The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Missisquoi Bay Question  (Read 3796 times)

Offline HardWater518

• Team IceShanty Regular
Missisquoi Bay Question
« on: Mar 01, 2015, 04:52 PM »
Drove by what I believe is Missisquoi Bay and seen about 100 people out there, with a plowed road and everything. I was just curious as to what they species fish they may be targeting? I was told alot of people pike fish it, but was also told that the white perch like to run in there as well. Thanks

Offline Lord_of_the_Perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Missisquoi Bay Question
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2015, 05:13 AM »
If it's the boat ramp off Rt 78 by the bridge, it's a part of Missisquoi called Campbell's bay. It's a good spot for pike. You can sometimes find White Perch across the channel, on the Alburgh side in Chapman's bay.

Offline HardWater518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2015, 06:21 AM »
Yes coming from New York, it was on the left side after the bridge.

Offline cooljoe52

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2015, 06:54 PM »
Yes they plowed a nice road.. 2 lanes ;D with different section to fish...  many cars are driving on that part of the lake..

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2015, 05:03 AM »
Yesterday's wind drifted most of the road over. I (everyone) got off the ice around 2:00.

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2015, 05:28 AM »
I was glad to get off. At the height of the wind the road was hard to see and you couldn't see land.
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline HardWater518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2015, 05:55 PM »
Fished the bay today. Ended up with 1/4 pail of perch by 9 and then they just didn't want to bite. Lots of people out there all moving around. Talked to one guy and he had a few sunnys and gills but I wasn't fortunate enough to get any. Maybe I'm just using the wrong style jig? Oh also brought on the ice a 20" northern on an ultra light pole and 2 pound test. And 1 large bullhead. Wasn't a bad morning. Moved to a different spot after the quit.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 04, 2015, 05:13 PM »
The road is pretty drifted in. Tough going but there were some die hards out there. Quite a few got stuck so if you go out be careful. I took my wheeler and it was OK in the drifts.

Offline HardWater518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 04, 2015, 05:51 PM »
When did you go out and how did you do? The fish were there but just weren't biting well.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 04, 2015, 06:14 PM »
I headed out with the wheeler around 7:30. Had a pretty good day on flat fish with 10 bonus fish.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 04, 2015, 06:43 PM »
I had a pretty good day as well. Caught a 1.25# bonus fish that made me stay way longer than I should have. Only blemish on the day was when I found a half dozen 4" blue gill, and a short crappie was left on the ice after an F250 left.
Man, what a waste. Please put the back in the hole.

Offline HardWater518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 04, 2015, 06:46 PM »
What is a bonus fish?

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 04, 2015, 06:50 PM »
Crappie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 05, 2015, 05:13 AM »
I had a pretty good day as well. Caught a 1.25# bonus fish that made me stay way longer than I should have. Only blemish on the day was when I found a half dozen 4" blue gill, and a short crappie was left on the ice after an F250 left.
Man, what a waste. Please put the back in the hole.
I don't think it was them. I believe they were left by another person who had been fishing there for the past few days and left. I have fished around those 2 NYers quite a bit and they appear to me to be good sportsmen.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 05, 2015, 08:00 AM »
I don't think it was them. I believe they were left by another person who had been fishing there for the past few days and left. I have fished around those 2 NYers quite a bit and they appear to me to be good sportsmen.
The other fisherman didn't think it sounded like them either. The sad part is that it was 8.75". I would have cleaned it if it weren't dried out.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 05, 2015, 05:20 PM »
I saw it today when I was trying to find my spot. Everything looked different and the road was just about gone. Even the seagulls wouldn't eat it. The road out is trashed. Only 2 trucks made it and lots were stuck way back near the launch. Wheeler with chains worked Ok.

Offline HardWater518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 05, 2015, 05:23 PM »
We were one of the trucks out there and will never do it again. Got stuck about 4 times. We knew it was a bad idea when we got there, but we drove a hour and 15 mins and didn't bring a quad with us. SO it was either chance it or go home... Ended up with about a 5 gallon pail between 2 of us. Was a mixed bag of perch and gills, and the occasional sunny.

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 05, 2015, 08:51 PM »
did you forget your legs at home too? I mean cuz like walking is an option lol.

Do you really have that much of a problem with people driving on the ice? Pretty much every thread you piss and moan about drivers or tire tracks. Sorry there isn't a bike lane on the ice bro
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Mar 05, 2015, 09:08 PM »
Have you ever fished missisquoi? enjoy your walk across a bay that is bigger than any lake entirely in the state. Probably have just as good of a chance at catching a laker there as Shelburne bay. I'll remember to smile and wave the next time I drive by and you're pulling your sled a mile from the access.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline perchhauler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 05, 2015, 09:19 PM »
Its about 5 miles from the bridge to the border, and with the snow it would be a good hike. believe it or not I have caught 2 lakers  on the highgate springs side of the bay a few years ago

Offline HardWater518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 06, 2015, 04:20 AM »
Sorry to sound lazy or fat but my buddy I fish with is handicap. So it was either drive or go home. And honestly im only 30 and I don't think I could make the 3 mile hike one way through the snow drifts.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Mar 06, 2015, 05:33 AM »
Exactly 3 miles from the 78 bridge to the sunnie grounds. I have fished it for years and seldom see anyone walking out especially if there is snow on the ice. Driving on the ice is a Vermont tradition. Complaining about wheel tracks....someone must be having a bad day.

Offline Smelty88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Mar 06, 2015, 06:22 AM »
hey look another ice shanty argument! what a surprise!
Think I'm gettin abite my flag's twitchin
twitter@wefishing2day IG: Smelty88

Offline stubborn1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Mar 06, 2015, 06:23 AM »
Iverson, ignorance isn't really an excuse for ragging on other fisherman.  I don't see the need to comment on how other people fish.  You want to walk on and catch 13" lakers?, knock yourself out.  It seems like you could post constructive comments on the forum, or keep it to yourself.
I fish better Hungry.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Mar 06, 2015, 01:31 PM »
On a better note the snow has hardened up and there were quite a few trucks out today and looked like they were going good. The first part of the road is still tough but once past that first point it is pretty good sailing...and like always good walking ;D

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Mar 06, 2015, 05:02 PM »
Glad to hear that. Yesterday's ride back really sucked. I'll be there Monday!!!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Mar 07, 2015, 05:10 AM »
wont happen sorry.  I have more sense than pick a spot that requires a mile walk to fish.  but up to 1000 yards isn't a big deal for me at all. but just remember when your wheels are sipping lake water I wont be quick to run over and help but I may just toss you a couple dink yellows for your troubles.

You really don't have a clue what we catch up there. It's one of the best 3 mile hauls I take.

Offline pokholes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Mar 07, 2015, 06:16 AM »
You really don't have a clue what we catch up there. It's one of the best 3 mile hauls I take.
X2!!!!

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • im a die hard ice fishing addict 'nuff said
« Reply #28 on: Mar 07, 2015, 10:00 AM »
Man if your trying to piss people off your going about it the right way.
i told myself id be back by 2 i guess i didnt factor in that the fish were biting

Offline jonny jigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Mar 07, 2015, 12:13 PM »
i shoot and catch any thing that will fill the freezer or make money   guys who say they only want to trophy hunt or fish do that because they want to make up for having  small d##ks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.