The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Best cordless drill for auger coversion??  (Read 8262 times)

Offline Pappy24

• IceShanty Rookie
Best cordless drill for auger coversion??
« on: Feb 26, 2015, 01:57 PM »
Howdy, thick ice here ,  need opinions on best cordless set up for a 6 or 8 inch auger. Maxing out the guts in My 18v Makita. Thanks in advance and be safe out there.

luv2fish2

Re: Best cordless drill for auger coversion??
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2015, 02:06 PM »
check the equip thread tons of comparison it's been discussed to death  :o

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2015, 05:17 PM »
just  buy a  real  auger

Offline ThisGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2015, 05:28 PM »
The bigger the better. 32v or more
This house is protected by the good Lord and a gun

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2015, 05:57 AM »
just  buy a  real  auger
Maybe he can't afford one................... ...
Just sayin...
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline zaphod4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fishing,my drug of choice
« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2015, 07:51 PM »
Google the Ice Kicker II.
Love it.
Bought one a few years ago.Started by using a 12v cordless.Worked really good so long as blades were sharp.
Battery would die after about 15 holes with 12-15" of ice.Last year I moved up to an 18V.Bring 3 batteries with me.Never gone through 2 of them though.Can get a good 20-30 holes of 12-15" of ice per battery.

Offline Dark Cloud

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2015, 09:50 PM »
just  buy a  real  auger

I kinda lost count but she drilled about 55 holes through a foot of ice the other day on the first battery. Love this thing! no smell, light, and always starts...  ;D

Offline Dark Cloud

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2015, 09:56 PM »
As per the original question - read through the threads in the equipment forum.
I started out with a "cheaper" drill and it lasted a few trips and about 40 holes total. After my research I was going with the dewault hammer 20v or the Milwaukee fuel. Ended up with the Fuel with no regrets. The brushless hammer drills seem to be the way to go. and 4ah batteries. Milwaukee's batteries defiantly get the highest grades out there. I don't even bother keeping them warm. Though I almost never fish in below 0 temps...

Offline bryantukkah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 28, 2015, 01:46 AM »
just  buy a  real  auger

I dont think hes putting a fence in his yard or building a deck so "real augers" are probably out of the question.  As far as ice augers go... Cordless drill operated ones are the cats behind.  Unless of course you like dealing with gas, oil, spark plugs, bulky heavy things, pull starting and idling when its freezing cold out, burning holes in your tent, maintenance, and having something that is totally useless taking up space 8 months out of the year i would suggest getting a milwaukee fuel and never looking back.  They are so choice.  And if you do just so hapoen to be building a deck or fence in the future i would imagine that milwaukee would come in a little more handy than a gas ice auger.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Feb 28, 2015, 06:56 AM »
well  before  veryone  sticks  there  internet  chest  out  lets  think  about  this  and I  will  show  why I made the  statement and  it's  the  best  advice  being  offered....cost

dewault hammer 20v theres  a  easy  250 bucks  plus  a  extra  batt  over  300

should we count the  100 dollar  drill you already burned up?

the  lazer auger  you plan on  turning into this  fine  tuned  recharable wonder ...120????

clam  drill plate  ....70  bucks 

so   between  cost  of  items  and  running  around  getting  them   not  mentioning  the   drill  everyone  burns up  you  got   about  500  to  550  invested  in  a great  way  to open  old holes

for  500  you  can have a  brand  new  ion electric  or  350  a  gas .......

this  isn't  just opinion  I  did  the  electric  drill thing ......I  got a  new  Honda four stroke   on sale  at  bass  pro  and  my drill is  in  the  tool shed where it  belongs

Offline touge30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 28, 2015, 07:57 AM »
trapper I am really considering that new honda.I have been using a strikemaster magnum 10,inch for the last 15,yrs it has been a great machine one gas tank and line in 15yrs still has the same pull cord.And Im hard on stuff.Give me your honest opinion on this honda is it going to be a workhorse like thier atvs.or should I send mine back to the factory for a makeover its getting on in years.Thanks Wes

Offline nessman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 28, 2015, 08:02 AM »
Just buy yourself a Nils hand auger.

Offline Eaglecrg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 28, 2015, 10:33 AM »
Nessman:  Already did.  Cuts great, light weight, always starts, and never runs out of gas.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Feb 28, 2015, 10:55 AM »
trapper I am really considering that new honda.I have been using a strikemaster magnum 10,inch for the last 15,yrs it has been a great machine one gas tank and line in 15yrs still has the same pull cord.And Im hard on stuff.Give me your honest opinion on this honda is it going to be a workhorse like thier atvs.or should I send mine back to the factory for a makeover its getting on in years.Thanks Wes

best  thing I  ever  did!  it  starts   by the  second  pull  every time!  no mixing  gas!   the  tank  SEALS  so nothing  stinks ...it is  not loud,it's light  and it  cuts like a  dream ...I can honestly  say best thing I ever purchased  for ice fishing

Offline lakerdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 28, 2015, 11:18 AM »
I kinda lost count but she drilled about 55 holes through a foot of ice the other day on the first battery. Love this thing! no smell, light, and always starts...  ;D       

(Image removed from quote.)
         hey DC . Do you have to remove the chuck for that setup looks nice . I think I would like to try this for when the ice isn't to thick

Offline bryantukkah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 28, 2015, 11:28 AM »
well  before  veryone  sticks  there  internet  chest  out  lets  think  about  this  and I  will  show  why I made the  statement and  it's  the  best  advice  being  offered....cost

dewault hammer 20v theres  a  easy  250 bucks  plus  a  extra  batt  over  300

should we count the  100 dollar  drill you already burned up?

the  lazer auger  you plan on  turning into this  fine  tuned  recharable wonder ...120????

clam  drill plate  ....70  bucks 

so   between  cost  of  items  and  running  around  getting  them   not  mentioning  the   drill  everyone  burns up  you  got   about  500  to  550  invested  in  a great  way  to open  old holes

for  500  you  can have a  brand  new  ion electric  or  350  a  gas .......

this  isn't  just opinion  I  did  the  electric  drill thing ......I  got a  new  Honda four stroke   on sale  at  bass  pro  and  my drill is  in  the  tool shed where it  belongs

Ok heres my .02 on the "cost" of ownership.....

New drill with lifetime warranty on it and the batteries.  $279

Came with a free $100 tool at the time of purchase... Got a $100 circular saw.

Mailed in a rebate, got another $40 off...

So thats the drill, 2 4ah batteries and a 9" circular saw for $239.

Mora auger $50

Adapter $15

I didnt burn up and old drill so thats off the table.

Dont need a clam drill plate for anything, drill works great without it, so thats off the table.

I sold my badly used gas auger that stunk, was heavy, and took up a lot of space for $225.

That puts my new drill, saw, batteries, auger and adapter at $80.

$80... Ive used ice fishing rods that cost more.

I consider it a massive upgrade for $80.  I do not miss lugging around that strikemaster.  I will drill fifteen holes before the guy next to me pull starts, idles his gas auger up and drills one hole.  (Assuming he doesnt have any on the ice issues with his gas engine and it does actually start) some days id be the only one with an auger now.

4ah batteries and a 6" mora will absolutely shred 150 holes through 6-7" of ice each.  Thats over 1500 inches of ice on 2 batteries.  Recharges in under an hour..... Takes longer to recharge a graph so unless you fish without a flasher youre recharging every time you go out anyways, takes ten seconds extra to hook the battery charger up.

The drill and saw will get used for the rest of my life... For $80.  Is that expensive?

Offline HardWater518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 28, 2015, 11:34 AM »
I went with the new ION auger and love it. Don't get me wrong, I have a dewalt drill hooked to a 6" auger as well and that is great for bouncing around and fishing for perch/panfish. The ION 8" is used more for tipups, but i also love using it for perch fishing as well...

Offline warmhamsandwich

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 28, 2015, 11:47 AM »
Clam kit//    144.
Extension//   16.
Kobalt 20v//159.
Rips through the ice.  Just keep your batteries warm when not in use.  I use a soft insulated lunch box with a couple of hot hands in it.
My friend has the same set up but uses a 28v Milwaukee.
It also rips all day. 
I got my kit for Xmas and 10% off for being a vet on the drill at Lowes.  So I've got about 160. Into it.  I sold my 10" 30 jiffy for 175.  I'm up 15.00!!!  Even if you have to purchase the clam kit its with every penny just to lighten your load.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Feb 28, 2015, 11:49 AM »
HT  has  the  ion  as  well  ...I  know  guys  love  them 

so  I  got  my Honda  on  sale  for 379  and  sold my old  auger   for  250  I have  129 invested  ....  sorry  math don't  work that way  ..... selling  something  doesn't take  of  from the  cost of a  new  one  .... 

im  telling  you  my  PERSONAL OPINION FRON EXPERANCE !!!!   the  drills  don't  hold  up!   and  if  you invest in a  expensive  hammer  drill  and auger   it  makes  more  sense  to  just go buy  something that is  made for ice fishing and  not building houses 

i'm  willing to  bet  my  379 dollar  Honda  will  cut more  holes  and last  many many more years then a hand  drill with adaptor...and that's  what I want  ...I want  something that  will  cut  20 to 40 holes  every day  (I fish  a lot)  and last  for  many years  ...my last  auger  lasted  30 years and is still  going  ...to me that's  worth the money....

if  experimenting  and  working on  this  is  your thing  God bless  you  and  have  fun  ..I know  mine  did  work  for  awhile....  but I personally  think they are a  fad

im  answering the  orginal  question  what  drill in my opinion is  best  ...a  strikemaster  Honda   or a  ion

Offline bryantukkah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 28, 2015, 12:23 PM »
If and when my drill breaks or my batteries stop working i will just get a factory replacement through the lifetime warranty... Free... Forever.  That being said... Mine will work forever.
If that math didnt work, heres some more.
My drill came with an impact driver and a circular saw for $240.  Can we call it $80 per tool? 
So heres my revised math without subtracting what i got for my old one. 
$80 for the drill
$50 for the auger
$15 for the adapter.
You proved me wrong...
The whole setup was way less.... $145.
Cheaper than a nils not much more than a lazer.
Way cheaper than your honda.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Feb 28, 2015, 12:41 PM »
that's  great  bryan  .... if  my Honda  ever breaks  down i'll call ya  to  drill me a  few  holes......

Offline bryantukkah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 28, 2015, 12:51 PM »
that's  great  bryan  .... if  my Honda  ever breaks  down i'll call ya  to  drill me a  few  holes......
And you'll be paying for parts to fix it or probably paying someone else to fix it.  If mine ever breaks ill just drive to the store and they'll hand me a new one. 

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Feb 28, 2015, 01:07 PM »
i'll have  you to  drill holes  till it gets  fixed  ...i'm all set now
 ;D

Offline bryantukkah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 28, 2015, 01:12 PM »
i'll have  you to  drill holes  till it gets  fixed  ...i'm all set now
 ;D

^^ This is how my little sister ended arguments 15 years ago.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Feb 28, 2015, 03:14 PM »
we  were  arguing?

ain't that  something  my little  sister  would  think  we  were  fighting  everytime I  disagreed  with her too  ...50 years ago .....

im not  arguing with your  at all bryan  .... I merely  stating my opinion  what I think is  best....and I really  would  let you  drill holes ...honest ;D

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Feb 28, 2015, 03:34 PM »

I got your argument????

YOU WANT SOME OF THIS??????

beat you like a puppy that peed on the  rug

Offline Bug-Eye-Brew

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Catch and Release into the Grease
« Reply #26 on: Feb 28, 2015, 07:27 PM »
Just used my clam adaptor today for the second time, 7" lazier auger, Ridgid 18 volt with the new 4.0 ah, 18-20" of ice , best purchase I made this year. It's lighter then my Mag 2000 of witch I sold after my first outing with the electric, no gas to mess with, no hoping it starts, no dirty looks from other fisherman close by and best of all no smoke. For me I'm very happy I made the switch. Money had nothing to do with my choice of changing to electric. It's a simple system that works, just my two cents ......
Age is an issue of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter ... Mark Twain

Offline Dark Cloud

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Mar 01, 2015, 09:51 AM »
         hey DC . Do you have to remove the chuck for that setup looks nice . I think I would like to try this for when the ice isn't to thick

Yes you have to remove the chuck... 22 inches of ice yesterday about 30 holes till first battery died

I for one am happy with all the new drill/electric options. 5 year warranty on my drill and with the number of holes its drilled for my 70 year old father this year, it owes me nothing...
I love ice fishing more than just about anything but If a gas power auger was my only option to drill holes, i'd give up the sport...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.