Author Topic: ORV on the lakes?  (Read 1455 times)

Offline Sixleaker

• IceShanty Rookie
ORV on the lakes?
« on: Feb 27, 2015, 09:24 PM »
I have a Polaris that is 2002 model and I just registered it a few days ago. I read on the BMV site that if the ORV is more than 5 model years old, it doesn't need a title- just registered. They are supposed to send me registration information and some number decals in a week or so. My question is do I need to have these on my wheeler before I use it to pull a sled on the ice?  I have screen shots of the transaction identification and receipt to show it is registered.
"This ice fishing all the time is getting old... Maybe someday when the ice melts you can do a few things around the house!" My lovely wife :)

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: ORV on the lakes?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2015, 09:55 PM »
I don't know for sure but with auto/truck transactions anymore, everything comes in the mail days after the work is done at the BMV.  If you have proof, I would think you would be good to go.

Offline treetalks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2015, 11:16 PM »
Thats a good question.  I was told at the BMV that I could as long as I had the receipt, but according to the dnr rules you have to wait for stickers.  If you just purchased the atv you have 31 days to ride if you have a bill of sale. personally I would think your ok just carrying your receipt until you have the ohv stickers.

Offline Hermdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Hard, Die Happy
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2015, 04:02 AM »
As long as you have a copy of proof of registration your good. Just don't be doin anything your not supposed to, cause there is always that chance that you will be checked since your numbers are not on your machine yet!!

Offline Ace in the Hole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2015, 04:15 AM »
If you do the registration at your county DMV office then you can use the ORV immediately but if you do the registration online then you have to wait until the sticker arrives. I just went threw this last week with my county DMV. If the machine is over 5 years old and never registered you need a police inspection or a serial number check at the DMV. Mike

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2015, 04:37 AM »
When i registered mine this year they told me to go ahead and just carry the receipt and temporary registration papers they gave me.

Offline Sixleaker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 06, 2015, 12:50 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys.  Turns out, I didnt take the four wheeler out this past weekend. I did receive the decals already so I'm good to go this weekend!  Planning on heading up north- it's been pretty slow around here.
"This ice fishing all the time is getting old... Maybe someday when the ice melts you can do a few things around the house!" My lovely wife :)

Offline Hermdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Hard, Die Happy
« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2015, 04:25 AM »
No need for the 4 wheeler now , you can drive your truck out!! Plenty of ice!

Offline icingill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 06, 2015, 11:59 AM »
I asked the DNR at the Indy Boat Show, Friday 2/27, as I had received Stickers the previous week. I wanted his input on ORV's on ice for fishing.
He told me it wasn't legal unless I had a Handycapped permit from the DNR. Everything I have read in Snowmobile & ORV Indiana Handbook does not restrict it. I told him I have done everthing I could, I registered it, got the stickers, had just purchased a Launch Permit. And was informed that if I was in his area (Brown County) I would arrested. Maybe Brown County only has Monroe Reservoir & I guess I can understand it there, as it is a State Park.
He told me he would have my DNR area officer conact me when I asked about lakes like Mud & Niona. That hasn't happened yet and I don't really expect it either. They seem to like to suprise a person all the time.
Now with that said I would like to know???
Just were in this world does the DNR find these kind of people ? IM just say'n were they Drill Sargent's ? Did they get turned down when trying to be in Civil Defence, Volunteer Fireman, or Crossing Guard while in gradeschool. ( No offence to these fine volunteers intended ) Could it be the DNR requires that every morning their officers must be back-rubbed with a wire brush.
These people are without a doubt the biggest A--HOLES of any Law Enforcement, I have ever known to crap between a pair of shoes. Just say'n.

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 06, 2015, 12:13 PM »
It has always been my understanding that state parks such as chain o lakes, mississinewa, salimonie and the liked are off limits.  Natural lakes they are permitted but have to be registered.  I would think you are good to go.

Offline Hermdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Hard, Die Happy
« Reply #10 on: Mar 07, 2015, 05:04 AM »
I asked the DNR at the Indy Boat Show, Friday 2/27, as I had received Stickers the previous week. I wanted his input on ORV's on ice for fishing.
He told me it wasn't legal unless I had a Handycapped permit from the DNR. Everything I have read in Snowmobile & ORV Indiana Handbook does not restrict it. I told him I have done everthing I could, I registered it, got the stickers, had just purchased a Launch Permit. And was informed that if I was in his area (Brown County) I would arrested. Maybe Brown County only has Monroe Reservoir & I guess I can understand it there, as it is a State Park.
He told me he would have my DNR area officer conact me when I asked about lakes like Mud & Niona. That hasn't happened yet and I don't really expect it either. They seem to like to suprise a person all the time.
Just were in this world does the DNR find these kind of people ? IM just say'n were they Drill Sargent's ? Did they get turned down when trying to be in Civil Defence, Volunteer Fireman, or Crossing Guard while in gradeschool. ( No offence to these fine volunteers intended ) Could it be the DNR requires that every morning their officers must be back-rubbed with a wire brush.
These people are without a doubt the biggest A--HOLES of any Law Enforcement, I have ever known to crap between a pair of shoes. Just say'n.
Yea some of these guys are total jack wagons! They walk around with a chip on their shoulder at all times! We have multiple fishdicks  in Steuben, and only one that I know of is half ways decent.

Offline iceon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 08, 2015, 12:40 AM »
Up to the discretion of the officer.
Iceon

Offline icingill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 08, 2015, 10:51 AM »
Its to bad that we don't have clearly spelled out guide lines (Laws) that enable us to know what we are allowed.
Up to the Discration of the officer is not acceptable. Most of us have had experiences with this Law Enforcement Group, and you can ask yourself as to its fairness. If I take my ORV out on a Private Lake (Mud for example) and am arrested, hopfully the Judge will see that I did everything I could to be Legal, and find me not guilty. If & when that happens my Lawyer and myself will then discuss what happens when a person is falsely arrested. Then we will see what the Game Warden thinks about being on the other side of the Bench. Hopfully he then will get the Attitude Adjustment he so desperately needs.
Up to an Officers Discration. Are you kidding me or what???  Having the privilege to interface with Respectable Law Enforcement,
State Police, County Sheriffs & their Deputy's & City Police: I have always been treated fairly with respect.
Although I have never been arrested by the DNR, everytime I have talked to one in the field or on the water, I have not received the same courtesy or experience. Enough of my opinion on these not so Jovial Officers, it just would be nice to know for sure what a person can & can't do as to ATV's, UTV's & ORV's on ice and public waters. We all see Snowmobiles running around with the same stickers and no one seems to bother them.

Offline DocDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 08, 2015, 11:04 AM »

I will be at Nyona in a hour on mine! It's legal as long as your registered ... no different than a snowmobile ...... them CO's ...... always trying to keep the man down!

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #14 on: Mar 09, 2015, 09:32 AM »
Up to the discretion of the officer.

the only thing up to his discretion is whether or not to write you that ticket.  they dont make up the law.  that dont mean they wont BS you, thats part of their job.  its your job to know the law!  its very good for stopping said BS sessions too.  your on the net go look them up first hand and print off what you feel you mite need.

i have met both kinds of COs.  they arent all bad guys. that being said, all stereo types should always be well heeded!!!     
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline icingill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 10, 2015, 10:24 AM »
The local CO called me Yesterday, He seamed like a very decent guy.
He basically told me that it would be OK on lakes like Mud, Nyona,& Manitu  as long as the ORV is properly registered & the laws followed in The Handbook of Indiana Off-Road Vehicles booklet. The way I understood it Officers Discration meant the same as if you were going 42mph in a 35mph speed zone, it would be up to the Officers Discration to give a verbal or written warning or a ticket.
I now have a much better understanding of what is allowed and what is not. Our CO in Howard County seems to be a much more reasonable person and seems to have a much better attitude than the most of the others. As previously stated basically people are different, thus they have different attitudes & outlooks on completing their assignments. Our CO seems to be what I would like to see in a Representative of the Indiana Fish & Wildlife Department as a Conservation Officer. Not a fellow with a chip on his shoulder. and surly not someone who would invent an infraction if he couldn't find one. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.