The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: elusive lake champlain whitefish  (Read 788 times)

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
elusive lake champlain whitefish
« on: Feb 28, 2015, 06:37 AM »
has anyone caught any lake whitefish this winter on lake champlain? they are there but a very difficult fish to target and catch. i would appreciate any lake whitefish catches on this post. i dont need to know where they were caught just if one was caught.

Offline BlackDucksAndBrownDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: elusive lake champlain whitefish
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2015, 06:56 AM »
Struck out on whitefish Wednesday off Shelburne Bay.

Marked a bunch of fish on the flasher, pulled the hooks on two, missed others.  My buddy landed one laker.

Jigging in 110' was certainly a new experience.

Offline BlackDucksAndBrownDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2015, 11:13 AM »
It is but switching to braid with a mono leader really makes it feel like your jigging in 20 FOW. You also get better hooksets which I'm assuming you were using mono. The amount of force to set on a fish that deep with the stretch of mono is absurd. When I'm in more than 50 feet. I grab the braid.

Braid has it's place -- I use it on my laker rods.  But the ice build up is too much when using lighter jigs -- you lose the sensitivity.  And the weight of the ice will deflect a spring bobber.

Too cold Wednesday morning to effectively use braid.  Don't regret using the fluoro.

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2015, 05:08 PM »
Didn't catch any yet but last year caught a couple off my place on the west shore of North Hero. Strange part is they were in 20 ft of water and I caught them while jigging for perch. The 20 foot mark falls off to over 100 ft quickly accounts for the deep water fish up feeding on the shelf. I always get a few lakers on too but seldom can get them up a perch hole. The lake whitefish were around 3 to 4 pounds.
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2015, 07:55 PM »
Didn't catch any yet but last year caught a couple off my place on the west shore of North Hero. Strange part is they were in 20 ft of water and I caught them while jigging for perch. The 20 foot mark falls off to over 100 ft quickly accounts for the deep water fish up feeding on the shelf. I always get a few lakers on too but seldom can get them up a perch hole. The lake whitefish were around 3 to 4 pounds.
that isnt so strange to me now because i caught a 5 lber last winter between pot ash bay and elm point in 20 ft of water on medium shiner on a tip up fishing for lakers. thanks for that info. the fight was great and the fish was very tasty.

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2015, 07:57 PM »
Struck out on whitefish Wednesday off Shelburne Bay.

Marked a bunch of fish on the flasher, pulled the hooks on two, missed others.  My buddy landed one laker.

Jigging in 110' was certainly a new experience.
im curious were you just jigging with one jigging stick or did you have another set also?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.