sure if you have them sharppened they know what there doing. Nothing worse than getting out there and the blades wouldn't cut budda. Had that happen a few years back. Now I buy new and keep a resharppened set. Fish307 does have a good program.
Hard water Tight lines Flags up. Doesn't get any better than that

Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2015, 12:43 PM »
Carboneaus in Worcester on Grafton Street.

I sharpen my own. by hand. with a course, then fine flat stone, then like posted here finishing touches with an fine grit emory cloth. Mint.

Shu, how did your cut?  btw: My auger gave up the same govnah spring that yours did.... must be sumthin about the Champ!!!!

Flaggs!
IceShanty.Com: "The best place to go ice fishing, when you can't go ice fishing!"   A Flaggs Orginal

Offline fishingeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 03, 2015, 12:51 PM »
You can sharpen all the blades you want but there's nothing that cuts like new blades.

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 03, 2015, 12:54 PM »
You can sharpen all the blades you want but there's nothing that cuts like new blades.
not if its done right... I would challenge your assertion.

the key is done right, take your time. new blades can be $$$  re-sharpening correctly, 000

Flaggs!

IceShanty.Com: "The best place to go ice fishing, when you can't go ice fishing!"   A Flaggs Orginal

Offline A7X

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2015, 05:41 PM »

Not even close bud...

I can honestly sharpen blades better than new in most cases... There's no love put into most auger blades, knives, chisels, etc, etc in mass production, they can be sharper than factory instead of just pumping em out for production... Yes I am a professional, background as a tool and die maker... Please don't spread rumors, but I guess that's what the interwebs are for... You're egging people on to spend more $$ for no good reason, which is a major no no in my book, sorry... (Maybe you've had a bad experience with a shotty sharpening service or you don't have the skills needed to sharpen blades properly, maybe both, idk what the case is) and you're giving the factory way too much credit... How can you possibly think that only the factory can put a good edge on the same piece of steel in production? Why can't the edge be restored to the same quality if not better on the same blade? Hmmmm... They must use some sort of wizardry or magical equipment?

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it was easy they would call it catching
« Reply #10 on: Mar 03, 2015, 05:44 PM »

I sharpen my own. by hand. with a course, then fine flat stone, then like posted here finishing touches with an fine grit emory cloth. Mint.

Shu, how did your cut?  btw: My auger gave up the same govnah spring that yours did.... must be sumthin about the Champ!!!!

Flaggs!

Not a good year for augers.  Yours, Jeff's, Wally's, Fred's and mine have all had issues.  Unfortunately Fred's blew up.
It is MY responsibility to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now. Make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day. They might show up if there is enough staff working.

Offline Jschumacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats walking on water. Life Member NAFC
« Reply #11 on: Mar 03, 2015, 08:22 PM »

Flaggs!

Mine turned out to be the little piece on the carb the spring attaches to. Got a new carb coming off ebay. Hope that piece is on it. It blasted through that 30+ inches of ice on the champ before it broke. Blades were awesome. Thanks Roger.
Hard water Tight lines Flags up. Doesn't get any better than that

Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline noobzer0

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 04, 2015, 03:47 AM »
 ;) thank you everyone for great informations, i will try to sharpen my own, but will also buy 1 spare set to keep while sharpening the other ...

Offline ALMA0930

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 04, 2015, 05:47 AM »
http://www.odtool.com/      call first, im sure they will do em..drop em in the mail.  I allways have a spare set on hand, just in case

Offline A7X

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 04, 2015, 06:57 AM »
;) thank you everyone for great informations, i will try to sharpen my own, but will also buy 1 spare set to keep while sharpening the other ...

Definitly good to have two sets... That way there's no rush while you're sharpening...

Offline fishingeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 04, 2015, 06:59 AM »
Not even close bud...

I can honestly sharpen blades better than new in most cases... There's no love put into most auger blades, knives, chisels, etc, etc in mass production, they can be sharper than factory instead of just pumping em out for production... Yes I am a professional, background as a tool and die maker... Please don't spread rumors, but I guess that's what the interwebs are for... You're egging people on to spend more $$ for no good reason, which is a major no no in my book, sorry... (Maybe you've had a bad experience with a shotty sharpening service or you don't have the skills needed to sharpen blades properly, maybe both, idk what the case is) and you're giving the factory way too much credit... How can you possibly think that only the factory can put a good edge on the same piece of steel in production? Why can't the edge be restored to the same quality if not better on the same blade? Hmmmm... They must use some sort of wizardry or magical equipment?

I'm not insulting your profession nor I'm spreading rumors or telling people to spend money for no good reason. I don't know how you got that ??? ??? Please reread my comment. I just gave my humble opinion which is what the internet is for I'm not bashing people or making assumptions. If I am then I guess the internet has made people soft.

As for blades yes I have tried to sharpen them. Some are successful others not. I find the curvier blades are harder to sharpen because of the angle and curvature. . I'm no expertise but in my experience I find it easier to buy a new pair. I make mine last 4-5 seasons before replacing it so it's not like I have money up the arse to buy a new blade every year.

Offline A7X

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 04, 2015, 08:36 AM »
Fishingeek,

Read your post again, it says to me that you can sharpen all the blades you want but there's nothing that cuts like new blades... Therfore saying not to bother sharpening and just buy new if you want them to cut like new, that's what I got from it and that's far from the truth...

There's no tone of voice via the Internet, I'm not trying to put you down (I should learn to type nicer  ;D )... I've seen you around here and you seem like a good person and I was not typing in anger  ;)

It's just that I don't want people to be afraid of learning to sharpen their blades themselves, which is a great skill to learn... Or be afraid of using a GOOD sharpening service and spend more money than needed... We all work hard for our money...

Blades with a radius are a bit harder to sharpen... Different technique, same concept... I understand where you're statement comes from if you meant it's easier to buy new blades than to sharpen, that is true for most, even for myself... it's less work haha... but I wasn't getting that from your post...

Sorry for the confusion  :tipup:

Here's an article I wrote on sharpening blades at home if anyone is interested...
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=309016.0

Offline fishingeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Mar 04, 2015, 09:20 AM »
That's the great thing about the internet. Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs or viewpoint. I wasn't trying to make a debatable argument just expressing my concerns and the frustrations of sharpening an old blade compared to buying a new one. I try to engage in a rational and intelligent dialogue over the internet and not try to feel too opinionated for a discussion. Some people handle criticism well others don't. Got to take the good with the bad. I appreciate your feedback and expertise. This is why I love IceShanty  ;D

I own an 8" strikemaster lazer hand auger and have tried several times to sharpen it. The auger came with the cheap chinese blade at first that would stall on the final cut. After many attempts to sharpen it I finally tossed those outs and got the Swedish blades. I'm on my 3rd season with it and still cut like day one. Hopefully I can learn how to sharpen them correctly. Gonna take a read on the link later today. Thanks A7X.

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Mar 04, 2015, 05:38 PM »
That's the great thing about the internet. Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs or viewpoint. I wasn't trying to make a debatable argument just expressing my concerns and the frustrations of sharpening an old blade compared to buying a new one. I try to engage in a rational and intelligent dialogue over the internet and not try to feel too opinionated for a discussion. Some people handle criticism well others don't. Got to take the good with the bad. I appreciate your feedback and expertise. This is why I love IceShanty  ;D

I own an 8" strikemaster lazer hand auger and have tried several times to sharpen it. The auger came with the cheap chinese blade at first that would stall on the final cut. After many attempts to sharpen it I finally tossed those outs and got the Swedish blades. I'm on my 3rd season with it and still cut like day one. Hopefully I can learn how to sharpen them correctly. Gonna take a read on the link later today. Thanks A7X.

I'll show you how to sharpen your blades, man. It's not easy, but it's not hard either. I might ask for a carp spot, never caught one of them...

"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline fishingeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Mar 04, 2015, 05:41 PM »
I might have to take you up on that offer. Plenty of carp spot on the Concord and Merrimack River and not enough anglers. ;D

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Mar 05, 2015, 06:27 PM »
Yeah I did mine for the first time this season. Super easy to do (used a diamond stone, then a 1000/6000 sharpening stone). If i didn't own them for kitchen knives I might use a service. The stones are great to own though for all sharpening and about 40 bucks for the stone and a diamond stone on amazon. The care you can give your blades does make them many times sharper then the factory (at least on my augers factory blades). I am no expert sharpener either, this was only my 2-3rd time sharpening anythig with them. Just don't sharpen the flat side that sits on the ice, just sharpens the other side that cuts the ice with the larger angle.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.