New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Anyone ever ice fish Mohawk River?  (Read 1895 times)

Offline Icelife4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quit the b***hin and start fishin
Anyone ever ice fish Mohawk River?
« on: Feb 26, 2015, 08:48 PM »
Looking for some info , anyone on here ice fish the mohawk for crappies , like the little coves and ponds that run off , me and my buddy are heading to a spot to try and just looking for input ... I'm chasing panfish but if depths are right I won't be afraid to drop a #5 rap down for a chance at an eye

Offline ice freak77

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Anyone ever ice fish Mohawk River?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2015, 05:33 AM »
i havent fished it this year but i have fished lock 7 on the upper end where the boat ramp is.pretty fun spots 1 minute you are pulling up a perch next drop could be a 3lb eye.ice gets pretty thick in there.good luck

Offline Icelife4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2015, 05:37 AM »
Thank you ! I was think of going below lock 7 but hey upper part is worth a shot too if lower isn't doing to good ! My first time going on ice on the river , people are saying it's over 20" but still a little nervous lol

Offline RedneckofLatham

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2015, 05:54 AM »
There is plenty of ice top side of 7

Online Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2015, 05:57 AM »
  I was think of going below lock 7 but hey upper part is worth a shot too if lower isn't doing to good ! 

Your are always safer fishing the upper part of the lock than the lower...  The lower will always have more of a current that the top...  That lock might be closed but its not water proof...   Did you ever see one in the summer? Water is still pouring out of it....
Great fishing on the canal...   Have fun and be safe......
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2015, 06:34 AM »
Had no issue fishing the bottom side last year.  We even put a few traps near the lock doors.  No current to be found that trip.  Ice was thick.  Toothy fish were absent.

Offline Icelife4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2015, 06:46 AM »
Do you guys get good panfish in the shallow weedy spots?

Offline butch76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2015, 06:54 AM »
I to lock 7 for the first time last Sunday, a few people were set up inside the bay above the lock fishing for crappies, not sure how they did.  My friend and I fished just outside the bay and got a small pike was all.

There is about 20" of ice, slush, and snow.  Probably around a foot of solid ice but plenty safe then.

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2015, 07:34 AM »
 a few years back i fished it all the time,all type of fish.just watch
the moving water
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline Captain1978

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 27, 2015, 09:16 AM »
I fish the river  A LOT A LOT A LOT !!! And I will say this.....  ICE BAR ICE BAR ICE BAR !!!!!!!!!!!! If you are in any  new spot for that matter ice bar should be in hand. But especially on the river. Down below that channel comes in fast by the point of the jetti. There is also a creek that comes in at the end of the wall. The wall on the left side if you are looking upstream. And up top the channel runs by the mouth of the  bay. I'm not trying to scare you off just be smart and be safe.
EL CAPITANO !!!

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 27, 2015, 10:05 AM »
Just off Sander's mansion in Scotia used to be a popular spot, but I think that was mostly perch.

Offline jdog42

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 27, 2015, 01:16 PM »
I was wondering can you keep fish out of the Mohawk to eat I don't fish it but know people that do

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 27, 2015, 01:56 PM »
You can keep them out of the Mohawk except down below Cohoes, which is covered by the PCB rules.  They used to have an off taste (kind of like the water smelled if you stood near a dam).  I haven't eaten one in 35 years from there, maybe they taste OK now.

Offline Icelife4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 28, 2015, 08:59 AM »
We fished , marked not one fish , no lookers or anything ! Ended up headed to mariaville and the same thing over 75 holes drilled and not a fish marked or caught I'm grabbing the shotgun and hitting the woods today I need a break lol

Offline tree-on

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 02, 2015, 07:49 AM »
I headed out on Sunday Morning. Plenty of ice, no fish. Hit one odd spot, 6-8 inches down hit a pocket of water, then another foot or so if ice after that. Sucked with the hand auger. Was above lock 7. One other fisherman out, did not see any action.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.