The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: DO YOU FISH ALONE?!?  (Read 3240 times)

Offline pastaboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH - ON!
DO YOU FISH ALONE?!?
« on: Feb 26, 2015, 01:13 PM »
I like to go by myself once in a while, just for some peace and quiet and to collect my thoughts. On the other hand, I do have a few good buds that I like to fish and hang with. I like to share the "experience", and it is fun to razz my buddies about how my fish were bigger or I caught the most..... :whistle:

Offline WaterfowlNut!

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: DO YOU FISH ALONE?!?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2015, 01:18 PM »
I don't like to fish by myself but it seems like everybody has already got plans by the time I ask then so I end up going alone... :-\
Tight lines everyone!

Offline Go Lions!!!!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2015, 01:21 PM »
Fishing with buds is obviously great...but I enjoy some alone time on the ice or in a boat as well. Great way to gather your thoughts and take a breather...and you get all the good spots to yourself!!!!!!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2015, 01:29 PM »
ill go whenever.if no one wants to go I have no problem heading out alone.if I was to wait for buds to find time to go I wouldn't get out half as much.

Offline Fishking83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2015, 01:53 PM »
ill go whenever.if no one wants to go I have no problem heading out alone.if I was to wait for buds to find time to go I wouldn't get out half as much.
X2. I fish by myself a majority of the time.

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2015, 01:54 PM »
either way i am gone fishing with or with out friends. its easier for me to go alone since i do so much for my friends except one of them is self sufficient. then i use my flip thats easier to pull.

some times my friends are already there and giving reports.

most are old school and have nothing except an old rod they made back in the depression days and a bucket. kind of hard to fish super cold days with winds like we have been getting. some just can't spring for the comforts and join me to get shelter and heat and tips and friendship.

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2015, 01:58 PM »
Fish by myself a lot after the first ice brigade...always fun to fish with friends, but most days after work i go alone. I don't mind it at all. Lots of time, I see people i know, while I'm out..so it's not really alone.
It's always fun to find an undiscovered school of fish...with no one around..
Paul

Wow...I thought I was on the Indiana site...lol...

Offline Zink

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2015, 02:11 PM »
Fish by myself half the time cuz friends are busy snow mobiling, hunting or with family. Got 4 man shanty so can spread out nicely when alone. I always tear down before dark when by myself just for safety reasons not that going alone is safe. Got a floating Artic Armor suit so makes my wife feel better.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2015, 03:45 PM »
All the time, got fed up with those I used to fish with. Too much whining, unwillingness to put the figure it out time/work in, reliance on me to HAVE all the little extras needed and to do all the driving or not even show up. Generally fish lakes I've known since the 60's and hook up with guys I've known by sight a very long time out there (not sure of their names, we just start talking like they were at my house last night). Just remain safe and cautious going/fishing on my terms is so much more relaxing

Offline Joe in T.C.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2015, 04:05 PM »
Just me and my pal Johnny Walker

And his brothers Black and Red. :laugh:

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 26, 2015, 04:06 PM »
All the time, got fed up with those I used to fish with. Too much whining, unwillingness to put the figure it out time/work in, reliance on me to HAVE all the little extras needed and to do all the driving or not even show up. Generally fish lakes I've known since the 60's and hook up with guys I've known by sight a very long time out there (not sure of their names, we just start talking like they were at my house last night). Just remain safe and cautious going/fishing on my terms is so much more relaxing
              Same here, 90% of the time, by myself, I'm never late, and I pick where I want to go!!

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 26, 2015, 04:56 PM »
I have some great friends and great times fishing with them. That being said, the favors get reciprocated very little.  Rarely do I find anyone who is willing to put in the time that I do on different lakes. Do to life, I cannot get out as much as I would like too. But I am coasting on info, and patterns of fish I hunted in past years. I AM A LONE WOLF FOR NOW.
Bullet with a name on it.

Offline Nwfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 26, 2015, 06:50 PM »
Yes, and love it:)

Offline Swedish Pimp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 26, 2015, 07:00 PM »
With and without. Fishing by myself is often preferred. I move when I want to,fish where I want to and go home when I want to. Fishing with most of my buddies is fun but they are not as intense as me. I fish harder and longer.

Offline SRJS28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 26, 2015, 07:13 PM »
I usually like to fish with a buddy. If not i will most likely take my son

Offline tazdevil300

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 26, 2015, 07:38 PM »
get bored fast by myself,most always with someone

Offline pastaboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH - ON!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 26, 2015, 07:59 PM »
The guys I do choose to fish with are hard core! I wouldn't have it any other way. These guys are like methed up blood hounds when we hit the ice. Leave NO open hole unturned and keep drillin' until we find 'em and stay on them. 1-2 guys start drilling and one checking holes. We are usually pretty productive. On the other hand, sneaking a week day off to hit the ice/water sure has it's rewards. I can actually NOT hear myself think. Like a lot of you say, I can go where and when I want, move as much or as little as I want and go home when I choose.

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 26, 2015, 08:30 PM »
With buds early ice. By myself after its thick. Soft water almost always by myself during steelhead fishing. I get tired of teaching people how to fish..ha
Beer is proof that god loves us-ben franklin

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 26, 2015, 08:35 PM »
I fish alone, yeah
With nobody else
I fish alone, yeah
With nobody else
You know when I fish alone
I prefer to be by myself

But sometimes I fish with other people too
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 26, 2015, 08:44 PM »
 I usually fish alone but the last year I started taking my grandsons with me if they are around. One is 4 and the other is 6. They have a ball and when they catch a fish you can hear them over the whole lake. The only problem is when it comes time to leave they are not ready to go. These are some of the best moments of being a grand parent

Offline redhorseking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 26, 2015, 08:47 PM »
I used to have a few great buds to ice fish with. nowadays it's to cold, I did not buy a new coat, don't have good boots, I don't like your shanty but will not buy one for myself, and on and on!
so my best fishing partner is my old man! we move slow, get sore easily, but enjoy our time together. when my friend want's to go, we can never agree on a place to fish 90% of the time! a guy I taught how to ice fish for eye's 20 years ago.
I toad a soo!

Offline rp dog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 26, 2015, 09:12 PM »
Like to fish by myself or with freinds but they whine and cry stomp there feet wait a minute i think that was me.

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 26, 2015, 09:35 PM »
Pretty much everything alone..Kids gone, retired, hunt alone, fish alone, have a cold one alone,..Someday they'll find me...that won't be a good day..

Offline dgb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Gill Time!
« Reply #23 on: Feb 26, 2015, 10:17 PM »
Yep....me to

Offline Able2fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 26, 2015, 11:21 PM »
I fish alone more than with others but prefer to go as a group. It's fun to take a newbie out or someone who hasn't been on the ice in years. Put them on some fish! Either way I try to get out as often as possible while the ice is here. 

Offline wishing4winter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 27, 2015, 08:10 AM »
I have fished alone more in past years. This year it seems one of my boys or my youngest boys (21 yr old) fishing buddy seem to tag along.  Always fun to have company    But I like to fish alone too
I like to fish spots that don't look like parking lots with the crowds     Not that I am anti social. Quite the opposite   I tend to strike up conversations but I just like the solitude sometimes

Offline EatenByLimestone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 27, 2015, 08:15 AM »
When I go out with a bunch of guys we end up drinking and eating more than fishing...

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 27, 2015, 08:16 AM »
95% of the time I fish by myself.  Between work and family obligations I have only certain times in which I can fish and want to take advantage of that time.  Don't get me wrong, I do fish with a few Shanty members from time to time, and I am sure there are some of you guys that have been on the lake with me but we are usually too busy fishing to even know it until someone posts and I realized we are at the same lake or I may have talked to you in passing.  Pastaboy, I think you are one of them.  :)

Last night fished solo from 5:30-10.  Took 18 holes, 2 tangles rigs, and 6 lure changes on my main rod to find the specs and what they wanted, and they were only a 1.5' below the ice for a 15 minutes and gone.  By dark I had the lake to myself and even heard a few yotes in the background and a sky full of stars.  Priceless. 

Offline Machine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 27, 2015, 08:51 AM »
I fish alone most of the time.  Retired and most others work.  The bad part is when I do really well theres no one to see,  That can be a good thing as if people see what you get you wont be alone long.  The area I like to fish is not very large.
Life is tough, Its tougher when you're stupid

Offline Capt J

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Mar 03, 2015, 08:16 PM »
 ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.