New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Spawning grounds ??? Still frigid temps!!!  (Read 1158 times)

Offline Captain1978

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Spawning grounds ??? Still frigid temps!!!
« on: Feb 27, 2015, 09:34 AM »
Just wondering anyone fishing for Pike and Walleye are moving their locations to spawning grounds? With these frigid temps and all the fish may not relocate just yet. Unless the really smart ones have calendars. I actually would move to this one location I call the Batcave but I am limited on time tomorrow. Next week for sure.
EL CAPITANO !!!

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Spawning grounds ??? Still frigid temps!!!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2015, 09:38 AM »
I was thinking the same, I had planned on targeting walleye this weekend but I don't think they will be in their staging area yet, now I'm leaning towards lakers
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2015, 10:00 AM »
Started fishing a staging area on the way toward spawning grounds earlier in the week....
Lots of smaller walleye only one keeper...
Budweiser pro staff

Offline Captain1978

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2015, 10:35 AM »
Started fishing a staging area on the way toward spawning grounds earlier in the week....
Lots of smaller walleye only one keeper...

For Pike and Walleye, the males move in first. Followed by the females a week or two later.... It is still very  cold.... Honestly could be looking at a later spawn....Unless this artic blast this weekend is the last one.
EL CAPITANO !!!

OneidaAngler

« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2015, 11:09 AM »
Just wondering anyone fishing for Pike and Walleye are moving their locations to spawning grounds? With these frigid temps and all the fish may not relocate just yet. Unless the really smart ones have calendars. I actually would move to this one location I call the Batcave but I am limited on time tomorrow. Next week for sure.

The 'eyes and pike won't be staging for a week or two. With all this snow on top of the ice blocking light penetration, and the below average temps that are supposed to be around next week, the fish will be sticking to their mid-winter locations. I like a later spawn anyway, keeps the walleyes in the creeks and rivers for the first few weeks of the season.  ;D

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2015, 11:41 AM »
I've always paid more attention to water temp than the calender. Those fish don't care what month it is.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline ice man88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2015, 12:47 PM »
I fish pre spawn walleye in open water a lot,and last year the males were on theyre spawning grounds as early as march 5 and pike as well..I think the longer days are a bigger factor on the move to staging areas..I think water temp is a trigger for the actual spawning itself

Offline Captain1978

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2015, 01:07 PM »
I fish pre spawn walleye in open water a lot,and last year the males were on theyre spawning grounds as early as march 5 and pike as well..I think the longer days are a bigger factor on the move to staging areas..I think water temp is a trigger for the actual spawning itself

You sr could not be more right!!!
EL CAPITANO !!!

Offline ejp419

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2015, 04:53 PM »
I think this hold true for most animals and fish. A lot of people are saying the Striper run will be late. They'll be here when the daylight is long enough. If the water temp is a little low they won't be has active and the numbers may not be here, but some will be here and it doesn't matter the temperature...JMO

Offline Captain1978

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 27, 2015, 08:02 PM »
I think this hold true for most animals and fish. A lot of people are saying the Striper run will be late. They'll be here when the daylight is long enough. If the water temp is a little low they won't be has active and the numbers may not be here, but some will be here and it doesn't matter the temperature...JMO

Now I believe in what you are saying until you contradicted yourself with " it doesn't matter the temperature"....... LOL :woot:
EL CAPITANO !!!

Offline captin bill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 28, 2015, 03:38 AM »
Its all about the sun moon and food ::)

Offline ejp419

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 28, 2015, 04:31 AM »
Now I believe in what you are saying until you contradicted yourself with " it doesn't matter the temperature"....... LOL :woot:
The temperature doesn't matter as much as the daylight. Daylight determines when they start. Temperature gets the masses showing up and increases their activity..  ;D

fordman

« Reply #12 on: Feb 28, 2015, 05:47 AM »
Day light = time. They can only hold the eggs so long.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.