The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: WHAT SIZE JIG ARE YOU USING  (Read 1136 times)

Offline after-4

• Team IceShanty Addict
WHAT SIZE JIG ARE YOU USING
« on: Feb 28, 2015, 10:32 PM »
Seems like I can't get away from size 16 tungsten. If I go up to a 14 with the same plastic 0. Loosing a lot of fish with the small hook, but that's how it goes I guess. Bought some tungsten beads width the intent of going with a slightly smaller body and thinner 14 hook. Found some 14 jig style hooks in my box but I can't find any thing smaller than a 12 alberdeen any where in the world. I may have to go with a jig  fly hook like the tungstens are using.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: WHAT SIZE JIG ARE YOU USING
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2015, 01:00 AM »
I've been having great results with 16's also and cut down plastics or balloon strips I cut out of water balloons. I only will use jigs that have very thin hooks,  because the thicker hooks jigs don't stick them as well with light line and soft rods. Two things that have really helped is sharpening the jigs ( even new ones) and being a touch slower at setting the hook. Fished today and did really well on some bigger crappies and only lost two in the hole out of 23 hooked. I also don't lift fish out of the hole but sort of drag them to the right side of hole,and use the ice spoon a lot to aid in lifting those big slabs. Also take my time and play the fish with steady tention but don't horse them,I had a lot of fish make short runs with my drag set on the loose side. Hope this helps

Offline eyefishermandt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • CAPTAIN OF THE F.O.P. ICE FISHING TEAM.
« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2015, 06:02 AM »
4mm tungsten has been my go to. If they are aggressive I will bump it up to a 5mm.
DONALD T WITMER III                                 Pro staff for Catch em all custom jigs, ACE custom rods, Contraband baits, Bonehead Tackle, Rhyno custom jigs,  And Expedition outdoors!

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2015, 06:15 AM »
I have been using 1/4oz and 7/16oz the bass love them.been taking home stringer fills to meet the pan. ;D ;D ::)

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2015, 07:21 AM »
I have been using 1/4oz and 7/16oz the bass love them.been taking home stringer fills to meet the pan. ;D ;D ::)
ditto 1/4 oz white jig head 3" zoom shad with the secret weapon "BANG" there you go lol for the lil guys i just put on a lil firetiger jig head dont know name or manufacturer real maggots the key bluegills cant let them alone with the 1/4 jig head i couldnt go with the 5" plastics so i might try the 7/16 oz thanks for the tip
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline Basspunker182

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2015, 07:51 PM »
I do well on size 16 too catch everything from gills and crappie to walleye to smallmouth and largemouth bass. I do lose some fish occasionally but that's the risk you take when fishing with a small single hook. I always keep them sharp and keep the drag set light and just wear the fish down. Even though I may lose some fish On most days I have more hook ups then others that use spoons or larger bulky jigs.

Offline after-4

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2015, 08:35 PM »
Tried different sizes and colors today wound up going back to the 3mm tungsten.

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2015, 10:04 AM »
Currently I got on a 3/8 Oz bucktail while jigging lakers  ;D

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2015, 04:58 PM »
I use different sizes depending on conditions, but that said I have caught many fish on a simple gold 3mm tungsten. The truth is, I have caught at least half of my fish this year on a no. 8 Lulu jig fished on a dead stick or Mr. Jigger. I think a lot of times we scare them away when they are negative with too much action and convince ourselves it was the size of the jig. On the slow days those big jigs on a simple Schooley rod will often out fish my entire arsenal of jigs and that would be at least five different size and shapes of lures, usually 10-16. I'm with captain 54 on spooning big slabs; I almost never try to take crappie out any other way. ;)

Offline higbee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 02, 2015, 06:59 PM »
Only had the luxury of twice this year having a non stop bite (anything works).
I don't mind picky fish as it is somewhat funner to figure what they want and how they want it (ultra clear water). It seems that I always go back to moon jig. Sometimes use 1/80th, or super small tungsten. Catch anything from big bass (c&r) to gills(eat).

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2015, 08:03 PM »
My son and I fished today caught 40 crappie 11- 12.5 inches and big bulls over 9 inches all on clean plastics jig size mostly 12's. Those high priced Clam plastic stuff and Trigger X stuff was the real deal today.

Offline smally hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 03, 2015, 06:53 PM »
The maki minnow catches fish at times of the day when I've never been successful.  Also have had luck using big spoons when the normal baits won't work. My best jig all year has been a 1/32 tungsten black with eyes and orange and white belly .

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 05, 2015, 06:41 PM »
I use different sizes depending on conditions, but that said I have caught many fish on a simple gold 3mm tungsten. The truth is, I have caught at least half of my fish this year on a no. 8 Lulu jig fished on a dead stick or Mr. Jigger. I think a lot of times we scare them away when they are negative with too much action and convince ourselves it was the size of the jig. On the slow days those big jigs on a simple Schooley rod will often out fish my entire arsenal of jigs and that would be at least five different size and shapes of lures, usually 10-16. I'm with captain 54 on spooning big slabs; I almost never try to take crappie out any other way. ;)

I agree with you 100% VAN Cleaver

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.