New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: 8 inches to small!  (Read 1529 times)

Offline Loso015

• Team IceShanty Regular
8 inches to small!
« on: Feb 27, 2015, 09:27 PM »
Well im sold on a 10 inch hole after today. Almost missed a once in a lifetime bowfin who got wedged. The hook came out and she started to sink. Gaff slipped..she bit all three of us good but we got her! 28 inches didnt weigh her. Kicking myself in the ass. Never had one on the other end...awesome fight.

Offline EatenByLimestone

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 8 inches to small!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2015, 11:19 PM »
Pics?

Glad you got her!

Offline Shouldabeenhereyesterday

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2015, 05:29 AM »
Congrats but Guess what if you had a 10" hole the fish wouldn't have gotten wedged and would have turned and went back....one of the best tools for crappies is a 4.5" hole so when the fish comes unhooked at the hole (alot of times) it has a much harder time getting turned around to get away!!  Bigger holes are not needed in my opinion.  I have fit 40+" pike through a 8" hole with no problems.  10" holes are way to big and they become dangerous to kids and others who could possibly put a leg through.

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2015, 05:50 AM »

Offline Loso015

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2015, 06:09 AM »
Ill get a picture up later today. And as far as getting it stuck, I would rather not scramble for my trophy but have a clean landing. That was a gut wrenching feeling with my first bowfin. Never even seen a mount of one this size.

Offline SKUNK-MASTER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2015, 06:32 AM »
Congrats but Guess what if you had a 10" hole the fish wouldn't have gotten wedged and would have turned and went back....one of the best tools for crappies is a 4.5" hole so when the fish comes unhooked at the hole (alot of times) it has a much harder time getting turned around to get away!!  Bigger holes are not needed in my opinion.  I have fit 40+" pike through a 8" hole with no problems.  10" holes are way to big and they become dangerous to kids and others who could possibly put a leg through.

big time!!!!!!!!!!!       ask guys to respond that have put a leg in one of those damn things...........seen a lot of big fish in my day.....none of which would not have come thru an 8" hole

Offline Loso015

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2015, 06:37 AM »
It came through. Barely. I get my foot in 8 inch holes. You gotta be careful out there no matter what. When you get that one catch that goes this way you may very well change your beliefs

Offline reeltime

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2015, 06:55 AM »
there was talk a few years ago about trying to ban 10" augers for the safety reasons listed above, don't think it got very far.

Offline Loso015

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 28, 2015, 07:49 AM »

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Feb 28, 2015, 07:55 AM »
Congratulations..    :thumbsup: :thumbsup:   Monster...   Even for that lake..  ;)    :whistle: :whistle:
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline jayy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 28, 2015, 09:38 AM »
Nice fish!     I bet it woulda fit through a 6 inch hole ;)  haha

Offline Loso015

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 28, 2015, 09:55 AM »
Wasn't coming through a 6 in one piece. Would have certainly lost it then. It was on jig rod with 8 lb line.

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 28, 2015, 10:05 AM »
Well im sold on a 10 inch hole after today. Almost missed a once in a lifetime bowfin who got wedged. The hook came out and she started to sink. Gaff slipped..she bit all three of us good but we got her! 28 inches didnt weigh her. Kicking myself in the ass. Never had one on the other end...awesome fight.

Those bowfins are real fighters-like a combination of a Bass and Pike. Never heard of anyone mounting one or eating one before?? Nice job-Congrads..

Offline Loso015

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 28, 2015, 10:34 AM »
I definitely enjoyed the fight. I would recommend a jig rod tip up for every nice day.

Offline Loso015

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 28, 2015, 10:39 AM »
Those bowfins are real fighters-like a combination of a Bass and Pike. Never heard of anyone mounting one or eating one before?? Nice job-Congrads..

With the right colors I am now looking to mount a male. Seen a few mounts. May never see that size again without traveling. Definately an odd day bite.

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 28, 2015, 10:46 AM »
Nice fish for such a cloudy day  ;D
Budweiser pro staff

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Feb 28, 2015, 11:08 AM »
Wouldnt he have turned around and been gone in a 10"? A buddy of mine swears by 5in holes for crappie. Ive watched him lose fish in the hole and they swim right to the surface. They turn around and are gone in my 8in.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline HardWater518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 28, 2015, 11:37 AM »

big time!!!!!!!!!!!       ask guys to respond that have put a leg in one of those damn things...........seen a lot of big fish in my day.....none of which would not have come thru an 8" hole

My kid almost broke his leg in a 10" hole one day. We were walking along and he screamed, I looked back and he was in the hole all the way to his hip. Very scary situation.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Feb 28, 2015, 12:02 PM »

I have  to  agree  and  that  bowfin would  have  come threw a  6 inch hole and  we all know it ...

setting  tip ups I  use  a  8  inch and  landed  40+ inch  tigers  with  no issue I  don't think a  ling  would  be to  tough

Offline ice man88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 28, 2015, 12:12 PM »
Loso015 probably regretting mentioning the hole size about now ;)..Nice bowfin regardless of the hole it came threw

Offline Loso015

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 28, 2015, 12:33 PM »
Not regretting it all. Like I said once in a lifetime. Fat bowfin the picture doesn't do justice. I don't need to tell tales to people I don't even know. Just sharing what I considered amazing. I learned a lesson. The size of fish I want wont be landed in 8. I could care less about your hole size, as its not my problem.  I didn't ask for advice in that department. Like I said. Kicking myself I should have put it to scales.

Offline SKUNK-MASTER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 28, 2015, 12:44 PM »
Not regretting it all. Like I said once in a lifetime. Fat bowfin the picture doesn't do justice. I don't need to tell tales to people I don't even know. Just sharing what I considered amazing. I learned a lesson. The size of fish I want wont be landed in 8. I could care less about your hole size, as its not my problem.  I didn't ask for advice in that department. Like I said. Kicking myself I should have put it to scales.

I am with ya there........I tell them to myself as i am the only one that will listen to me  ;D :unsure:

Offline ice man88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 28, 2015, 12:55 PM »
I cant imagine what that hog weighs,,really cool to see,they are an awesome fish..I have never caught one threw the ice,but I can imagine she put up one hell of a fight!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Feb 28, 2015, 12:57 PM »
well lets  reason this  out  ...  a  8 inch  hole  times  by pi  which is  roughly 3.14  = 25.12 inches  that means  your ling would have  to  have a  girth of  25 plus  inches to not  fit in that hole  ....  the  average mans upper leg is  about  20 to 22 ....might have  been hard to  pull it threw  because  it was  wiggling  or the  top of the  hole  could have  been  skimmed  over that has nothing t do  with the  size  of the   hole  ...a  easy  way  to  compaie   the  aveage  mans  middle  finger is 3  to  3.25 inches  ....that being  said  I  don't see  a  25 inch  girth  fish  ...I  do see a  big   bowfin tho

now  if  your  fish  was  28 inches  long  as  you  stated  and  had a  25 inch  girth  he  would have  weighted  appt.  22 lbs

Offline Loso015

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 28, 2015, 01:09 PM »
Clearly she fit. Just saying it wasnt smooth at all. Upwards of 20 in girth for sure. I felt like I was holding a small salmon.

Offline Loso015

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 28, 2015, 01:20 PM »
The gaff did not fit in the hole with him.  Lot of snow and 20 inches plus of ice. Anyways fish your size and ill fish mine. Would have been easier in 10 inches any way I look at it. I'll fish in my tens perfectly happy next week.  :tipup:

Offline Loso015

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 28, 2015, 01:37 PM »
So many haters. Go drill some holes if your all that bored.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Feb 28, 2015, 01:48 PM »
Is this season over yet?   
Boy a guy gets attacked for catching a nice Bowfin....  :-\
Its nice out.. Go fishing... 
Again, congratulations on a nice catch.....

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #28 on: Feb 28, 2015, 01:50 PM »
And as far as augers I have a 10", 8" and two  6"...   There is a time and place for all... ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.